Hibiclens before strep b test...what is the procedure? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what the protocol for this is?

Where do you buy it? Is there a certain kind? How do you use it?

I am planning my 3rd home birth, but if you have no GBS test on file it's an automatic 48 hour stay for baby in the event of a transfer.
While I have no intentions of a transfer, if I did have one I definitely want out asap. I just want a neg test.
#2 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 AM

There's not really a protocol for doing a Hibiclens douche before the GBS test.

You can find more info about GBS testing and infection here:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0501/p1106.html

http://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

I highly recommend the second article.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I know there are women who have used hydrogen peroxide or hibiclens to get a negative test....Please post if you have info on how to do that...thanks! smile.gif
#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

http://www.everythingbirth.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Hibiclens-PES19335

1 part solution in 15 to 20 parts water. You can get GBS back between now and birth so if your waters break very early in labor or baby comes preterm you might still want the abx.

#5 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I definitely will treat if any high risk event arises. I have a history of very fast births and babies born in the cull. I would typically decline the test. But we have moved to a new state with a 48 hour mandatory stay for babe if you decline the test. Hopefully I just won't need a transfer and this is all a moot point. Thanks again.
#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was positive for GBS with my first pregnancy, and I ended up on IV antibiotics during the laboring process.

My second was born at home over 4 years later, but I saw an OB for most of my pregnancy instead of a midwife.  I had a GBS test at the normal time, but it was negative.  I had been using home remedies like garlic and tea tree oil topically, because I tended to have yeast issues while pregnant anyway, and the tea tree oil was really good for that.  I didn't insert anything nor douche, just did topical treatments. I noticed that when I ate refined sugar, I tended to get the yeast issues, so I made sure to watch that, and with the topical treatment, my yeast issues went away long before I took the GBS test, which was negative.  I gather that GBS colonization in early pregnancy can mimic yeast infection symptoms, so either way, I felt that treating it at home was better than just letting it go unchecked, even if it was just a yeast issue.  

In any event, this site mentions alternative treatments for GBS colonization: http://holisticsquid.com/alternative-treatment-for-gbs/

#7 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After I was positive in my last pregnancy, this is the procedure rec'd by my home birth midwife. http://mountainviewmidwives.com/group_b_strep.html I followed it and knocked out the infection and retested negative. I'm sorry but I don't link to the very good European research about the effectiveness of this approach. My water breaks before I go into labor usually at least 12h and then I have a very short labor and thus I wanted the infection gone, not just a good test. I had oral antibiotics on hand as well.

I picked up hibclens at a regular drugstore.

#8 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

thus I wanted the infection gone, not just a good test. I had oral antibiotics on hand as well.

I picked up hibclens at a regular drugstore.

Well, I felt that was what I was advocating with my approach, not just a negative test, but I will admit that I don't really understand all the issues.  I was doing treatment because I felt I needed it, and I don't know if it helped with GBS or not, I just know that I tested negatively in my second pregnancy, so I assumed that meant I wasn't having the same issues.

phathui5 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page