Baby "measuring small" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Ok ladies,

So I just updated my post related to my prior placenta previa, which is now totally resolved per my 28 week scan that I had today.  Now, as if the Gods heard my sigh of relief, the Dr. (perinatologist) mentions during the scan, "baby's growth is ooooooh-kay, maybe a lagging a little... I'd like to see you back in 6-8 weeks to check growth again."

huh?  Totally didn't see that one coming.  Wow, Dr., thanks for the extremely vague, anxiety-inducing comment. I was by myself as DH was at work and I of course didn't ask any questions at the time due to surprise/shock.  FWIW, my weight gain has been appropriate, my BG and BP are fine (per regular visits/GDM screening). Fundal height is within normal range (-2 cm, which I measured -2 with my DD all the way until delivery-she was born just under 7# and was 19 inches). I'm now feeling super worried about this (although one side of my brain is inclined to not keep the appointment as I'm wondering about the necessity of this additional scan). I also understand that U/S are not all that accurate the futher you progress along in the pregnancy.  Anyone else had a similar experience they can share?  I'm feeling a little emotionally overwhelmed at the moment and really having a hard time enjoying this pregnancy due to all of these little things that keep popping up.  Especially when my is telling me that everything is ok--then I go in for the appointment and am made to feel like my gut is wrong!!

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

And also, to add:  what would they "do" at 36 weeks if growth is lagging then?  I'm thinking that if this were a really big issue to worry about, they would have me come in much earlier than 36 weeks to check growth, but maybe I'm way off in my reasoning....

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hmmmm, seems to be in the normal range, perhaps this doc thinks that is a bit small?  IDK.

I measured 2-3 weeks small most of my pregnancy with DD1, which I gained way more than my other pregnancies and to me, my belly looked way bigger.... anyways, DD1 was over 10 lbs and 21 inches.  I think as long as it is within the range....

Also, I have noticed that different providers measure differently, even from themselves, depending on the day.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How's your fundal height coming along? What about your weight gain?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I've gained 23 lbs so far at 28 weeks and my fundal height is 26 cm. 

Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That seems strange he would say that and then not do anything for 6-8 weeks. I would take that as a good sign not to worry. When I started measuring small at 36 weeks (-3cm) they did an u/s and then wanted to do another one a week later. I think the idea is that they can induce once you hit 37 weeks if it looks like baby isn't thriving as they would like. I would just keep eating healthy and drinking tons of water to keep fluid levels up, which is my issue.

belly.gifGoing to be a mama! stork-girl.gif March '14
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If they were very concerned they'd have you come back sooner. Different drs measure different each visit. Baby can be in a different position causing fundal height to be off a week or so. Glad the Previn is resolved smile.gif
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your kind responses. Tbh, that was my first thought--gee, if its such a big deal how come I don't have to go back until 36 weeks.... So hopefully we are all correct. I also think this baby just turned head down---so maybe that will change the measurement next week when I go in for a regular prenatal appt. thank you again. All you wonderful ladies are such a blessing to me,

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a friend who was told her baby would probably only weigh like four pounds. She was born a few days ago weighing over 6.

User Tag List