Let's Talk About Breech - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I am 19 weeks along, so I understand that it is quite early to worry about breech presentation. The reason I'm a little uneasy about it is because

-both of my others were head down at this point

-I've been very sick this pregnancy and unable to do much (if any) walking, and am sitting a lot (and this is still the case)

-and this is the first pregnancy I've had with an anterior placenta, which I've heard can make it harder for the baby to position

So right now I'm planning on trying some of the things on Spinning Babies, such as the 30 second inversion, and on getting a ball to sit on instead of a computer chair. I can also try and get out and walk more, but it's honestly really difficult at this point. Is there anything else that you can think of? It seems to me, but correct me if I'm wrong, that it makes more sense to start trying to fix it now than to wait until the baby is bigger and will be harder to turn. 

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#2 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At this point in pregnancy, I would not worry about it one bit. Your baby has lots of time to turn.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like you have a lot of experience to speak from; thank you. I'm not usually a worrier (really!). It's been such a different pregnancy than the other two I think I'm just really a bit thrown off by it all. Is there anything simple you would suggest that would just help encourage good position for the baby?

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#4 of 11 Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM

My baby was breech. At your point, I'd practice relaxation and talking to your baby about turning being a clever thing to do, but that you're confident he/she will do it when he/she's ready. You still have a lot of time.
#5 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Keep in mind that with each pregnancy, your abdomen may lose some of its tone, so malpositioned babies are more common the greater number of babies you have---especially early on.  I agree that 19 weeks is way, way to early to be concerned.  That being said, here was my experience with my second.  She was breech at 38.5 weeks and I had to do everything except a ECV (external cephalic version) to get her to turn.  I did head stands in the pools, spinning babies inversions, acupuncture.  What I felt was the most helpful was chiropractic care.  Gail Tully (the spinning babies midwife) addresses this as well, offering up ligaments that are unevenly tight as one of the root causes of breech.  This made sense to me and when I had chiropractic care that focused on balancing my lower abdominal ligaments (I can't remember exactly what it was called), I definitely felt a difference in how I carried myself and my belly.  So if you have the means and access, maybe consider chiropractic care?

mareseatoats likes this.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#6 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 PM

It's really early to worry about breech. Head up is common for babies at this point. If at 34 weeks baby is breech you can try moxabustion, accupuncture, and Webster technique (chiro). That said, you can certainly go for chiro throughout pregnancy to encourage proper pelvic alignment and eventual fetal positioning. Walking is also great. I've had two anterior placentas - first baby was head down by third trimester, second was breech up until 37 weeks. I did all of the things I mentioned, plus inversions starting around 34 weeks.
mareseatoats likes this.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#7 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post

Keep in mind that with each pregnancy, your abdomen may lose some of its tone, so malpositioned babies are more common the greater number of babies you have---especially early on.  I agree that 19 weeks is way, way to early to be concerned.  That being said, here was my experience with my second.  She was breech at 38.5 weeks and I had to do everything except a ECV (external cephalic version) to get her to turn.  I did head stands in the pools, spinning babies inversions, acupuncture.  What I felt was the most helpful was chiropractic care.  Gail Tully (the spinning babies midwife) addresses this as well, offering up ligaments that are unevenly tight as one of the root causes of breech.  This made sense to me and when I had chiropractic care that focused on balancing my lower abdominal ligaments (I can't remember exactly what it was called), I definitely felt a difference in how I carried myself and my belly.  So if you have the means and access, maybe consider chiropractic care?

Thank you! That's a really good idea. I definitely hear people saying it is early to worry, and I understand that is true. There's something telling me, though, to start work on this now. I'm not sure when I'll be feeling better and more active, so if there are other things I can do to help promote a good position I would like to start them now rather than later. I had chiropractic care all through my other pregnancies and haven't this time simply because I've felt so lousy. It seems like a really good idea to do that, just for overall health. Who knows, maybe it will help open up my sinuses. Thanks!

#8 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhada View Post

It's really early to worry about breech. Head up is common for babies at this point. If at 34 weeks baby is breech you can try moxabustion, accupuncture, and Webster technique (chiro). That said, you can certainly go for chiro throughout pregnancy to encourage proper pelvic alignment and eventual fetal positioning. Walking is also great. I've had two anterior placentas - first baby was head down by third trimester, second was breech up until 37 weeks. I did all of the things I mentioned, plus inversions starting around 34 weeks.

Thank you for your suggestions and experience, I really appreciate it. I understand it is early to worry, and I'm glad to still have plenty of time for the baby to move around. I feel like my intuition is telling me something is a little different with this baby. I understand I could be wrong, but if there are little things I can do to help I am interested in them. Thanks!

#9 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Also, be sure you aren't sitting with your lower back curved, like slouched on a couch or similar. Keeping your back straight gives the baby less room to goof around. Might be something to consider.more after it gets in a good position.
#10 of 11 Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I've often heard to keep knees below hips when sitting upright - no slouching! :thumb

Are you worried there might be an underlying cause of the position that indicates a troublesome issue with either you or the baby?  I'm getting that vibe from what your saying.  I'm sure it will work out, but think about sharing your concerns with your midwife/OB. 

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#11 of 11 Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Suzy, I am worried about, yes. Thank you. I know every pregnancy is different, but I worry a bit with some of the differences in this one. Between my sinus pain preventing me from being active and the anterior placenta (and this baby just being a wild card at every turn!) I do worry a little. It just doesn't make sense to me to wait to do anything about it if there are simple, non invasive things I could do now. I do plan on talking to my midwife about it, and I think she will take my concerns seriously. 

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate it. I also got a recommendation from my friend for a good chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page