Is Lydia a good name? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you think of the name Lydia?
Love it! 23 52.27%
Not my favorite but a perfectly acceptable name 18 40.91%
Reminds me of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" (Is this a good or a bad thing?) 2 4.55%
Reminds me of the phrase "lie to ya" 0 0%
Don't like it for another reason (Please explain.) 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

We like its musical sound, the fact that it has just one common spelling, and that it is medium-popular rather than very popular or very unusual.  Lydia in the Bible (Book of Acts) was a generous person and a seller of purple cloth; our whole family loves purple.

On the other hand, it doesn't have any nicknames except Liddy (which we don't like), and in asking around we've learned that some people have negative opinions of it.

What do you think?

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#2 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know an older lady and a toddler named Lydia. It's not my personal favorite, but I do think it is name. that carries grace and class. smile.gif
#3 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I voted "not my favorite but a perfectly acceptable name," but it's probably somewhere between that and "love it." I think it's a good name. It wouldn't come to mind for me personally to name my kids, but I wouldn't think anything negative if a friend told me she was thinking of naming her baby Lydia.

When was that name most popular? I feel like it's not quite old enough to elicit those warm fuzzy, "Aww, I had a granny named that!" responses. So maybe that's where the lukewarm response is coming from? I bet in 30 more years it'll be all the rage and your daughter will be a trendsetter. smile.gif

Btw, I love Liddy!! So cute!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

My DD name is Lydia. I love that she was a seller of Purple ;) I love the song Lydia the Tattooed Lady. It was one of Jim Henson's favorite songs. I love Kermit the Frog singing it on the Muppet show!!!

I guess I love the name

#5 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I have never liked the name much, it has a slightly... low class (? I don't know) feeling to me. And then I had an Aunt by marriage that was severely troubled and mentally ill. But my uncle's ex-wife isn't any reason for you not to use it if you like it. Especially with special meaning to your family. Your baby will take the name and make it her own, you know? She'll redefine the name for herself and everyone who knows her. That's pretty cool.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#6 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love it.  It would be one of my top choices if hubby liked it...but alas it's not a favorite of his.

hang.gifHappy wife and mommy to Levi (5/23/14)
#7 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Lydia has not been a really popular name in the U.S., but it is on an upward trend now and currently at #95, its most popular in the last 100 years.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#8 of 34 Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think it is a lovely name smile.gif

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#9 of 34 Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Perfectly fine name imo. Why did ppl have negative opinions?

#10 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I love it, for whatever the opinion of a random stranger on the internet is worth. ;) I would be happy to name one of my own kids Lydia, but dh doesn't like it. You could be non-traditional and call her Dia if you wanted. (I had a friend name Nicole once who went by Cole as opposed to Nicki.) Or she could have a nickname totally unrelated to her name. I call my son Baby Bird, and it has nothing to do with his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post

I have never liked the name much, it has a slightly... low class (? I don't know) feeling to me.

That is odd to me, because I definitely think of Lydia as a more upper-class name.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#11 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I love it and think it is very beautiful. And I love how simple it is to say and spell. Hard to spell or pronounce names stick with you forever.
#12 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 Perfectly fine name imo. Why did ppl have negative opinions?

My partner is struggling a bit with getting "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" stuck in his mind every time he considers the name.  I've told him that will fade, and anyway it's a nice cheery song, and hardly a prominent thing in current popular culture.  (I included it in the poll to see if it's the first thing that comes to a lot of people's minds, or only a few.)

One of my friends made the "lie to ya" connection instantly, but maybe that's rare.  I hadn't thought of it before.

A few people have said it seems old-fashioned in a dusty, out-of-style way.  But to me, it sounds like one of those old names likely to make a comeback.

Our son said he will RUN AWAY FROM HOME if we name the baby Lydia.  But sometimes he makes dramatic threats like this, and then when the thing actually happens he's totally accepting of it, so who knows?

#13 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM

I think it is on the upswing. It has the old-fashioned air and yet a light airy sound that is so popular nowadays (Sophia, Olivia, Hannah, Amelia, Emma, etc.) Never heard the tattooed lady song. 

Lydia would be higher on my list but my MIL's name is Linda and it seems a little too similar. 

#14 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Never heard the tattooed lady song. 

It is an old song. Groucho Marx sang it. Kermit the Frog sang it on the Muppet Show.

Funny fact- Alice Cooper sang it on a late night show with Groucho Marx one time

#15 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Well, I had to vote "Love it!" because the L in my siggy is a Lydia. orngbiggrin.gif

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#16 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

One of my friends made the "lie to ya" connection instantly, but maybe that's rare.  I hadn't thought of it before.

That seems completely out of left field to me, unless I'm pronouncing Lydia wrong. I say it LID-ee-uh. So immediately connecting it to the word lie (with a long /i/) seems odd. Also, you could come up with an unsavory rhyme or phrase about literally any name -- and that one about Lydia is quite a reach that I really don't think most people will make.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#17 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

No, you are pronouncing it correctly. That friend is just weird, and spends a lot more time reading than being around people so tends to think more about how words look than how they sound, I think.

#18 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 06:23 PM

Oh yes... one of my friends (who I met when she worked for my company) is named Lydia and I LOVE HER and LOVE IT! She is an old soul and has total hippy flair. It is one of the most beautiful names and always makes me smile! 

And it is not too common! A huge plus! 

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#19 of 34 Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM

PS. I hate nick-names... Like if you want a Lizzie, name a kid Lizzie not Elizabeth. I am an Angela- I HATE ANGIE.. I don't mind Ang, but that is still my name. 

My husband and I often call our daughter by her middle name, but it is still her name and no one else calls her that- I think I would freak if people started calling her Faye! lol.. 

I think Lydia is short and beautiful how it is- it needs no nick-name.  My friend did say when she was little she could not say her L's so she said Widia for years... But my daughter could not say her R's so she was Waney - lol.. 

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#20 of 34 Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM

I like Lydia--but so does everyone else.  If you're looking for a non-trendy name, you might want to look elsewhere.  It starts with L, is perfectly primed to sound antiquey but not "old", and is currently on the upswing.  It's also popular in the UK, which is often a predictor of rising names for the U.S.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/lydia

So, if you love it, use it! But if you'll be disappointed if you suddenly see a new crop of Lydias in the news, you might want to look for more uncommon names.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#21 of 34 Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link!  I did not know there was a Lydian Empire.

Lydia is only #96 in the UK, similar to its #95 in the US--but it's on an upward trend here.  I would not be surprised if it turned into "the new Olivia" the way Amelia is now gaining on Emily.  (We like Amelia too, but seeing that it's now #1 in the UK--presumably because of Amelia Pond on Doctor Who?--is giving us pause.)

But no, we wouldn't be disappointed if it became more trendy.  Our son is Nicholas, which was something like #13 nationwide and #5 in our state for his birth year, yet he hasn't encountered an excessive number of other Nicholases (Nicholi?) and has only twice had another one in his class.  That's similar to my experience as a Rebecca in Generation X and is acceptable, given that my partner's and kids' last name is unusual and has to be spelled all the time.

#22 of 34 Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 1 y/o's name is Lydia Jane so maybe I am a little biased. I love it. :)

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#23 of 34 Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM

If you don't name her Lydia, will you look back and regret that you didn't use the name you really liked bc of xy or z that someone else said? For me that is the test. That is why I named my dd Amelia despite the popularity. didn't want to look back and see I hadn't used my fave name for that reason. nak.

#24 of 34 Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I like the sound of it, but it invariably reminds me of the character from Pride and Prejudice.  She was shallow, and kind of a dolt...

I have a niece named Lydia, her nickname was itty bitty Liddy, which I thought was cute. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#25 of 34 Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Love it.  I wanted it for dd but dh won!  You could use Liya as a nickname.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#26 of 34 Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM

I like it.

#27 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 AM

So are you going to use it, Becca?

#28 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think probably, but we won't decide for certain until baby is born.  There are a few other names we like that may seem just right when we meet our baby.

I'm finding that the song about the tattooed lady runs through my mind for part of almost every day, but with the words changed to, "She's Lydia, the brand-new baby!"  I can live with that. :)

#29 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

I think probably, but we won't decide for certain until baby is born.  There are a few other names we like that may seem just right when we meet our baby.

I'm finding that the song about the tattooed lady runs through my mind for part of almost every day, but with the words changed to, "She's Lydia, the brand-new baby!"  I can live with that. :)

Lol!  That's cute.  Dh likes the name Clementine, but I would NEVER stop singing the song: "Oh, my darling, oh, my darling..."

#30 of 34 Old 04-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think I'll delete my post now because it has served its purpose.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page