Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

Old 05-10-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Welcome @shelley4 .  You're doing an amazing thing.

So AFM today... I am having that morning sickness that I remember from my first pregnancy 5 years ago.  It's awful.  I haven't even had the chance to eat yet because it's been that bad.  It's nothing but acid and is giving me an awful headache.  :/

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita4 View Post

Yes I watched it. But then I read all the horror stories of home births gone wrong wink1.gif.

Oh there are a million horror stories of hospital births gone horribly wrong. That's why I attempted a homebirth w my first that ended in cs unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post

Home birth isn't even an option for me since I went into this high risk, and after all the complications that came with Connor. If it was an option, I wouldn't want it. This house is a rental and I feel completely uncomfortable here on a regular day. Giving birth to my child here wouldn't be the happiest of experiences.

I'd love to have a home water birth. That would be so beautiful.

Many choose no to HB due to not having a comfortable home environment. Is water birth at your hospital an option?

AFM this is exactly why I am stressing out right now. I want to have baby at home but I don't want to transfer like last time. I really don't trust the hospital setting but that's is where I'm going. Where I live here in Portland Or there are tons and tons of options for giving birth and it is overwhelming. I do appreciate choice though.

Me , DH , DS 11/11, M/C 08/13 , #2 EDD 10/11/14 
Old 05-10-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubluv View Post

Oh there are a million horror stories of hospital births gone horribly wrong. That's why I attempted a homebirth w my first that ended in cs unfortunately.
Many choose no to HB due to not having a comfortable home environment. Is water birth at your hospital an option?

AFM this is exactly why I am stressing out right now. I want to have baby at home but I don't want to transfer like last time. I really don't trust the hospital setting but that's is where I'm going. Where I live here in Portland Or there are tons and tons of options for giving birth and it is overwhelming. I do appreciate choice though.

My OB said we could discuss that around 6/7 months.  My hospital is currently remodeling and upgrading to a trauma 1 type hospital or something like that.  So we're still not sure if I'm even going to give birth in my hospital, or the next town over.  We are planning natural birth right now, so that way I don't get my hopes up for something that isn't available.  The hospital in the next town over is beautiful and I wouldn't mind being there instead.  It is such a better hospital, regardless of all the changes they're making to mine. 

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaG View Post

This sounds like something I could've written! I have a little bit of experience with sourdough and the advice I can offer is
1. If you store it in the fridge, Are you letting your starter grow at room temp and feeding it every 4-6 hours for 24 hours before making anything with it?
2. Do you get hooch on top of your starter? If you do, pour it off.
3. Lengthen your rising time to 12-24 hours.
4. If you have the equipment, grind fresh flour or buy as freshly ground flour as you can.

That's all my sourdough wisdom. I kept at it for a few months a few years back but it got too tedious (read: too many failed loaves)

Good luck and please let us know how this latest batch turned out smile.gif

I've already done all of that except for freshly grinding flour, b/c I have found that that makes an even DENSER loaf, lol. But I have wheat berries, a Vitamix, AND a flour grinder, but it's such noisy work that I have to wear earplugs, so that's another reason I don't do it.

As for how it turned out, it was super crunchy in the crust and very moist (like, TOO moist) in the crumb, but it was my first loaf that actually "tasted" like sourdough, with that little bit of tang. The kids ate the pieces that I sliced off. My four-year-old took the heel and said that it was "crunchy." Then he noticed the cut side of the piece and said, "And it has holes in it." He paused for a second and then added, "Did you poke the holes in it?" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maof1 View Post

AFM, we are telling DS today he is going to be a big brother! I can't wait to see his face! He has wanted a sibling since he was 4! He is 8 now.

Awww, let us know how it goes. orngbiggrin.gif

AFM - re: the home/hospital discussion, I've had hospital, home, hospital (this was my c-section), home. This time, we're planning a birth center birth. The hospital near the birth center has a GREAT relationship with them (and is a bigger hospital than the one in the town we live in), so if we have to transfer at some point (though I'm not expecting to), then I'd rather transfer there where there's known support.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As a first time mom, I will be using the hospital. and we have connections so they won't be too pushy wink1.gif. Good for you home birthers! Just not my thing right now... smile.gif

In other news: after awful morning sickness this week and a diet of only fruit and crackers.... Baby wanted pizza hut bread sticks. Surprisingly they did not make me nauseous. .... we'll see if they stay down. I'm learning various tricks to make this barable.... Some days are better than others. I can't wait to pick my mother's brain tomorrow when we tell them smile.gif. She was sick for 7 months with me..... I'm just praying that is not the case for us. I don't even know if I can take four more weeks of this greensad.gif.

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
Old 05-10-2014, 02:43 PM

11 weeks. Ugh and sicker than the other 10.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 PM

I think I said it before but some people might have joined since then. When I had m/s in the past, chicken bouillon was one of the only things that regularly stayed down for me. The combination of heat and salt and fluids really helped. I also did a lot of Jello and saltines during those days, too.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Well, we told DS today. My sister made him a shirt. I told him I have a secret to tell him but he can't tell ANYONE. (We still haven't told SO's family yet.) little sister told him she made a shirt for him. She unfolded it and showed him. He asked, "really?" And we told him yes. He looked at me then my stomach and said, "are you really?!?" I said yes and his jaw dropped! You could see the excitement on his face. It was precious! He's already even saying I don't need to drive bc the seatbelt is too tight on my belly and can hurt the baby.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

aww, that's so sweet!! 

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Aww I love his reaction! And his protection already over his little baby sibling. love.gif:

Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Happy Mother's Day!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 AM

Happy mothers day smile.gif

Has anyone ever tried Zofran for nausea? My doc just ordered it for me greensad.gif

Old 05-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Has anyone ever tried Zofran for nausea? My doc just ordered it for me greensad.gif

I've taken it for non-pregnancy-related nausea and the stuff is M-A-G-I-C. It works amazingly well. If and when I experience nausea with this pregnancy I fully plan on asking my midwife for some Zofran. I've done a lot of research on it and it is safe during pregnancy.

I hope it helps with the nausea!

newly married and pregnant, due January 2015.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

Hope everyone had a great mother's day weekend.

i am officially 8 weeks and the nausea is a beast. I am so sick of being sick and then I remember why I'm sick and smile through the waves of wanting to empty my guts LOL

Anyway, I feel ok. My bump is hard to hide but I have to continue trying my best. We are working on our pregnancy announcement to send out to everyone in June

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyMo View Post

Hope everyone had a great mother's day weekend.

i am officially 8 weeks and the nausea is a beast. I am so sick of being sick and then I remember why I'm sick and smile through the waves of wanting to empty my guts LOL

Anyway, I feel ok. My bump is hard to hide but I have to continue trying my best. We are working on our pregnancy announcement to send out to everyone in June

I just put our "official" announcements in the mail this morning.  And we gave one to hubby's mom yesterday.  All she could say was "interesting."  People stink.  I hope your morning sickness finds balance and doesn't put you out of commission! 

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I tried it for nausea with my last pregnancy, but it's technically an anti-vomiting med and not an anti-nausea med. It didn't work "enough" for me to make the side effects (serious constipation) worth it. If you get on it, then I advise also taking stool softeners. I was sooo miserable from that end for the week or so that I had tried it.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:

My OB told me the nausea (and possible vomiting) are going to happen regardless sometimes, so it makes Zofran not so much worth it.  And like @Harmony96 said, the constipation is so awful.  

Last week at the ER, I puked on the RN so they gave me Zofran with my IV fluids.  Not only did it not help, it made the nausea feeling so much worse.  If you feel you absolutely need it, take it.  Though I recommend checking what you're eating, observing when it happens, etc.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-12-2014, 10:47 AM

It's all day and night. I can't function. At this point I am desperate and am going to try it.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:

It's all day and night. I can't function. At this point I am desperate and am going to try it.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/your_pregnancy/hyperemesis_gravidarum.html

http://blog.sharecare.com/2013/08/15/ask-dr-darria-im-pregnant-and-i-cant-stop-vomiting-is-this-normal/

Those links may or may not help.  If it seems like what you're going through, ask your OB/midwife about that.  And ask your mom about her pregnancy/pregnancies.  Any family history you can get is always helpful.  Did the pickle juice method stop helping?

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/your_pregnancy/hyperemesis_gravidarum.html

http://blog.sharecare.com/2013/08/15/ask-dr-darria-im-pregnant-and-i-cant-stop-vomiting-is-this-normal/

Those links may or may not help.  If it seems like what you're going through, ask your OB/midwife about that.  And ask your mom about her pregnancy/pregnancies.  Any family history you can get is always helpful.  Did the pickle juice method stop helping?

Thanks for the concern, yes I have been talking to my mother this week.... She had really, really bad morning sickness but didn't want to be admitted 23 years ago when she was prego with me, they even took her off her prenatal vitamin. I have been taking all the necessary precautions over the past week, doing all the tips and tricks, but it has only gotten worse. My OB is aware of this decided to prescribe me Zofran today. I took it around lunch and felt amazing soon after. I was even able to eat real food that tasted SO good! :) We'll see how the rest of this week goes. The pickle juice lasted for a solid day. I spoke too soon :). Now the thought of eating THAT makes me want to hurl lol. 

My mother, on the other hand, is very against taking ANYTHING during pregnancy and sort of flipped when she found out I took Zofran today, saying it's not safe. I called my Doctor (again) and she assured me that it is a safe "Class B" pregnancy drug, and that they even give it to women up until Labor sometimes. But I'll try not to use it all the time.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

My doc prescribed Zofran this morning. This constant urge to gag is getting really old. I still haven't gained any weight, and I'm really feeling the negative effects of not being able to eat. 11 weeks today, hopefully it gets better soon.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i had my first beta test really early this morning.   still waiting to hear the results.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM

I'm trying to remember that the nausea is a good sign. I've been cranky the party couple days in a way I wasn't before. I'm also trying to remind myself that 11 weeks can still be too early to hear the heartbeat on my Doppler. You know, I really don't remember having this much anxiety with my last pregnancy.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariev View Post

I'm trying to remember that the nausea is a good sign. I've been cranky the party couple days in a way I wasn't before. I'm also trying to remind myself that 11 weeks can still be too early to hear the heartbeat on my Doppler. You know, I really don't remember having this much anxiety with my last pregnancy.

I'm also full of so much anxiety this pregnancy.  It's driving hubby nuts.  Sometimes I just lose control over it.  Just breathe, remember that we are at this last week of the 1st trimester and then our chances are so low that they shouldn't cross our minds.  <3

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Sorry so much nausea for you ladies! At least it means high hormones.
My nausea had lessened. 9 weeks tomorrow and my first appt is Thursday. @innacircle are you still around?!

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Anxiety in a pregnancy after loss is totally normal. ((hugs))

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The anxiety is getting to me. My first appointment is two weeks from tomorrow and i'm so worried something will happen and I'll lose this baby or they'll tell me at my 8 week appointment that there's no baby. Work is super busy and that's helping, but I still worry, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep.
What has helped others to keep the anxiety at bay?

newly married and pregnant, due January 2015.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:

The anxiety is getting to me. My first appointment is two weeks from tomorrow and i'm so worried something will happen and I'll lose this baby or they'll tell me at my 8 week appointment that there's no baby. Work is super busy and that's helping, but I still worry, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep.

Every symptom I felt until my first appointment kept me reassured.  After that appointment, looking at the photo and remembering the heartbeat kept me going pretty much.  Unfortunately, my anxiety continues so I'm on an every 2 week check up schedule.  Lavender oil is suppose to help, but it only does so much for me.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 PM

Darn phone, I meant to say I've been more crampy the past few days.
Quote:

I'm also full of so much anxiety this pregnancy.  It's driving hubby nuts.  Sometimes I just lose control over it.  Just breathe, remember that we are at this last week of the 1st trimester and then our chances are so low that they shouldn't cross our minds.  <3
Thank you Sarah. It's so hard sometimes, trying to bring yourself out of a funk. I can't wait for us both to hit that 12w mark!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

Sorry so much nausea for you ladies! At least it means high hormones.
My nausea had lessened. 9 weeks tomorrow and my first appt is Thursday. @innacircle are you still around?!
I look forward to hearing how your appointment goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

Anxiety in a pregnancy after loss is totally normal. ((hugs))
Hugs to you too. Thank you. I hope I can get a handle on it soon.
Quote:

it's hard, but having the ladies on here to talk to really helps.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Tonight's dinner included another meal the growing muffin does not like!  I made pasta with spinach and freshly grated parmesan cheese.  I know it isn't the pasta that made me feel super nauseous.  Probably the cheese, but I couldn't even stomach looking at it.  So everyone in the house got to eat it but me!  Instead, I'm sitting with my jar of jalapenos and deciding what to mix them with now.

Sarah & DH Alan 

User Tag List
jenjy