Platelets are up! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read so much online about trying to improve platelet counts during pregnancy and it's been a bit confusing so I thought I'd share my experience. In my first pregnancy my platelets kept going down as the pregnancy progressed. After the birth (fairly quick but intense labour with a long time spent pushing) I had a hemorrhage of about 1000mL by my midwife's estimate.

Now here we are with pregnancy #2 and again my platelets were going down. There doesn't seem to be a definitive supplement you can take to bring them up like with iron, for example, so I spent a lot of time Googling. I decided on liquid chlorophyll as well as dissolvable B12 tables that you put under your tongue. Well, I just got a call from my midwife that my platelets are holding steady (actually went up a touch since the first trimester blood test) so we are good to go for another homebirth! Because of my history if they kept dropping they would have at some point recommended doing a hospital birth instead due to the risk of PPH again. I'll be 36 wks tomorrow so this is very welcome news!

Anyway, I thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking into ways to improve their platelet counts. The liquid chlorophyll is not the tastiest thing in the world (reminds me of what I think lawnmower clippings would taste like) but I put it into a little shot glass with some juice and chug it. The instructions say to drink in a glass of water but I prefer to get it over with quickly and hide the taste a little bit. My latest favourite is white grape juice cause it's so sweet that there's no way I could drink it on it's own but it's perfect for this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing this info!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
yes thanks. iron did not work for ne either