Baby Name Penelope; Popular or Trendy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Baby Name Penelope; Popular or Trendy?

DH and I haven't found a baby name that really "clicked" for us this pregnancy, if baby should be a girl. We'll be waiting until after birth to pick a name for sure, mostly since we are on team green this go-round. For a boy I think we'll almost certainly go with Arthur (don't need any negative opinions on this one, please ) if baby is a boy, but for a girl... eh. We've had a list of names but none feel quite right. Then today I thought of Penelope and we both love it! Our 7 year old DD is Clementine and DS is Malcolm, so I feel like Penelope would go really well. But then I looked at the charts and it seems like it's rising REALLY fast. Which concerns me. I like it enough that I would break my "No top 100" rule, but I don't want a trendy name, which I feel like is different than a popular name, you know?

Other girl names we have considered, some more than others, are Evangeline, Tabitha, Rosemary, Daisy, June, Marisol and Adelaide. I like them, but they don't feel quite right. We'll probably go with a family name as a middle name, although I think Penelope Pearl sounds really great. But then... PP. Hmm.

What do you think about Penelope? Trendy or timeless? Going to be in the top 10 next year? I don't want to be one of those people saying, "We just didn't realize how popular it was!" I grew up with a fairly unique name, and I always really appreciated that. Hated that people always think I'm a boy, though. (My name is Jordan).

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I don't think it's going to be in the top 10. It's currently 56. That is a lot higher than Clementine, for sure. But I don't see it being Sophia, for example. Anyway, it definitely is popular and trendy, so only you can decide if you can live with that. If you do use it, definitely not PP as initials. That's too easy to mock.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I like the name Penelope. I have a friend around my age with that name. She goes by Penny. I didn't realize it was becoming so popular. Is there a popular character with that name or something? I looked it up and it is rising fast! My own name is dropping. It just got out of the top 100. Lucky me. I understand not wanting to use a trendy name. That's a tough one. We picked a name that's around 200 and not moving up quickly, but I didn't know you could find that information before we picked the name. I know one other baby born a few weeks before my son with the same name so far. What mattered most to us was that we liked the name and it sounded like a good name for a good person. I think it suits him very well.
I would like to hear if other people know a lot of little Penelope's.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks for the input! I do love the name. I just don't want it to feel dated in the way some trendy names (a lovely name that has a "trendy" flavor to me is Violet. I've met dozens of under 5 Violets) can. Hmm. I'd definitely like input on if there's lots of little Penelopes running around.

We like the nickname Penny, too. I love the name Ginny, and would love to use it, but I don't like any of the long versions (Virginia or Ginerva). I thought Evangeline could be shortened to Ginny with only a small stretch, but DH doesn't agree. Man, naming people is tricky.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughters name is Penelope. I have heard of 2 others with that name, both born around the same time (She is 3.5). Almost everyone I talk to that hears her name for the first time is surprised or thinks it is unique/not common. I don't know of any younger Penelope's though 56 is way higher than it was when we named her (I think it was high 100s or maybe low 200s when we researched it.
I say go for it (but I may be a little partial )

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My 8 year old had a girl in class named Penelope. It seems like it's catching on pretty fast, but it is a really great name!! Persephone is pretty close and probably not very popular

I understand your fear of having to defend your choice though; I named my guy Finn, and everyone gave me strange looks when he was a newborn. Now it seems to be the new Aiden. Oh well, I feel good in that I named him after Huckleberry, and most who heard his name before 2007 had never heard it before.

In the end, I say, do what feels right. Penelope is a beautiful name.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2finn View Post
My 8 year old had a girl in class named Penelope. It seems like it's catching on pretty fast, but it is a really great name!! Persephone is pretty close and probably not very popular

I understand your fear of having to defend your choice though; I named my guy Finn, and everyone gave me strange looks when he was a newborn. Now it seems to be the new Aiden. Oh well, I feel good in that I named him after Huckleberry, and most who heard his name before 2007 had never heard it before.

In the end, I say, do what feels right. Penelope is a beautiful name.
Persephone is a good alternative for Penelope. If it went from 200s to 56 in only a few years, that is a very very quick rise.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I like the name Ginny too. We gave our son a name that is a nickname basically. The name it is derived from is in the top 100, but his name is a little more unique because it is not the traditional version, it is just the nickname.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Penelope is a great name! But so is Persephone! If you did want a name that could use "Ginny" as a nickname, there's always Ginnifer. My cousin named her daughter that and always calls her Ginny. All fantastic names though.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Why not just Ginny on its own? It's a great name and nowadays lots of names that were traditionally short forms or nicknames are names in their own right (Charlie, Harry, etc, can't think of any girls' right now but I'm sure they're out there) just like names that used to only be family/last names - totally normal now. I know there are mixed opinions on this but I don't see any issue.

I also love Persephone and Penelope. Penelope is not at all common or popular where I live - but I'm outside the US.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
I love the name Ginny, and would love to use it, but I don't like any of the long versions (Virginia or Ginerva). I thought Evangeline could be shortened to Ginny with only a small stretch, but DH doesn't agree. Man, naming people is tricky.
Ginny can be short for Ginevra, which is the origin of the names Jennifer and Genevieve, but is also the origin of the name Juniper. I happen to love the name Juniper, and I think Ginny would be a great nickname for it!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's name is Evangeline. It was really hard for people at first, but I still love it. Our immediate family doesn't shorten it at all, but extended family calls her Evie or Bean (because when she learned to say her name, she called herself Evangebean.) I just had another baby (a boy), but when I learned I was pregnant, before I learned it was a boy, Penelope was the girl's name we picked. I didn't realize how popular it was getting. I don't know any kids (or anybody for that matter) by the name of Penelope and I still think it's a beautiful name, so I don't think I would have regretted our decision. (Interestingly, Clementine has always been a top contender for us, so we have similar tastes.)

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com

User Tag List