Did you pregnancy symptoms differ consistently by the baby's sex? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with #3, and my symptoms are closer to my pregnancy with DS than with DD. With DD I had more nausea; with DS, less nausea but lots of dizziness and fatigue. This is another dizziness/fatigue pregnancy, though I think I have a touch more nausea than with DS (though not as much as with DD.)

I've known several women who said "I think this baby is another girl, it 'feels' like my girl pregnancies" or "I'd be sicker if it was a girl, this was more like when I was carrying my boy". Can't remember if they were right or not, though! :p 

Anyway, is there any scientific basis behind this idea? I can't really see why an X versus Y chromosome would affect how sick/tired/nauseated a mother felt, so I'm tempted to assume it's another old wives' tale along the lines of 'you crave salty food if it's a boy, sweet if it's a girl'. But what do I know? The human body is strange. Any thoughts?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#2 of 13 Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with #3 also. I have two DSs already and was terribly sick with both - even hospitalized with #2 because I couldn't keep anything down. Everyone was so surprised that both turned out to be boys because all the old stories say that you're more nauseous with girls. Now with #3, I'm less nauseous than either of the previous two but I'm still only 7 weeks and am being really proactive/preventative with supplements and meds so that may be affecting it too. I'm just hoping it keeps up! And secretly hoping for a girl too... smile.gif

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#3 of 13 Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I had two very different pregnancies which both brought me boys.  I was so sure ds2 was a girl that I only bought white and pink clothes.  When he was 4 days old we went to return everything and the cashiers all laughed at me  lol

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 13 Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with number three, but we decided not to find out the sex this time. I was going to say, though, I thought that there was such a huge difference between my first and second, a girl and a boy, that I would know this time based on which it was more similar to... Nope! A third, totally different pregnancy.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#5 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

No pattern for me; sorry.

I have read three more interesting ways to tell the sex: if left boob is bigger, it's a girl; if boobs overall grow more, it's a girl; if placenta is on the left, it's a girl.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#6 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I'm pregnant with #3, and my symptoms are closer to my pregnancy with DS than with DD. With DD I had more nausea; with DS, less nausea but lots of dizziness and fatigue. This is another dizziness/fatigue pregnancy, though I think I have a touch more nausea than with DS (though not as much as with DD.)

I've known several women who said "I think this baby is another girl, it 'feels' like my girl pregnancies" or "I'd be sicker if it was a girl, this was more like when I was carrying my boy". Can't remember if they were right or not, though! :p 

Anyway, is there any scientific basis behind this idea? I can't really see why an X versus Y chromosome would affect how sick/tired/nauseated a mother felt, so I'm tempted to assume it's another old wives' tale along the lines of 'you crave salty food if it's a boy, sweet if it's a girl'. But what do I know? The human body is strange. Any thoughts?

I don't know yet because I only have one boy, but this "feels" like another boy.

I think a lot of the sex difference theories (i.e., how high you are carrying?) are not based on any science, but I can see the argument for symptoms if they are caused by hormones: presumably if you are carrying a girl, you have more progesterone and estrogen in your system than if you are carrying a boy (which I guess would result in more testosterone), but as I am typing this out now, I am wondering how much sex hormone a tiny 6 week old embryo would realistically put out. There must be a time when these hormones spike in order to result in sex differentiation, but could they really account for first trimester symptoms?

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#7 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

I don't know yet because I only have one boy, but this "feels" like another boy.

I think a lot of the sex difference theories (i.e., how high you are carrying?) are not based on any science, but I can see the argument for symptoms if they are caused by hormones: presumably if you are carrying a girl, you have more progesterone and estrogen in your system than if you are carrying a boy (which I guess would result in more testosterone), but as I am typing this out now, I am wondering how much sex hormone a tiny 6 week old embryo would realistically put out. There must be a time when these hormones spike in order to result in sex differentiation, but could they really account for first trimester symptoms?

I don't know. The only differences I consistently remember between my last two pregnancies was that when I was pg with a girl, my skin got dry and I had no zits, but with a boy, I got lots of acne in non-standard places (cheekbones). That was second trimester, though.

#8 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

I don't know. The only differences I consistently remember between my last two pregnancies was that when I was pg with a girl, my skin got dry and I had no zits, but with a boy, I got lots of acne in non-standard places (cheekbones). That was second trimester, though.

Interesting... My skin has cleared up during this pregnancy. I thought that was a boy symptom, but maybe not. It's still the first trimester though. 

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#9 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

Interesting... My skin has cleared up during this pregnancy. I thought that was a boy symptom, but maybe not. It's still the first trimester though. 

For me, my acne was always on my chin, which is a hormonal site for women. With ds3 (don't remember ds1 or ds2), starting at 4 months I got ouchy cheekbone zits, and I had never had those before ever.

#10 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only have more anecdotal bits. My pregnancies with my sons was way more intense. Nausea and vomiting from week until until the day of birth, intense hormonal swings, major fatigue, and SPD. I did not find out sex with our third. I didn't need a tech to tell me it was a boy smile.gif

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#11 of 13 Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM

I would love to have that be the case (able to tell by differences in pregnancies). This is my third pregnancy and they have all been very different. Oh well.

DS1- no morning sickness or food aversions/cravings at all.  DS2- no vomiting, but light nausea all day long, every day for the whole pregnancy.  This little one- we aren't finding out the sex but the morning sickness was bad the first trimester.  I'm also carrying this little one crazily low, while both my boys sat much higher up. Keep hoping that means maybe a girl, but we'll see. The only thing they all have in common so far is heartburn.

Homeschooling,knit.gifmom to DS1 ('02) reading.gif, DS2 ('03) jog.gif, and  stork-suprise.gif in Aug '14. Now living in a very cold place cold.gifsaynovax.gif
#12 of 13 Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM

I have one of each. With my daughter I was constantly starving; with my son, I got awful stomachaches from sugar and felt lousy when I ate dairy. I also gained more weight and more boob size with her. (And I made it back to pre-pregnancy weight before getting pregnant with my son, so the not being as hungry can't be rationalized to that.)

I asked a coworker who has 3. I forget if she has two girls and one boy, or two boys and one girl. But she said all 3 pregnancies were different.

I tell you, though, if I do have another I'm going to be guessing the sex up front if it matches up to either of the sets of symptoms I already had. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#13 of 13 Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had 2 very different pregnancies and 2 boys.  I was so sure #2 was a girl because of the difference in symptoms and the 4 days between doing the deed and ovulating.  I'm swearing off guessing next time :P

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page