Fertility Challenged Graduates Thread - Spring/Summer 2014 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 690Likes

#31 of 821 Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
@Sourire so cute you are!!!
#32 of 821 Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

@Autumnlaughing  - in my past 2 cycles, they had me taper off the progesterone and estrogen.  Not sure if it's always the case, but seems safer to me.

@TenzinsMama - Thanks :)

@Sourire  How cute are you!? Adorable!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#33 of 821 Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thanks for all validating my feelings on the hormones :)  I'd gone down to once a day on the Crinone on Tuesday, and I skipped yesterday and today altogether, so a pretty steep weening, but no spotting or anything, so that's been good.  Less tired enough that I was able to get some laundry done AND make myself dinner, despite working late, so that was good.  DH works/lives 100 miles away during the week, so I can't make him do it :p  I put my last set of estrogen patches on on Tuesday - I might just leave them on a little longer.  

Still queasy frequently, though, so that's reassuring... And I think I'm finally beginning to believe that I'm actually pregnant :)  

There was one woman that I see sometimes who shared that she'd also traveled the IF path, without success.  She'd rather no one know.  I emailed her today to let her know, hopefully ahead of the rumor mill - I'm worried that she'll be angry I didn't tell her in person, but *I've* strongly prefer a personal note from someone, and I feel like that's been the consensus, so that's what I did.  Even aside from that, telling people who were in my "wanting kids but can't have them" boat is sucky - I wish I could share, somehow! 

@Sourire - cute picture :)  

@Kewpie80 -fx for you!!

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle =  due in late November!
#34 of 821 Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Finally got on my computer and got your blurb added, Sourire! How was the baby shower?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#35 of 821 Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just poking my head in... will come back later.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#36 of 821 Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM

Hello, hope I'm not jumping the gun here! Got a beta of 278 today, 14 days past retrieval. Hubby & I are so excited! This is our first pregnancy, hoping I get to stay here all 9 months! :love

#37 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

autumn - so glad to hear you haven't had any spotting after weaning progesterone, that is a great sign. Queasy sounds great... just enough to be reassuring, but not full blown miserable nausea. I think that's really nice how you told your friend about your pregnancy, how did she react?

monkey - the baby shower was really lovely! We played all the usual silly baby shower games, ate cupcakes, and I got so many insanely cute little outfits for my little girl :throb

mainebaby - huge congrats to you and welcome!!! That is a fabulous beta, mine was around 150 at 15 dpo. How are you feeling? When is your ultrasound?

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#38 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Laggie - I'm crazy excited for you and your Greek twins!!!!! How are things going with you? How many weeks along are you? Any symptoms?

#39 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM

@Sourire - Thank you! I'm feeling great, just tired and very hungry. U/S is 4/28. I'll be one day shy of 7 weeks then.

#40 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 01:27 PM

I'm a bit confused about how you are calculating your weeks mainebaby! If you'll be 7 weeks on April 28, that would make you 3 weeks pregnant today, but yesterday you said you were 14 days past retrieval aka 4 weeks pregnant. Am I missing something? I just ask because it seems like your ultrasound is pretty far, mine was about 3 weeks after my beta.

#41 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Oh I guess 8 wks! I counted wrong. I thought it was odd they didn't want to see me until then, either; the nurse said my beta was so high they didn't need me to come in for a second or third. My Dr. (who doesn't even do the US, I believe!) is on vacation the week before it & the nurse said I have to be at least 6wks5days for the U/S.

#42 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM

I think things went OK with the friend - she sent back a fairly brief "Congratulations!" note, which is fine.   We'll see... 

I'm actually home sick today - I think I'm fighting a sinus infection, and maybe I did too much this past weekend.  I actually feel mostly fine, except that even walking across my bedroom gets me winded, and making lunch felt like going for a run!  Normally, I try to keep myself super-warm when I have something like this going on, but I know that's contraindicated..  I would have spent the day (or the part of it I wasn't napping..) writing to all the other people who should hear that I'm pregnant before the rumor mill gets to them, but it seemed like a challenging date to do that on.

I did pull some of my larger pants out (I lost weight about a year back) + got them in the washer - I've got 2 pairs that are fine, 2 that are OK with the hairtie method, but given that laundry is now a hassle, it would be a bit of a blessing if some of the pairs that were a size up would work now!   It's ridiculous how proud I get of myself for doing a load of laundry. 

@mainebaby - glad to have you here!  I hope you stay, too :)    I think us IVF kids get it a little rougher to start with the minor surgery and the extra hormones, but hopefully you won't stay as tired as I am!!

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 2/2014 - IVF cycle =  due in late November!
#43 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM

I think you have a better chance of seeing a heartbeat a little later - my clinic said they usually do 2 u/s, but my insurance would only pay for one - given that we were lucky enough to see the heartbeat at 6+3 and that I don't really want to have more u/s then I really think are necessary, we've decided against the second one.  Honestly, I kind of wondered why they didn't just do one at 7 or 8 weeks.

#44 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Sourire - I'm 17 weeks today! I've had terrible morning sickness and of course I'm tired all the time. It's a good thing I'm only working two days a week (and even then I'm only managing 4-5 hours before going home.) Next ultrasound is April 28th, maybe we'll find out if they're boys or girls. I keep changing my mind about wanting to know.

#45 of 821 Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh Laggie! Congratulations.

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (3) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
#46 of 821 Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM

@Autumnlaughing - So you’re about 3.5 weeks ahead of me. :twothumbsHope your sinus infection is better now! I am also definitely feeling much more plump (already?!)  than I was before the IVF cycle. I wore a pencil skirt to work today and it was sooo painful on my stomach… actually that might’ve been the pantyhose that made it so uncomfortable! Thank you for the welcome. Good to know there are advantages to waiting longer for the first US. I also don’t think it’s healthy to do too many US’s. Will you ask to find out the sex later on at the 18-20 wk US or no? I don’t think we will, but my mind could change!

@Laggie - Congratulations! I’ve seen your posts during my lurking days. privateeyes.gifWe both have US’s the same day! GL!

#47 of 821 Old 04-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Laggie, I've been wondering how you have been doing!  Congrats on the twins!  Sorry to hear about the morning sickness, that's rough.  Have you found some things that give you some relief?

Maine, congratulations!  What an exciting, magical journey it is. :)

How about Blue, has anybody heard from her and know how she's doing with her little guy?  

Hi to everyone else!  Back to lurking...

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#48 of 821 Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM

I am feeling a bit better - still kind of congested, but I went to work yesterday and everything :)   I did sleep 24 hours in the time between getting out of work Monday and going back in today. 

I think I had some ups and downs of post retrieval bloat - I realized today that I'm back to the usual setting on my belt again?  And sometimes the scale would say 155.0, sometimes 158.6, sometimes 157.2..  I never trust one day's scale reading anyway though! 

I'm not sure whether we'll find out sex - I think it would be fun to have a surprise, and might stop the pink/blue deluge, but it's the norm to find out among my friends/family etc., and I think I'll pick my battles elsewhere!

#49 of 821 Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post

Sourire - I'm 17 weeks today! I've had terrible morning sickness and of course I'm tired all the time. It's a good thing I'm only working two days a week (and even then I'm only managing 4-5 hours before going home.) Next ultrasound is April 28th, maybe we'll find out if they're boys or girls. I keep changing my mind about wanting to know.
Are you eating ginger chews? Do you have things like the cones for ice cream, crackers and such laying around? Are you waking up in the middle of the night to eat a snack so your stomach is not completely empty in the morning? Are you wearing a " sea band".
Hope you feel better soon
#50 of 821 Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM

tracyamber - I'm taking Diclectin AND Zofran. This has stopped the puking but I still feel queasy off and on, and I get indigestion in the evenings. At the beginning I was trying all of that stuff, but then at 9 weeks it got so bad I couldn't even keep water down, so I got drugs. I wake up STARVING at night and have to get up and eat cheerios or cottage cheese with fruit. For a few weeks it was every two hours, but now it's usually once per night around 2 am.

But, I do feel good from about noon to 5 pm, so I'm able to get some stuff done. I made a bunch of cloth wipes from flannel scraps and terry cloth this week. I need to start packing/sorting through our stuff, as we need to move to a place that is more suitable for kids. Our bedroom is too small for a crib, I want to do a sidecar setup but there's not enough space here. 

#51 of 821 Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM

tenzinsmama - Thank you! I feel so lucky to finally be on this journey.

autumn - Ah, scales. Mine reads what it wants... it’s accurate to within 2 or 3 lbs. :pI’m with you with the pink vs. blue thing; I especially don’t feel blue is only for boys (I love blue!).

laggie - I’m so sorry about your morning sickness. Glad you are starting to find *some* relief. I used to have a horrible problem where if I started feeling sick, whether from a migraine or skipping a meal I would, without fail, throw up over and over. I wouldn’t be able to keep down food until I slept a full night’s sleep. Ginger tea from the brand “Yogi” helped me a bunch, but also I mysteriously stopped (thank God!) getting migraines a couple of years ago & now I really pay attention to when I eat, making sure never to skip a meal. GL!

AFM: My nurse told me today that my Dr. told me the wrong DD (lol!) and it’s actually 12/8. I knew it! TMI -I’ve been having the worst gas pains! Granted the tacos haven’t helped :rotflmao

#52 of 821 Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM

@Laggie - I'm glad you're feeling better, too!  I'll be moving mid-pregnancy as well - I currently live with two housemates, and I told them that if the IVF worked, I'd move out before the kid was born.  I can't imagine trying to move right now though - my agreement with myself is that the first trimester is for planning, the second trimester is for doing.  Do you know where yet? 

@mainebaby - that's how I feel about mine - it suspiciously likes to have the exact same weight days in a row, then jump.  Yesterday and today it was 155.8.  That's an OK number, but I'm suspicious that I didn't even fluctuate 2 oz? I think it might be healthier, really - 2-3 pounds don't matter a ton! I'm OK with pink  (in general, not my favorite dominant color..) but I do prefer blue.  Also DH hates green with a passion... which means the "neutral" colors are tricky!   Every once in awhile I eat something too fast or something that I have a mild allergy to, and it is no fun!  There's no room for gas!!  Especially around those sore ovaries!  At my u/s, they told me that our ovaries actually swell in early pregnancy anyway.  Would have been nice to hear that before. I am less crampy and sore now than I was- hopefully it'll get better for you, too!

#53 of 821 Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 AM

How's everyone doing this week?

Re finding out the gender - I chose to find out the sex of my baby and I'm happy I did because now I'm able to call her by name when I talk about her... I really dislike referring to my daughter as "the baby" or especially "it", I already feel like she is a real person and calling her "it" makes it feel like she isn't! Also after TTC for so long I had such a hard time believing that I was really going to have a baby for most of my pregnancy and finding out the gender and giving her a name made it all seem more real. Of course I'm also the type of person who wants to know everything right away (when I was a kid I would find where my parents had hidden my Christmas gifts because I couldn't wait until Christmas to see what they were) so I don't think I could have resisted finding out anyways!

autumnlaughing & mainebaby - I too kind of dislike the pink/blue thing. I refuse to buy anything pink for my daughter on principle. The bedroom we are putting her in was already blue and I liked the colour so I chose not to repaint it (I also don't like the idea of having all those paint fumes in the room)! Of course I got some pink outfits as gifts, but I also got plenty of little boy clothes as hand-me-downs so she definitely won't be wearing pink all the time.

autumnlaughing - I've been weighing myself every morning for the past 5 months and entering my weight into an app on my phone that graphs my weight. While doing this I realized a few things. One is that my digital scale always rounds to the nearest 0.2 lbs so if my weight only changes by 0.1 lbs from one day to the next I will get the same measurement on the scale. Two is that my weight can easily go up or down 1lb or more in a day but that doesn't mean much, it's normal to have some fluctuation based on what you ate, when you last went to the bathroom, etc. Three is that I often stay at the same weight for a week or more and then suddenly go up by 2-3 lbs in just a couple of days, my weight gain seems to happen in spurts. So far I've gained a total of 30lbs but I didn't gain anything at all in the first trimester and was even losing weight for a while around 6-8 weeks.

laggie - Sorry to hear you're still feeling sick, although it's good that you have a few hours a day when you can be functional. I took Diclectin until about 25 weeks, I tried weaning off it earlier but wasn't able to start reducing my dose at all until around 18 weeks and then I gradually took less and less pills until I stopped completely. When I finally stopped I replaced Diclectin with vitamin B6 (that is one of the ingredients of Diclectin) because I still felt a bit queasy, and I finally stopped the B6 just a few weeks ago! I just bought an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper and I'm excited about trying the sidecar sleeping arrangement, I think it will be ideal for me because I like the idea of having baby sleep right next to me but my bed is not super safe for cosleeping due to gaps between the mattress and frame and so on.

monkeyscience - What's new with you?

AFM - I only have 3 more days of work this week and then I begin maternity leave, I won't be coming back to my job for a year! It's so surreal, but I'll be glad to have the free time because I have so much stuff to do before baby comes.

#54 of 821 Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Sourie, that is one of the other benefits!  When I mentioned that I was having trouble feeling as attached to the little one as I'd thought I would, one friend suggested that it might be a good reason to find out sex.   I definitely like to have ALL of the information (I'm a data analyst by trade...) too, and I think I had also thought that since I'm strongly considering homebirth and wouldn't homebirth without an U/s fairly late in the game, I'd be peering at any pictures trying to figure it out and THEN it would drive me bonkers!  

I've been feeling a ton better the last few days - I went from "can't function" for roughly weeks 2?3?-7, to a sort of "Can (almost) function, but can't get caught up with the last 4-5 weeks" for weeks 7-8, and just this weekend I think I'm up to fairly normal levels of OK - and just in the nick of time!  We had our big "all hands on deck" event at work this weekend, which meant long days and more standing/moving things.

So of course, I'm worried.. but I keep telling myself that it's more likely that I had extra follicles doing the corpus luteum thing and producing extra hormones, and now that it's time for the placenta (of which there's only one...) to take over, they're dying back and *that's* why I feel better.  This also gives me hope that a future pregnancy from one of the ones we froze won't be so bad ;) 

I kind of meant to ask what you all thought of this theory, but honestly, I think it'll keep me saner than not, so I'm sticking to it!  (I've banned myself from looking up any more studies on IVF.. too emotional!!)

Also Sourie - a year of maternity leave - that's awesome!   I can't believe that I'll be gone from my job for 3 months even (US standard), but at the same time, I once dreamed of being a SAHM, and I can't imagine how hard it's going to be leave my (hopefully) 3 month old in child care :(   Also, I spent a lot of this year's event thinking about how hard it'll be to deal with pumping at next year's event!  

I'm also curious as to how everyone else is doing!

#55 of 821 Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM

@Sourire - Glad to hear we have company in the "not sooo into pink" club. Don't get me wrong, I like pink, but when girls are dressed ALL in pink every day and all their stuff is pink it gets weird. ;) Yay for a year of leave!! That's wonderful, congratulations!

@Autumnlaughing - Happy you're feeling better, it's probably fine that you are (enjoy the relief!) I haven't been sick at all, but my mother wasn't sick with any of us 3, my sis didn't, and my sis-in-law didn't with her boy, but did with her girl. Not sure if it has anything to do with heredity, though. Also I drink a cup of ginger tea every day anyway. Hope the sickness stays away :)

AFM: I can't wait for the US!! 4/28 seems so far yet so close. In a few weeks we are going to have a few good pics taken of the two (three, I guess!!) of us for a Facebook pregnancy announcement. *Que eye rolling.* I use to pooh pooh those and say, "I'll NEVER do that!" But at the rate the news is traveling (sis-in-law and nana, I'm lookin' at YOU ladies!!) if we don't do one soon, the news is going to reach our families and friends without us getting to announce it. And I feel like after 9 yrs I should have the rights to the REAL announcement, NOT the grape vine!

Baby shopping talk: Don't make fun, I bought my first maternity clothes! 2 prs pants & 2 shirts. I bought one cloth diaper because I'm insane, lol. I want to buy a baby book with a pregnancy section so bad!  I love this one but it's so expensive. Hubby insists on a hardbound one. https://www.etsy.com/listing/155199330/baby-booknavy-chevronperfect-bound?ref=favs_view_1 

What have you girls bought for maternity or baby so far?

#56 of 821 Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 AM

@monkeyscience - Can I do a blurb? :1praying Idk what color it should be but here goes:

Due in December 2014

mainebaby - EDD Dec 8 - expecting baby #1 after 9 years, thanks to IVF

#57 of 821 Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Done, mainebaby. I'm doing rainbow colors (ROYGBIV), so you are green. Unless anyone strongly objects, and then I will change them. Or if Laggie wants to add a blurb (which would be lovely!), and then I'll have to change them all again (because I'm OCD like that), and you'll be yellow. :)

I'm horribly sick with a respiratory infection and in the midst of a whirlwind househunting trip, so I'll save more chat for later, except we did schedule our anatomy ultrasound (from the airport!) for May 9th! Looking forward to finding out boy or girl. :)

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#58 of 821 Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM

OK great, tyvm monkey! Sorry about your infection, I hope it goes away real soon. GL with househunting & the US!

#59 of 821 Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hi all:

Just popping in to say hi and following along.

Laggie - twins!!!!!!! Yay! Finally!

Monkey - sorry you are sick. At least you have the u/s to look forward to.

Sourire- wow, other people's pregnancies seem to go so fast, you are almost there!

Hi to everyone else.

AFM- just nursing little girl and snuggling her, she is a big girl, over 16 lbs at just 5 months. My son was 9 months when he was her weight. She is the happiest and most smiley baby ever.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#60 of 821 Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Today I went on an emergency shopping trip for work clothes that didn't require a damn belt.  In the process, I remembered a bunch of summer clothes that are in a box somewhere.... (I'm going to have to find that box!)  Even the waistband on my jeans has just gotten really uncomfortable - it's not so much a tightness, but something about it seems to make the nausea worse?  Anyway I'm hoping that a gentle elastic waist will be better.  (Also, by the afternoon the belt buckle sticks out and.. well, I just needed clothes that didn't make me feel self-conscious)

A friend who just had her second kid (and last - hyperemesis with both, I don't think anything would be enough to convince her to do it again) has given me bunches of maternity clothes, but they're mostly very casual, OR they'll show off a cute bump well, but I'm still mostly "in the closet", so I don't want to show off my not-quite-a-bump yet!   I bought a couple of maternity shirts from a second hand place earlier this week, too. 

I think a study of maternity clothes through the ages would be fascinating... 

I've had a few cute baby things for years - a few organic footie pajamas that I picked up cheap years ago, some socks and hats.  I have one dress that I knitted that I kept.  

Monkey - I hope you feel better soon!   And hope that the HH was productive.. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page