Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! - Page 30 - Mothering Forums
First ... 20  28  29  30 31  32  40  ... Last
I'm Pregnant > Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread!
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 03:05 PM 05-26-2014
So.... we have a new "baby" in the house. DH got us a sugar glider today. Apparently from a "bad" breeder and with a bad cage and I need to throw everything out but the glider and start over, according to some group on FB. I'm not fond of the cage so I'll probably be getting or making a new one at some point. The glider is a little girl and we named her Taffy. smile.gif We got her at a booth at the Memorial Day celebration downtown, and she rode in a little zippered pouch around my neck for the rest of the hour or so that we were there. When we got home, I put her in her cage and put her in a quiet room, but every time I try to check on her, she yells at me. greensad.gif Poor thing is scared of me and needs time to adjust. All I can do right now is feed her and maybe in a couple of days she'll start to let me handle her and wear her in the little pouch, so she can start to feel secure with me.

NSMom, yay for a good appointment and hearing the HB. smile.gif I loved the story of your DS telling everybody at the gathering. smile.gif

Re: gender disappointment, I do the same thing NSMom does. I expect a boy each time even though my slight preference is for a girl (that's part of the reason we got a female glider today, lol). The past couple of times, when I've found out it's been another boy, I've been disappointed for about a second, but then as time goes on, I keep seeing half-grown boys and young men here and there and think, "That could be MY DS someday," and I get excited about raising up another boy.

badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 06:11 AM 05-27-2014
@Harmony96 what's a sugar glider? Is it a bird?

Since my UTI started, my nausea and morning sickness have been worse. Like a complete reminder of what my first pregnancy was like. I was trying to blame the meds, but I haven't even taken them yet today and I've puked twice. And it leaves a metallic and iron like taste behind. I have to keep track of all of this for my OB since it might not be a UTI and could be my kidney. I'm trying to chalk this all up to the heat and baby, but when i have the symptoms I'm suppose to keep note of, it freaks me out. First pregnancy caused me to need my gallbladder removed. I'd like to not need more surgeries.

I've been trying not to let it bug me, but today it's hard since hubby worked overnight and is now at his day job. He pretty much has woken up with me to watch out for blood, make sure I don't faint, etc etc. I hate being "babysat." Prior to pregnancy, I was this independent woman who didn't need help and didn't like asking for it. Now I need to, even with the littlest things. He prepped meals for the day for me and put friends "on call" to check in on me. It's nice and all, but I'm only in my 4th month. I should be working and enjoying this weather. Hubby even had to plant the new veggies in the garden that's how bad yesterday went.

I'm sorry I'm whining. It's getting to me already, and I don't know if I can get use to people doing things for me. I'm pretty much mother hen to everyone usually.

I hope everyone else is alright. Sorry for the ranting.
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 06:51 AM 05-27-2014
@badwolf092087 this is a sugar glider. They're a pouch mammal (a marsupial like kangaroos and possums), not a rodent.

And they have a thick membrane between their front and back legs, so they can do this:

maof1's Avatar maof1 01:02 PM 05-27-2014
Well, we told SO's children just a minute ago that the baby isn't going to be the baby anymore. She is going to be a big sister and my DS will be a big brother. They all say they are excited. So happy! They all wanted to see the US picture so we showed them. Hopefully they stay excited about it.
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 03:49 PM 05-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maof1 View Post

Well, we told SO's children just a minute ago that the baby isn't going to be the baby anymore. She is going to be a big sister and my DS will be a big brother. They all say they are excited. So happy! They all wanted to see the US picture so we showed them. Hopefully they stay excited about it.
Glad everyone is excited. I'm sure blending families is difficult!
maof1's Avatar maof1 05:13 PM 05-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

Glad everyone is excited. I'm sure blending families is difficult!
The worst I have ever had to deal with in the time SO and I have been together was Saturday believe it or not. SO's DS#2 made a comment to my DS... Said, "I know why you're acting that way. It's because you don't have any siblings!" Needless to say my DS was hurt and I was floored to have heard that come out of one of the kids. My DS asked if he could just go ahead and tell the kids. We said no bc we wanted their dad to tell them. Well, no that DS#2 knows about baby on the way and how hurt my DS was he feels bad.
All the kids normally get along pretty well though. Usually the worst is one saying the other won't give up the kindle so the other can have their turn to read. Haha
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 06:36 PM 05-27-2014
I'm sorry! You know that SO DS2 probably heard this from his mom though unfortunately!
maof1's Avatar maof1 12:26 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

I'm sorry! You know that SO DS2 probably heard this from his mom though unfortunately!
Oh, I'm sure of it. But now that they know things have changed. My DS already doesn't want me driving because he thinks the seatbelt is too tight and is asking when we can potty train the baby. He is so excited and wants to help with everything.
nsmomtobe's Avatar nsmomtobe 04:08 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maof1 View Post

The worst I have ever had to deal with in the time SO and I have been together was Saturday believe it or not. SO's DS#2 made a comment to my DS... Said, "I know why you're acting that way. It's because you don't have any siblings!" Needless to say my DS was hurt and I was floored to have heard that come out of one of the kids. My DS asked if he could just go ahead and tell the kids. We said no bc we wanted their dad to tell them. Well, no that DS#2 knows about baby on the way and how hurt my DS was he feels bad.

My mother says this about my son whenever we express any concern about his behaviour (i.e., we recently had him assessed for ADHD). She said he is just acting that way because he is a boy and an only child to boot. She told me he needed siblings back in August 2013, which was when his sibling would have been due if I hadn't miscarried in January. I was too upset to respond to that one. But then when she started to blame his behaviour on being an only child, I went off on her, and she said, "What? I didn't say it was your fault. It's nobody's fault."

But DS has been really great about the pregnancy and taking care of me so that the baby can grow. He knows I have lost other babies and he is determined to help me not lose this one. He keeps asking how big the baby is now. (I think it's about 4 cm.) We have been watching youtube videos that show fertilization and fetal development, and he said to a 2-year-old that he just met, "Did you know that you are half sperm and half egg?"

Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 07:15 AM 05-28-2014
So I went to a potluck tonight and the only thing my body would let me eat was salad. greensad.gif But it was a really, really good salad and I went back for seconds. orngbiggrin.gif It had lettuce and apples and raspberries and feta cheese and a dressing of I don't even know what. I've asked the lady who brought it if I could have the recipe.

But everything else on my plate (which was a poppy seed chicken casserole, some alfredo spaghetti, and some regular spaghetti)... I took one bite of each of those, and even though it tasted good and I wanted it, after I swallowed each bite, my body said, "No. Don't eat that." greensad.gif I was bummed but I listened to my body and thought I'd throw the second portion of salad at it instead, which my body thoroughly enjoyed. orngbiggrin.gif
maof1's Avatar maof1 07:29 AM 05-28-2014
@NSmomtobe I hate when people try to blame a child's behavior on being an only child. It just gets me so mad.

@Harmony96 it's definitely good to listen to your body when it comes to eating. You don't want to get sick if you can avoid it.

When I was pregnant with DS I had to teach myself to eat slow so that way I didn't have to worry about getting sick.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 08:01 AM 05-28-2014
When it comes to eating, following that rule of chewing each bite so many times comes in handy. It gives you enough time to figure out if the food is going to make you sick, and also helps you need to not eat as much. I'm doing 4 small meals a day, large meal for dinner (or else I get hungry before bed) and snacks in between. It's working except for last night. Headaches made it impossible to focus on eating.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 02:56 PM 05-28-2014

Just got back from my ultrasound.  We are 13 1/2 weeks but measuring almost 16 weeks.  The baby was head down today and kicking kicking kicking!  We measured my placenta and we need to monitor it in case it doesn't move as it's suppose to.  I'm not allowed to worry.  As long as it does what it's suppose to and the baby isn't feet first come November, I'm looking good for my natural birth!  Worse case scenario, I need to have a c-section.  So I'm happy and hubby is as well.

We might be able to do an anatomy scan soon.  It's been scheduled for June 16th, and if we can't see it then, we will still do a regular ultrasound and book the 18 week scan.

ayme371's Avatar ayme371 06:24 PM 05-28-2014
I hope you all don't mind that I post here. I hope to be joining you soon but I haven't graduated yet.

I was reading a few pages back about books and videos on home births and I would love to share an awesome book that I read almost daily while pg with DS. Many of you are probably familiar with In a Mae Gaskins. ..her book.Spiritual Midwifery is awesome and so empowering. I didn't have a home birth but my birth experience was fantastic. It made me confident in my body and I really think it helped me have a positive experience!

Agaun, hope you don't mind my posting here, I hope to be joining you soon.
Congratulations to all. Happy and healthy 9 months, or less! 😊
Kita4's Avatar Kita4 09:02 PM 05-29-2014
Hello.... sorry I've been so absent. I'll just be checking in. I've been really sick. I spent the night in the hospital for dehydration and doped up on IV's a few weeks ago. It's been hard to keep anything down and I'm in bed all day. So bored and miserable. They gave me Zofran but I seem to be allergic to it. We did get a look at the baby and everything looks great- good heartbeat. We are excited. I just can't wait for this MS to be over. The Dr's say I just have it really bad and to make sure I don't get dehydrated again- which has a proven complicated task. We are 9 weeks. Glad to hear things are going well with everyone else. Heathy babies and happiness to all.
maof1's Avatar maof1 07:49 AM 05-30-2014
Sorry to hear you got so dehydrated. I found it's best to keep a big cup or big bottle of water with you at all times to keep hydrated. Hope you feel better soon.

AFM, I'm being kept busy by 5 little ones. The oldest is 10. We have my DS's baseball team party today. Hoping it doesn't get rained out. Lol! It's a 60% chance of rain.

Also, not sure how I feel about the new layout on my phone... Hard to find this thread. 😒
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 11:12 AM 05-30-2014
Kita I have been thinking of you!! Sorry you've been so sick. Mine seemed to let up at 10 weeks so maybe yours will too! Glad baby is well!

Wow Maof1 you have your hands full!!
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 12:09 PM 05-30-2014
I think I felt a couple of bumps yesterday. 14+2.
maof1's Avatar maof1 01:37 PM 05-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
Wow Maof1 you have your hands full!!
Lol! I'm used to it! SO has 4. 3 DS and 1 DD. I have 1DS with a baby on the way.
When we get the kids for the summer and SO has to work I take care of them rather than a sitter. We go to the YMCA and swim in the pool and let them work out... It's fun.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 04:06 PM 05-30-2014
So I think the forums are working better, I think! I'm able to see my subscriptions better and saw all your new posts without issues. Maybe I'll be able to come back on here and not lose my sanity, I hope.

I'm having emotional issues constantly and it's getting annoying. My temp agency called with a job that would be permanent placement (what I've wanted for a year now!) and who's on medium bed rest? This gal. So I started crying. She will "see what she can do." Everyone keeps telling me my most important job is carrying muffin and being in good shape for a great pregnancy. I just can't stand this not working thing. And if I have to wait till after pregnancy, it's just going to make it harder for me to get placed somewhere. I'm not getting younger, and there's interns who will do what I'm amazing at for half the cost and they'll half ass it.

I've also attempted finding daycares where we are once muffin hits 3 months. All you ladies who are stay at home moms, I wish I could give you medals. But I hate being here constantly. Our daycares have a 3 year wait without a charitable donation. Or paying $1000 a month. There's a woman at the firehouse we volunteer at who runs a daycare, but I don't trust her on that level. She's in her 60s, smokes too much, and curses wayyyyy too much. I'd rather my father take care of the baby over her. Argh.

Sorry, I'm ranting again. It's just my breakdown that I'm having today.
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 09:03 PM 05-30-2014
Sarah, what do you do? And if we lived close, I'd watch your baby for you. So sorry good care is hard to come by up there.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 09:46 PM 05-30-2014
Andrea, one of the many titles I've held is "marketing project manager." I could be the person who creates a layout for a circular or general ad. Or I could be designing a billboard you've seen. Some of the more recent work I've done was a marketing campaign for Home Depot, Target's catalog, and generating website ads at a reduced cost. With each year older you get, the marketing field treats you like an old horse.

And thank you on the baby sitting thing. He's still pushing our firehouse mom, but I'm against it. I told him if I honestly need to be out of work longer, that's his chance to make the other 2 children he wants.
maof1's Avatar maof1 10:32 AM 05-31-2014
Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Tomorrow I hit 11 weeks.... Here's to hoping that my appointment goes well on Friday. I'll be 2 days shy of 12 weeks then and hoping to hear a good strong heartbeat while there.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 01:20 PM 05-31-2014
14 weeks today, and no matter how much water I drink, it doesn't help. So I'm just dealing as the days go on. And the baby has been kicking. I have a new belly pic and ultrasound photos, but this site and I still can't get along to upload them. I'll try again later.
maof1's Avatar maof1 01:43 PM 05-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
14 weeks today, and no matter how much water I drink, it doesn't help. So I'm just dealing as the days go on. And the baby has been kicking. I have a new belly pic and ultrasound photos, but this site and I still can't get along to upload them. I'll try again later.
Since the change I can't even see how or where to upload a picture so I won't be doing it anymore either.. 😔
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 02:24 PM 05-31-2014
Since we're on vBulletin now (again), we have to upload to an external site and then use the IMG tags. Photobucket is popular, but if you don't want an account, then I've also used Tinypic.com with success as well.

(It might be different on mobile, but on the desktop, you actually can upload a picture but if it's like other VB forums I've been on, there is a cumulative limit.)
Harmony96's Avatar Harmony96 02:25 PM 05-31-2014
And now for a fun story about eggs.

So. I was on Facebook one day, and one of the "sponsored posts" or whatever was a "go fund me" type thing for something the inventor was calling the "Kitchen Goose." I clicked through, and it's a contraption to spin an egg at a high enough velocity that it scrambles the egg inside the shell. Sounds neat. I read a little more. If you give X dollars towards their startup costs, you can get one of the contraptions from their first production run. But it's not expected until October.

I wondered if there was a way to do this with things I might have around the house, and I first found a video or something where someone did it by binding the egg in the middle of a shirt sleeve and spinning the sleeve. I tried that and just ended up with sore arms. So I did some more searching and found this video.

You Tube

Sounded reasonable in theory, but the practical application didn't turn out like it was supposed to. First of all, it was nearly impossible to get the shoelaces through the holes with the tools that I had. But I finally did that and thought that was going to be the hardest part and that the rest of it would be easy peasy. I slipped an egg inside and started spinning it, but it didn't seem like it was going very fast, and I kept having to wind it up over and over again. Then, when I wanted to take the egg out, it was stuck inside because I hadn't made the slit quite wide enough. I tried to use my knife to enlarge the slit a little, but what I actually did was crack the egg. Which was not scrambled in the slightest, by the way.

I got the thing cleaned up that day and tried again, and this time it spun a LOT faster--so fast, in fact, that the rubber band slipped off and the force spun the egg right out of the ball and onto the floor. DH saw what happened and laughed and took a picture, LOL. After I cleaned up the egg, I tried a third time, this time sealing it up with packing tape. But again, no scramble. I posted on FB my saga at this time and someone who replied said she'd never been able to scramble an egg in the shell.

Fast forward a week or two, and I noticed Josiah playing with the contraption today, and I thought I'd give it a try one more time. I put in an egg and got it spinning, and had to re-wind it a few times, but in the end, I got a "motion" going down where it would go REALLY fast and then self-wind the other direction. (Sort of picture a horizontal yo-yo. With a regular yo-yo, you have to give a little "pull" to it at just the right time to make it come all the way back up to your hand. It's kind of the same principle with this egg contraption.) It seemed like it was going fast enough to scramble, so I popped it out after a while and checked it with a flashlight, and it was red! I haven't cooked or broken it yet, but supposedly the flashlight test is a good one.

I originally wanted to do this b/c my midwife wants me to eat two eggs a day, and I prefer them scrambled, but if I can do this, hey, I save a dish (I don't like them scrambled just in the pan), but now I kind of want to give it a try boiled to see what it tastes like that way.
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 10:53 AM 06-01-2014
So I tried to log in on my phone today and it wouldn't let me. I'm slowly giving up on this site.
jenjy's Avatar jenjy 11:33 AM 06-01-2014
Badwolf, I couldn't log in either on my phone this morning.. So frustrating. Here's what I just did and it seems to have worked: go to the site on your phone, switch to desktop version, log in, switch back to mobile version. I think it worked.. We'll see when I hit reply, ha.

Hi all, peeking in here since I got a faint bfp
badwolf092087's Avatar badwolf092087 11:38 AM 06-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjy View Post
Badwolf, I couldn't log in either on my phone this morning.. So frustrating. Here's what I just did and it seems to have worked: go to the site on your phone, switch to desktop version, log in, switch back to mobile version. I think it worked.. We'll see when I hit reply, ha.

Hi all, peeking in here since I got a faint bfp
Yay on the BFP! Hopefully Rosie joins us soon.

As for the switch between mobile and desktop, all it did was lock me out.
First ... 20  28  29  30 31  32  40  ... Last

Up