get strength back after weeks of bedrest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

has anybody expericence? I am on bedrest for early contractions and I already lost much of my strength. When I am 33/34 weeks I will be able to get up again, and I am worrying about birth alot, since I think I just have no endurance left anymore :(

Does anybody have tips on how to get as much strength back as possible without overdoing it? 

Anybody experience at all? 

thank you!

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#2 of 5 Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Are you doing resting in bed leg and breathing exercises? They are really important to help prevent pneumonia and DVTs and will help a little bit with retaining muscle mass as well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM

I had similar concerns. I was on bed rest from 22 weeks to 35 1/2 weeks, then gave birth at 36 weeks. I did breathing exercises while on bed rest, then walked as much as I could (seven blocks working up to 16 blocks with a long rest in the middle) during the time I was off bed rest before the birth. It was hard, and 2 1/2 years later I'm not back in shape, but I managed a vaginal birth of twins. So...do what you can, but don't overdo it (you're on bed rest for a reason), and don't panic too much.

For me the big thing was walking when I was allowed to, but listening to my body and not pushing.

#4 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. I just found some evidence against bed rest, and am wondering now,

thank you for the tips on strengthening. I do not bed rest all the time, I get up a couple of times a day...at least to sit at the table or something. So I guess, DVT risk should not be too high (I Hope at least ;) ) 

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#5 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

Thank you all. I just found some evidence against bed rest, and am wondering now,

thank you for the tips on strengthening. I do not bed rest all the time, I get up a couple of times a day...at least to sit at the table or something. So I guess, DVT risk should not be too high (I Hope at least wink1.gif

Yeah, there isn't a lot of evidence for bed rest in most circumstances. It's not done very much where I come from anymore.

It's great that you can get up once or twice a day. I would still do leg exercises every hour that you are in bed. Are you wearing TED stockings? Your risk of DVT is increased anyway during pregnancy, as I'm sure you already know.

These are what we teach patients confined to bed. We ask them to do ten repeats (if they can, or as many as they're able to) every hour they are awake.

- legs extended, point toes towards head then towards foot of bed, stretching calf muscle

- rotate each foot in a circle, clockwise then anticlockwise

- bend knee, bringing heel up to bottom then straighten

- with legs straight, try to press the back of the knee hard into the bed, tensing thigh muscle

- Breath in as deeply as you can. Hold for for a count of ten then breath out as deeply as you can (if this makes you dizzy, just do what you can comfortably do)

- cough ten times

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page