Shortening cervix 16 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went in for a follow up scan today and much to my surprise my cervical length was only measuring 2.5 cm it should be 3-5 cm

I also have a subchronic hematoma which is measuring 8.5cm x 6 cm

Very worry Dr is hoping we can make it to 23 weeks.....

I have a massive hematoma or blood clot just above my cervix. He would place to cerclage, but he's afraid it'll do more harm than good. He thinks the pressure from the blood over my cervix is causing the shortening. We go back for a recheck May 1st

And my Dr is very worried. He's a afraid that ill pass the clot and when that happens it will tear the baby's sac causing my water to break. He has his fingers Crossed that it won't happen until 23 weeks. But I REALLY do not wanna deliver prior to 26 weeks do to develop of baby and he'll have a much better fighting chance. And this is all coming from my perinatologist

Any advice, positive outcomes would be MUCH APPRECIATED
#2 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone????
#3 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did read but don't have any experience. Goodluck and hugs.
#4 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Are you on bed rest? What did the Dr. tell you to do? I will say a prayer for you! Keep us posted.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#5 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ive had shortening due to bad stress in the workplace and my dr sent me home on the spot. No bedrest just told me to take it easy for two weeks. I did and my cervix lengthened again.
My pregnancy was very healthy for a few months then stress exacerbated again and ds1 was born 5 weeks early.
Not that taking it easy can cure any and all pregnancy complications but it helps with a lot of them - i think you should immediately put your feet up, if not go on full bedrest. As in NOW , as you read this. Sending good thoughts your way!
edited to ask whether you're on magnesium supplements to stop contractions?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#6 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

We are using progesterone suppositories. But nothing to stop contractions, they won't until we're 20 weeks:( And I'm not on bed rest yet, but of it gets to 2.0 cm ill be on strict bed rest.
#7 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 AM

I'm sorry for not having made myself very clear, I was on the road and typing on my phone. I expect that they told you they will not give you hormones to stop contractions. However, magnesium is a very benign natural muscle relaxant, nothing to do with actually hormonally stopping contractions, but having a slight relaxing effect on all your muscles to stop stress-induced tightening. (It's how epsom salt baths work but I am sure you're not supposed to have warm baths). It might relax you mentally a bit, too, and help you sleep. I would definitely ask about it at your next appointment. One of my drs insisted on my taking oodles of it throughout my pregnancies whenever I felt stress was making my uterus tighten up again. He was a bit clueless in other repects but the magnesium recommendation I remember as being helpful every time.

You have to make sure not to overdose because it will give you diarrhea, which is harmless normally but may not be in your case, anything that puts stress on your abdomen I am sure should be avoided. We give the kids therapeutic doses of 200 to 250 mg daily, they sleep better and for 3yo DD, who weighs 14 kg and has had problems with chronic constipation, it has a slightly laxative effect. A grown up might probably take twice as much without inducing diarrhea. You might ask for a start up dose of 100 mg and then slowly raise it up by 50 mg increments. As soon as you notice a bit of stool softening and gas, go down to the lower dose and keep on it. Worth a shot, if your docs agree.

Just recalled that they give super-high doses of magnesium as a muscle relaxant in order to avoid premature labor to women who have had in-utero surgery for Spina BIfida, too. This surgery typically happens between the 18th and 26th weeks. So this is an established medical route. (We opted for postnatal surgery ourselves with our youngest who has SB, but I researched it carefully at the time.)

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#8 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, I'll research the magnesium more!
#9 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Sending sticky vibes your way! :Hug

#10 of 24 Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the ER at 6 this mornIng I had been contracting ask night, my cervix is 2.2 cm, Dr said bed rest:eat
#11 of 24 Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Hugs!!!

#12 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hematoma has grown to 8.5 cm x 8.7 cm the hematoma is pushing its way under in placenta:/ my cervix is down to 2.2 cm and now I'm going to the perinatologist weekly
#13 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 PM

I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of you. You're 18 weeks now right? 5 weeks to go at least. .. Please try to be very very good to yourself during this hard time of waiting and hoping.

#14 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!
#15 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh, how scary. I'm sorry, I can't imagine how tough this must be.

How's your support system? Do you have a partner, family and/or friends to ensure you can keep on bedrest?

I do know plenty of women who've been somewhat effaced and even significantly dilated for several weeks of pregnancy, before going on to have normal full-term births; I don't know how relevant that is to your specific situation, though.

Here's hoping for the best! And I hope you have a huge stock of DVDs and books on hand!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#16 of 24 Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, my kids go to daycare during the day and my husband picks them up after work to take care of them while I do mothinh:cold
#17 of 24 Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Been bleeding yesterday and today
#18 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Still bleeding.

Not doing good I'm balling I'm scared and I feel helpless Got more answers today. Dr just did rounds.

The hematoma is completely surrounding the sac including being behind the placenta..she said the placenta is still intact and is worried because I'm still 4 weeks out from being able to deliver.
#19 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Are you hospitalized now? You should not be alone during such a scary time. Is anyone with you in real life?

#20 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I'm on bed rest. And I have my hubby, mom and mother in law
#21 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM

All three of them? Having them all in the same room would have driven me round the bend during the hardest part of my high risk pregnancy with a special needs child. Really, I just wanted my husband.
Would it help you to spend some time just with hin and the two of you talk to the baby? Fear makes you lose all feelings of connectedness, and regaining that may help you get through the coming weeks. Don't be afraid to love this baby even though you sre afraid you may have to let it go. Do you have a name?

#22 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

No, goodness no not at the same time!!!! My hubby is here and when he's gone my mom OR mother in law is here lol!!! I'm not giving up hope not a bit a have faith by baby will come too soon too small but he's strong he'll fight through. I just really pray I make it another month:
#23 of 24 Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal. I was diagnosed with hematoma today at 13wks. I got put on modified bed rest. And have a rowdy 2yr old so I don't see bed rest working out well. I truly hope you get through with a healthy baby
#24 of 24 Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

I was diagnosed with a subchronic hematoma early in my pregnancy. The hematoma has continued to grow throughout my pregnancy.

Last week at 19+2 days after 4 days of rusty red bleeding and passing strawberry sized clots. It was found on my ultrasound There are two layers to the sac, the amino sac surrounds the baby abd the chorion sac is around the amino sac. The hematoma torn a big hole in my chorion sac and the blood is between the two layers. So now there is a separation of the chorion and anmion layers which is called CHORIOAMNIOTIC SEPARATION.

And the hematoma is 11 cm x 8 cm and now behind the placenta making it a retroplacental hematoma

There is blood in the sac with baby as well.

I am on bed rest until I deliver. Please needed stories about chorion amnion separation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page