Mothering Forum banner

Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread!

54K views 1K replies 21 participants last post by  apeydef 
#1 ·
I'm creating this thread as a place for my former TTC ONE buddies to touch base outside of everyone's respective DDCs. We've got a lot of shared history so let's keep in touch!

#1,076 ·
So in my DDC, there was a post about Tylenol during pregnancy. I put my 2 cents in, which I probably shouldn't have. My OB and general physician have both said that a lot of pregnant women just don't feel the effects of it, no matter how little or strong the pain is. I threw that out there. Log on just now and I have a private message telling me that my input was not appreciated, my doctors "facts" are wrong, and to go spread my "lies" elsewhere. This isn't the first time I've received a PM on the forum for stating something my doctors have told me. It's actually getting kind of upsetting. I get that a lot of women on here don't like doctor's opinions or science. That's great. But I don't get rude or crass with them when they try to push the midwife concept on me. UGH! Some days I really feel like leaving mothering.com completely.

#1,077 ·
I'm sorry Badwolf, that is stupid. People need to stop being so defensive about OPINIONS on this site. We all have our own experiences, our own research, etc. There is nothing wrong with that.
@jenjy: I am so happy for you and the outcome of your ultrasound. I am happy you have a reason for the spotting and even though it's probably pretty scary at least you know the baby is doing well. I also like that you talked about your symptoms disappearing and the baby still being alright. That is my biggest worry since I don't have screaming obvious symptoms yet.. although i do just feel crappy and tired in general right now haha.
@bren94: Welcome! Happy to see you here. :)
@nsmomtobe: Sending good vibes your way. I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for the baby's movements not being too obvious yet.
@apeydef: Hope you are feeling better. The flu has got to be the worst when pregnant.

Hi to everyone else!

AFM: DH and I's first wedding anniversary is tomorrow so we are going to dinner and staying at a hotel tonight. Should be fun although I'm not feeling too hot right now. I'm starting to notice a build up of bloat over the day. I can stick my tummy out a lot further than I used to be able to. I'm sure it's just gas and water retention but it's kind of entertaining. I am mostly tired and a little nauseous.. but otherwise I am just trying to stay calm and send positive thoughts to this baby. Really want it to stick around this time. :) I think I am done peeing on sticks, I might take the digital next week to confirm the 3+ weeks that I would like to see (maybe) but otherwise I am waiting for an ultrasound next Saturday to confirm the baby is in the right place.

#1,104 ·
Yeah, that. I'm an admin on another board and we have people report PMs to us occasionally so we can take care of the rudeness therein.

Ok to the first time mamas..... Be prepared to make cleaning poop a full time job lol! My 5 year old, yes 5, pooped in the tub but was scared to tell me so she tried to clean it up herself. But I found the washcloth. Them I had to clean the whole bathroom bc I didn't know what she touched. My one year old went through a stage where he stuck his hands down his diaper every time he pooped. Not to mention when they are new borns and it explodes out of their diapers every five minutes. Oh and if you are not cloth diapering only use pampers snugglers for the first couple months. No other diaper will hold lol. Ok that was my rant for the night. I just get so sick of cleaning poop. Lol
Okay. I have a poop story. Well, it's really a story mostly about DD's incredible memory, but it involves poop. :p Okay. So she's 7 now. There was an event that happened when she was either a late 2 or maaaaaybe a very young 3. My mom had sent us home with an ABC book that had a CD with it, where each letter had its own little song. Cute little book. Anyway. She woke up from a nap one day and had pooped, and had used the poop to coat the CD and also mash it into the cover of the book (which had an inset decoration made of corrugated cardboard). No saving the book, so I tossed it. I did eventually get the CD cleaned up enough so that it would play, but I eventually tossed it, too, because it just made me feel a little weird playing it. I didn't make too huge a deal of it at the time. I don't even think I did any sort of discipline or explanation to her because she was just THAT young. I called Mom about it a couple of days later, but that was it. I didn't go on and on about it or anything. Now, fast-forward to a couple of weeks ago. She and DS1 were trying to watch a DVD which was skipping, so I took it out and found that DS1 had put his fingerprints all over it. I took it into the kitchen to clean it with some glass cleaner, and DD followed me in there. After a minute of watching me, she said, "I remember you cleaned one of my CDs one time when I was little and didn't know any better and got poop all over it." Whoa. Yes, DD, you're right. How did you remember that???

#1,084 ·
Ok to the first time mamas..... Be prepared to make cleaning poop a full time job lol! My 5 year old, yes 5, pooped in the tub but was scared to tell me so she tried to clean it up herself. But I found the washcloth. Them I had to clean the whole bathroom bc I didn't know what she touched. My one year old went through a stage where he stuck his hands down his diaper every time he pooped. Not to mention when they are new borns and it explodes out of their diapers every five minutes. Oh and if you are not cloth diapering only use pampers snugglers for the first couple months. No other diaper will hold lol. Ok that was my rant for the night. I just get so sick of cleaning poop. Lol

#1,085 · (Edited)
@apeydef oh great! Hahaha I've been hearing so many poop horror stories and they are scaring the crap out of me! (No pun intended). I have been getting really bad headaches the past couple days. Not sure if its the hormones or what.

@jenjy I saw that too! I wonder how many will actually arrive on valentines day!

#1,087 ·
@apeydef could be that too. My allergies are always acting up.

I think I have an ear infection but I don't know because in order to go to the urgent care clinic I have to call the nurses hotline and get their ok to go. So I was talking to an RN on the phone, explaining my symptoms (swollen lymph nodes in neck, sore tonsils, excruciating ear pain.) I even told her I was pregnant. By the end of the call she advised me to nurse my symptoms at home. Really!? Can't a pregnant lady catch a break? I'm worried that my infection is going to somehow hurt the baby and it's scaring me. Luckily my symptoms are starting to disappear so I think I kicked the bug. Damn tricare really bugs me sometimes. BAMC is way too far to be driving out there at 8pm. Hopefully I can find a midwife near me that takes tricare prime. Also I've been craving Spanish food really bad for about two days? Like real authentic Dominican or Puerto Rican food. Anyone else having intense cravings??

#1,088 ·
@apeydef I had a migraine for 3 days straight when I was pregnant with DS. I finally broke down and called my OB. He sent me to the ER where they took me straight back and hooked me up to IV fluids, gave me zofran, Benadryl, and something else. The Benadryl knocked me out so fast I don't remember the third drug they gave me but I slept like a baby for 6 hours in the ER room. Haha! I hope your headache goes away soon!
As for the poop thing @bren94 I have a funny one for you! My sister who is 10yrs younger than me was changing my son's diaper when he was about a month old. She was 12 at the time. As soon as she wiped his little bum he shot poo right out (it basically exploded!!!) and hit her legs and the carpet and even a baseboard 10 ft away! I know it's a little TMI but if you could have seen her face it was priceless!

#1,089 ·
@maof1 hahaha! That's hilarious! My sister is 13, I'd love to see her reaction to something like that. She's never even changed diaper before, she's a total princess.

#1,093 ·
My friend's 3 year old daughter has been potty trained for quite some time, and occasionally wears the pull ups still. Esp if they aren't sure of a bathroom situation while driving or out, etc etc. But if she's feeling "rebellious," she will poop in the tub and run around screaming about it and waving her pull up or underpants. Terrible threes at their finest.

#1,096 ·
@apeydef I know I know and normally I'm all for just sucking it up but it's so painful and I'm just paranoid about the infection hurting my pregnancy. But then I'm paranoid about antibiotics hurting it too so I'm conflicted. I'll look into natural remedies.
@dmariev I'll look into that! Thanks!

#1,099 ·
@apeydef I know I know and normally I'm all for just sucking it up but it's so painful and I'm just paranoid about the infection hurting my pregnancy. But then I'm paranoid about antibiotics hurting it too so I'm conflicted. I'll look into natural remedies.

@dmariev I'll look into that! Thanks!
Onion or garlic oil, I've heard both.

#1,097 ·
@bren94 I've had 2 ear infections since my pregnancy began. There are many successful (at least for me) at home remedies. Is it just your ear hurting or has it affected your jaw? If it's just the ear, take a hand towel and soak it in hot water. Lay it on a pillow and then lay your ear on it. That helps me with pressure and getting out any build up. If it's affecting your jaw, a piece of garlic clove on the gum line where the pain is located is one of the most fabulous things I've discovered this year. Those are the simple remedies. I've known women to pour hydrogen peroxide in their ear and then drain it and have no more ear infection. But I personally hate doing that. There are so many ideas, but those are what I've had the most success with. When I'm not pregnant, amoxycillian (sp?) has been my lifelong, antibiotic friend.

Oh and avoid trying to make your ear "pop." That does nothing except a funny little sound.

Reactions: bren94
#1,103 ·
You would think that, but somehow I haven't to this day. I had terrible ear issues since I was a baby, and to this day I still do.

As for the terrible threes- my friend's daughter is 3 going on 30, declared one of her parent's employees her "boyfriend," insists on approving every outfit that is picked out for her, and many many other interesting things. Love her to death though.

#1,106 ·
Going into Texas Roadhouse for dinner tonight (my sister is a server who is also on the management team) and what do we see? A pair of heavy set (truly obese) women walking in with a boy no older than 6 years old and they are bringing him in with a Mcdonalds happy meal! Really?!? They could have gotten him something far healthier here. I know I'm not little by any means but to see them forcing their poor choices on him is not right.
Ok end rant...

#1,107 ·
Eek. My future children will not be eating mcdonalds (or any fast food if I can help it) when they're with me. If they're with friends and those parents choose to feed them crap, I'll let it slide, but never with me. I truly don't judge parents that feed their kids that junk (my parents sure did) but I just don't understand it. Yeah it's quick but there are equally quick healthier choices and yeah your kids want it but if your kids wanted to ride without a seatbelt you'd say no. I guess in moderation it isn't awful but I just don't see the point. It's so gross.

#1,108 ·
I will say that I had my fair share of happy meals as a kid and I turned out alright. I was also active all day everyday and always outside. My parents also made sure to prepare healthy meals throughout the week most of the time. My kids will probably taste fast food here and there but honestly.. mcdonalds (and the idea of it especially now that I think nausea is starting to kick in) sounds freaking disgusting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.