Viability scans two days apart - worth it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had a viability/dating scan two days ago. Gestational sac put me at 6 weeks 2 days, which I think is pretty accurate. Yolk sac was present, but the tech couldn't detect a fetal pole or heartbeat on abdominal or transvaginal ultrasound. She told me to come back for a rescan in 7-10 days.

Today I got a call from a nurse at my medical centre, saying my doctor had told me to book another scan. She assumed the doctor meant 'right away', and when I explained that the tech had suggested 7-10 days, the nurse got confused and said I should ring the ultrasound place and ask them what to do.

Would there be any point in having a rescan so soon? Surely a baby can't grow from undetectable to visible with a heartbeat in two days? But man, it'd be really nice to know sooner rather than later. Any thoughts?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If your dates are right on with what you saw already, then why are they suggesting another scan at all?  Do you have reason to think the baby isn't viable, or another reason you would look again?  I would either wait a few more weeks and then get another really really quick one if that would be reassuring and the benefits truly outweighed the risks of ultrasound.  Or you could just wait until you could hear with the fetoscope and feel baby wiggling around!

#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, at 6 weeks 2 days a fetal pole is detectable in 86% of cases with a transvaginal ultrasound. So yes, there is some concern about viability. I don't think I could stand waiting for months to hear a heartbeat or feel the baby kicking - waiting a week is hard enough!

I did ring the ultrasound place and they said to stick to the 7-10 day plan, so I will. It's horrible though. :/ I'm still feeling full-on nasty pregnancy symptoms, but in the case of a blighted ovum the body still thinks it's pregnant, so that's not a reason to be hopeful. 

#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I totally understand it being hard to wait.  I just wanted to make sure you knew it was an option!  I was grateful that I didn't have an early ultrasound with my 2 miscarriages, because the time between the demise and the miscarriages was weeks, and it would have been really hard to wait for nature to take her course.  With this pregnancy though I did get an u/s at 9 weeks to help relieve my anxiety, so I very much understand that side of it too.  I hope that you see a nice strong heartbeat in a week, I have heard of so many stories where that is the case!  Those early ones can just be really tricky and ambiguous.  I'm wishing you a very speedy waiting period.  Maybe you can do something special for yourself to help make it more tolerable?

#5 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. :) I haven't given up hope, I just feel kinda in limbo. I'd like to start sewing maternity clothes and baby clothes, but it seems silly to do that just yet. :/ I have to spend half the day in bed feeling dizzy and exhausted, so I can't do too much to distract myself except read - luckily I love that, and have ploughed through some great ones in the last few days! Accidentally reading one about a teenager dying of cancer may not have been smart, however...

#6 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can totally see how that wait would seem like forever. I think I would stick to the 7-10 day timeframe just because I think you're right that 2 days is not likely to change the result and then your doubts would only be magnified, it would not likely be reassuring at all. Hopefully in a week you can at least get a slightly more definitive answer.

Margo B likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page