Magic ?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was wondering if any of you have superstitions or convictions about certain things you did that got you pregnant.

I am not a spiritual person, I have tried, but I tend to be very cerebral about everything.

Both times I got pregnant it happened when I was too busy to pay attention to my chart carefully.  Both times my ovulation occurred on what seemed to be a pretty random day.  Both times I was busy running around, being an unusual version of myself.

This time around DH and I went on a trip to far away islands we had been talking about for years and we are both convinced that the islands themselves did something about my getting pregnant.  We did not get to be intimate up there, but we did the night before our departure and I am pretty sure I ovulated the day we got there.

I know this sounds a little bit witchy, but I feel that sometimes it can be nice to tell myself stories about what he and I did right this time around, what was so different about it.

I hear stories all the time about parents in the process of adopting a child suddenly getting pregnant after years of TTC and finally giving up.  It might just be a lack of stress in the body.  That would be a more scientific explanation.

A friend of mine says his bed has powers because he and his wife figured they'd never had another kid, and then he built a new bed and they got a surprise pregnancy right away.

Does anyone else have stories like that?

#2 of 5 Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand trying to understand what you did right that made it work.  We tried for 7 years with this baby.  We did clomid, clomid with IUI, injectibles with IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF.  Nothing worked.  In fact, when we did the IVF's my eggs died when they were fertilized (I think around 20 in all).  So, we never even made it to the part where they transfer the embryo back to me.  We were told that I had bad eggs and that my only option was donor eggs.  Well, that was 2011.

Start off 2014, I declared it was going to be a great year!  Hubby and I had been working to make sure we were setting time aside for us, and making our marriage a priority.  We were not in a bad spot but due to jobs and he went back to school, we had not made it a priority.  We were in a really good spot.

Then hubby lost his job at the company he had been with for 14 years!  On his last day of work, I took a test because I just felt pregnant (I don't take tests anymore because I have gotten so many negatives and it hurts all over again).  I had not been charting so I was shocked when it came back positive.  Hubby has found a new job (making a LOT less but hey it is a job) and we are over the moon excited about this one.  I too have wondered, what did we do different?  I will probably never know!

Lynne (35) wife to DH (38) mom to DD (9) ** TTC # 2 since 7/07 ** m/c 6/23/10** 2 Failed IVF rounds... moving forward on adoption; Paperwork/home study complete, waiting on a birth mom to 'pick' us

joy.gif got a SURPRISE BFP EDD 11/17/14
#3 of 5 Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM

I love telling myself and others magical tales to explain things, but I do it winkingly. I don't actually believe most of them.

For us charting and getting pregnant by surprise it was actually a dramatic increase in stress that led me to lose track of my temps just long enough to make a mistake... Nothing mystical there!

But I think it's perfectly lovely to have a little family mythology, like the fertility bed/island and so on. Makes for good dinner table tales!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"Family mythology", exactly, that's what I meant.

DH and I have been together so long, hoping, and we've only gotten a BFP twice in ten years.

So I think we need something to believe in.  We are both atheists but hope to be kind, respectful humans who lead righteous lives despite our non-believing and making up a fable about how I got pregnant is a fun way to celebrate right now as we are still super cautious about this pregnancy.  We want it to stick.  We want a little kid bouncing around.

cynthiamoon likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't believe in God, but I sort of believe in fate. This baby wanted to come... I O'd a week early, had *one* possible time that it could have happened (a little more than a week before I expected O day).. I had been regular since getting AF back after my last pg, and had *no* signs of ovulation, at all. And I usually get every one of them. Anyway... maybe it took a little magic to get this new little one in our family, because there was no way I was going to consent to it for at least a few more years, if ever. ;)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page