Prometrium - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Because of my history of miscarriages, an RE gave me a prescription for progesterone to take during my next pregnancy. The prescription said: Prometrium 100 mg, insert 2 vaginally from positive pregnancy test until 11 weeks.

I got my BFP this morning and went to get my prescription filled this evening. The pharmacist was very confused because apparently these pills are usually taken orally after menopause.

The pharmacist said he had never heard of using them this way in his 32 years as a pharmacist. He didn't know if I was supposed to take them daily (I think so) or the time of day (I would guess night, but I wanted to know if I should use 1 in the morning and 1 at night), and he seemed really surprised when I told him I was already almost 4 weeks along because he wanted to give me 11 weeks' worth. He gave me 15 pills out of one package (of 30) and told me to come back for the rest tomorrow after he has had a chance to speak to my RE. He also told me to ignore all the packaging info because it is oral instructions. So... shall I use them tonight or wait until he has confirmed the details tomorrow? I suppose I tested early enough that waiting an extra day couldn't hurt.

Has anyone here used Prometrium vaginally to maintain a pregnancy?

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#2 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Congrats on your BFP!!  1 in the morning and 1 at night is the best way to do it.

I'm sure someone else will give you more help but I didn't know they were to be taken orally.

Me - 39 - mthfr c677t and multiple unknown caused m/c's
DH - 40 - old and cranky
DS - 6 - ASD and severe adhd
#3 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindlessChrissy View Post

Congrats on your BFP!!  1 in the morning and 1 at night is the best way to do it.

I'm sure someone else will give you more help but I didn't know they were to be taken orally.

Thanks for your reply! I have to go to bed now, but maybe I will use one before bed. 

I am reading the insert and it says not to use if you are pregnant. But then again, it is for menopausal women.

#4 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Good luck! Far as I know you can use the oral tablet vaginally. If you're not comfortable with it then wait to see what happens with the pharmacist tomorrow.

DH - 40 - old and cranky
#5 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I used Prometrium vaginally during my first trimester.  I have heard of people taking them orally, but I have heard of more people using them vaginally. I'm surprised the pharmacist was surprised.  I did one in the morning and one before bed.  You might want to wear a panty liner because there can be some discharge which mostly looks like the coating on the pill.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I hope all goes well.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! They are so round--they don't even look like they are meant to be taken orally.

I used one last night and one this morning. Then a female pharmacist called me to say that she has been through it herself because she had IVF. She said that it is a common use but the number of women who use it is so small and the number of pharmacists is so large that many pharmacists don't see these women. Anyway, she told me to take 2 together at the same time every day. But she said they are still waiting to hear from my doctor and she will call back if she hears different. She also told me that when she did it the first time, she took it orally, but then she moved to NS and was told to take it vaginally because that was what the latest evidence supported. She assured me that the REs are knowledgeable of the latest evidence and I am in good hands.

So I will pick up the rest of the pills tonight and then I will use 1 tonight and maybe tomorrow start using them both together at bedtime. Unless the RE says otherwise. I do think spacing them out is nice for keeping levels steady though.

#7 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 AM

I'm glad she was able to put your mind at ease.

DH - 40 - old and cranky
#8 of 13 Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

Thanks! They are so round--they don't even look like they are meant to be taken orally.

Yeah! It's funny. They look like little candies.

#9 of 13 Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

I keep thinking I see specks of blood in my underwear, but there is no bleeding when I wipe. Could that be related to the Prometrium? Should I worry?

On a related note, I slipped up on my insertion one night and the capsule became fused to my vulva. Has that ever happened to anyone else? I could not get it off, so I left it and it seemed to dissolve overnight anyway. I'll just have to be more careful from now on.

#10 of 13 Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Perhaps you are tapping the cervix when you insert the prometrium? It may be more delicate now because the blood vessels are full of blood more than usual because you are pregnant. Just a guess. Are your pills yellow or another color? I always saw the color of the coating of the pill on my pantyliner.

#11 of 13 Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

They are white, and yes, I am seeing white discharge, but a few specks (like the size of a pinhead) of red. I suspect I am irritating something. And yes, except for the time that it fused itself elsewhere, they have sat against my cervix. 

#12 of 13 Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I used prometrium for the first 11 weeks of my current pregnancy.  I did 200 mg vaginally at night.  I did have a bleed at 10 weeks, most likely because I was irritating my cervix from sticking it too far up there and checking it almost every time I inserted one.  So I would advise only putting it 1-1.5 knuckles in based on my experience.  I worried that I should be doing it twice a day, but once was plenty since 200 mg is already "overboard" as far as what is needed.  I had some stomach aches/side stitches from it when I first started, but it was only a day or two.  I'm pretty confident that it gave me morning sickness too, since I hadn't had any with my first two pregnancies that ended in miscarriage.  My nausea was super mild though this time still compared to others (no throwing up ever)

#13 of 13 Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for telling me what to expect, Margo. After my last post, I stopped putting them in as far, like you suggested. I have only had bleeding one other time, and that was after sex. As a sidenote, the Prometrium made me super self-conscious during sex, even though I showered beforehand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page