Ways to combat low blood pressure dizziness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I don't remember it being this bad with my other kids, but starting yesterday (6w5d), I have been so dizzy and faint that showering, cleaning, etc. have all been a challenge.  And when I do lie down, I get the spins.  Any ideas on how to fight this?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have really low blood pressure, and it always helps me to be active. When I'm not active I get my spells. I need to be exercising regularly (hand weights and cardio- i.e. walking a lot), and be eating protein every few hours. Even if it just means a handful of almonds. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm not sure how I'll fair (if it will get better for worse), but for now, that's what I do. Hope that helps... also drinking lots of water. Good luck to you! I know dealing with this sucks.

Married August 2012 .......    Baby BOY due Jan 6!
Love my two monstersMalamute & Newfoundland
#3 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita4 View Post

I have really low blood pressure, and it always helps me to be active. When I'm not active I get my spells. I need to be exercising regularly (hand weights and cardio- i.e. walking a lot), and be eating protein every few hours. Even if it just means a handful of almonds. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm not sure how I'll fair (if it will get better for worse), but for now, that's what I do. Hope that helps... also drinking lots of water. Good luck to you! I know dealing with this sucks.

Maybe that was the problem on Saturday - we didn't have anything good to eat, and I sat down too much.  On Sunday, I ate more often and I made myself go out shopping for clothes for dd.  I was still dizzy, but not bad like the day before.

#4 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ask your midwife/doctor about thigh-high compression stockings.  They have worked wonders for me!  Medical insurance covered them.  Of course, if you have hot summer weather coming on and you don't spend most of your time in AC, you might be too warm wearing them.

If you would normally drink caffeine but have cut back while pregnant, increasing it slightly may help.

Consider adding a little more salt to your food, especially when/if you feel any salt cravings.

Definitely drink plenty of fluids and eat regularly--always good ideas in general!

Here's some more detail on my experience with low BP and dizziness in my first pregnancy.  It hasn't been as bad this time around, but it's there.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

Ask your midwife/doctor about thigh-high compression stockings.  They have worked wonders for me!  Medical insurance covered them.  Of course, if you have hot summer weather coming on and you don't spend most of your time in AC, you might be too warm wearing them.

If you would normally drink caffeine but have cut back while pregnant, increasing it slightly may help.

Consider adding a little more salt to your food, especially when/if you feel any salt cravings.

Definitely drink plenty of fluids and eat regularly--always good ideas in general!

Here's some more detail on my experience with low BP and dizziness in my first pregnancy.  It hasn't been as bad this time around, but it's there.

Thanks so much, Becca. I had the same thoughts about caffeine and salt, but hadn't tried them yet. I will definitely try the ramen. I can't have any caffeine after noon, though, or I will never fall asleep. If that doesn't help, I will try the stockings.

#6 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Thank you.for that link, Becca! Several of those things I have figured out on my own, but you connected a few dots that were very helpful

I get a little worried when I see stars or have ringing in my ears, but I know I don't have high blood pressure. It usually happens when I am too warm, like in the shower, or sitting in the sun. Makes sense to be a low blood pressure thing then. It also happens sometimes when not pg, especially for the first 6 months or so, and really bad when it is warm.

I guess I will stop feeling guilty about a little caffeine, and chips. Since high school, the only thing that could stop my horrible.migraines was a frozen coke. If I didn't drink one in time, the only other way was to wait until I violently threw up. Did some reading on that...something about a vagus nerve response. Kind of a reset button.

Anyway, that was very helpful!
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Glad it was helpful!  I have migraines that respond well to caffeine, too; I wonder if there is some connection between that and the low blood pressure.  I know that migraines are caused by UNEVEN dilation of blood vessels in the brain, which is triggered by various things.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page