What foods/drinks do you avoid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!

I am about 13.5 weeks pg, and I have gotten so much conflicting advice about this. Tell me what foods or drinks you avoid and why!

I am currently avoiding:

alcohol (obviously--FAS)
high-mercury fish/seafood (but still eating fish/seafood twice a week)

I have gotten conflicting advice on:

processed lunchmeat/hot dogs (I know, I know, they're terrible for you anyway)
sprouts (I love them!)
chinese food

Can't think of anything else at the moment. TIA for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 04:51 PM

hey there! I also have a list of foods to avoid.. it's pretty short thus far:
alcohol
caffeine
general junk food... trying to eat healthier
tuna

I think with the lunch meat there's arisk of listeria? and I've also heard that you should avoid sprouts, but I don't recall why. Chinese food is one I haven't heard to avoid... in fact I just had some the other night. I would think that's a pretty broad category of foods to avoid, kwim?
#3 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 04:56 PM

here's a link from the March of Dimes about foods that are unsafe during pregnancy... it seems like sound information, but of course, take from it what you will. http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1152.asp
#4 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 04:56 PM

With my last PG I would drink a half-glass of wine if we went out and/or had a special dinner. We went out alot more before DD than we do now, lol! But then around my 6th month I lost my taste for it. I think this time I've had one half-glass of wine and that's it.

The only foods I really avoid are raw oysters. I absolutely love them. Mind you, it's not like you can find any here in the MidWest, lol!

I rarely eat deli meats, though I've had the odd salami sandwich. I also love sushi, but mostly eat veggie anyways (and again, not much here!). I did have some salmon sushi when PG with DD once, but that was in London at a very nice restaurant and I trusted it to be fresh and good.

I am drinking decaf tea, mostly b/c the caffeine upsets my tummy.

Hmmmm....that's really it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

DalaiMama -

I knew I was forgetting something...caffeine & junk food! These are things I try to avoid, but I don't beat myself up if I have a little, KWIM? As far as the chinese food goes, that came from DH, who swears he heard it somewhere. I think it's because of the MSG levels. I had some a couple days ago too! Another one of those "semi-avoided" foods.

That was a great link, thank you! My cousin walked for the March of Dimes last weekend. She has twin girls that were born over four months early! The were hospitalized for quite awhile, and developmentally behind for a couple years, but now they are beautiful, smart, athletic nine-year-olds! My cousin herself just passed her nursing boards and wants to work in a NICU.

Thank you!
#6 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Piglet68 -

Boy am I glad I'm past the nausea thing, because your post might have pushed me over the edge! I can't stomach wine, sushi, or the thought of raw oysters! I do have the occasional caffeine (usually a sip or two of pop just to calm my stomach), but it doesn't have an effect on me at all.

I live in the Midwest also--far, far away from sushi restaurants. In fact, I think you have to drive over a hour from my house just to find sushi.

Thanks for the input!
#7 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM

The no-nos on my list are:

- mercury-laden or raw fish (I really miss sushi!)
- salad from a bag (apparently there's a listeria risk)
- processed meats (disclaimer: I have snuck the odd piece of ham and pineapple pizza)
- unpasteurized cheeses (disclaimer: I did have one bite of goat cheese the other day, but it was domestic and possibly pasteurized)
- organ meats
- caffeinated beverages
- alcohol

Junk food is on the list all the time. I didn't realize that about sprouts - mind you, I've only had about two bites of sandwiches containing them since becoming pg. I also try to use less sugar when baking and drink less fruit juice, but sometimes I just can't make myself drink *another* glass of water.
#8 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 05:45 PM

MSG can cause a number of problems in adults, and I can't imagine that it would be good for a developing fetus. When we order Chinese food, we always ask for NO MSG - pregnant or not. Some pre-made things (like egg rolls, or crab rangoon) may already have MSG. But if they are cooking you something like fried rice, meat, and vegetables, just tell them not to add any MSG. Most of the time my food tastes about the same, but sometimes I just have to add more salt than usual. (Mono-SODIUM-Glutamate)

I didn't really know about listeria in the lunchmeats and hot dogs. I have been avoiding them for some time now because of the nitrates and nitrites. These are hard on our bodies, and even harder on the bodies of children because their livers aren't as big as ours and therefore it takes them even longer to process. I buy Shelton's chicken and turkey dogs at the health food store, that have no added nitrates or nitrites. They are frozen and we boil them - so no need to worry about listeria with those I guess!
#9 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 06:12 PM

I really only avoid what my mood/stomach tells me to avoid. They say stay away from soft cheeses but you have to pasteurize in the US - not the same as getting really Brie etc. Sandwich/deli meat - isn't getting listeria bad regardless of being pg?

My logic is if people around the world can survive on their normal less processed, over-antibioticed diets we should be ok here. Like everything it has to be your comfort level.

I will say I am pg with #3 and care a little less each time.
#10 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 08:34 PM

In most adults listeria passes with minor cold symptoms. If you are sick or have low immunity it can be a lot worse. It can kill an unborn fetus even if the mother barely notices she has it.
So while I don't ever worry about it normally, I am careful to avoid food that could have it while pregnant.
#11 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 PM

Aspartame, Splenda (sucralose), caffeine, alcohol limited to one glass of wine a week. Limiting sugar to just natural ice cream too - drinking lots of water!
#12 of 12 Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 PM

To be honest, I've not avoided a darn thing. I think I've had one serving at least of every "bad" thing on the list, except the things that I NORMALLY don't eat like aspartame and sushi.

I'm with ketilave.......I've been more on a "listen to my body" kind of trip this pregnancy. I've had CRAVINGS like no bodies business for Turkey sandwhiches and I've also suddenly had STRONG aversions to them.....I eat what my body has been telling me to eat (i.e. proteins, salty things, etc) and it seems like my body has been pretty good at keeping clear of things I don't need.......usually. For example, I will get the STRONGEST craving in the WORLD for a Corona....and I'll take one sip and thats enough....the thought of drinking the rest makes me kind of queezy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page