When to worry about dehydration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I go through this every pregnancy and somehow I can't actually remember when you start to worry about dehydration from morning sickness. Can anyone refresh me? 

I kept down 1 quart of water yesterday between 4-7pm and 1-2 cups more over night. Everything else I have had before and after that feels like it is just washing out my stomach. It comes back up instantly and completely :(  Sorry if that is gross. I have had a low grade headache for 2 days now and I really just want to hide under the covers but I have 3 other kids to take care of. Bleck. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What is your urine output like? I find that the best at-home indicator of hydration. If you are well hydrated it should be pale yellow to clear in colour and you should be passing a good amount every few hours. If it is dark orange and less frequent then you need to try and have more fluids. If you haven't weed at all for 12hrs then I would suggest you see someone about IV rehydration. And, even if you have weed, but your headache is getting worse and/or you feel dizzy you should probably see someone anyway.

Have you tried sucking on ice? Sometimes the tiny amounts stay down more easily. Or take one small sip of water every 5 minutes rather than having larger volumes at once. You have to be on too of it all the time but those little sips add up over the day.

All the best. I still vividly remember the horror of the first 18 weeks and my children are 3.75yo and 16mo.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you!  I don't know why it is so hard to remember these things. I probably intentionally forget:)  I guess I am ok for now. Peeing every 4-8 hours and not super dark yet. Forgot to mention I am also nursing which makes me extra nervous about dehydration. I haven't started prenatal care yet (but I will in the next week or two) or I would just call my midwife. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

User Tag List