Should I potty train and get big-girl bed for 2.5 year old before baby sister comes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Should I potty train and get big-girl bed for 2.5 year old before baby sister comes?

I'm due with baby girl #2 in 2 months. I don't really feel ready to potty train my 2.5 year old or transition to a big girl bed, but is it really the best thing to do before next baby comes? I have been feeling horrible this pregnancy. Very bad allergies and now have been sick on top of that with a very bad cold/flu for the past 2 weeks. My 2.5 year old has also been sick. So, needless to say, I have not been motivated to do new things.
My plan for next baby girl is to have her co-sleep for the first 6 months or so. I'm not strict on that time period, so I was thinking I could just keep my toddler in her crib during that time. Eventually baby girl will move into her crib around 8-10 months. (That's what I did with my first girl and it worked out well, so I'm thinking I'll do the same with 2nd.)
Is it harder to potty train and move to bigger bed when you have a newborn?
I'm honestly feeling so poorly that I just don't even want to deal with it, but I also don't want to regret it, if I could potty train her before baby comes. I'm just not confident about it, since I've never done it. I'm afraid she's not ready and I'll just waste all this time and energy trying to force something. If I felt great and had energy to do it, then sure, I'd go right ahead.
#2 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
IMO- don't push it. Kids often regress some on potty training with a new sibling. I'm pregnant with #2 , DD is almost 3 and no interest in potty. We use cloth, so $$ isn't really an issue and I think it's easier to diaper than to get a toddler quickly to a bathroom out in public, so I'm in no hurry. For right now I'm totally waiting on her to show she's ready.
#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I agree, I wouldn't rush. My DD1 was 2.5yo when DD2 was born. I actually found it easier to have her still in nappies - no urgent rushes to the loo when I was feeding the baby.

Same with the cot. If you don't need it for the baby I see no reason to push her into a transition she's not ready for. IME she will need every bit of security and familiarity she can get once the baby is born.
#4 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're due in December and we'll be moving our 2 year old to a big girl bed as soon as we move into our new house. Our thought on this is primarily that I don't want her feeling "kicked out" of her crib when the new baby arrives, even if it takes us 6 months to transition the baby to the crib. I'd like her to have a least six months of sleeping in her new bed and feeling comfortable before the baby arrives, so she doesn't associate the baby with disruption of her personal space. We won't be pushing potty training because she's not ready and we use cloth, so it's just a few more diapers to wash in the end.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#5 of 5 Old 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We set up DS's big boy room while I was pregnant with DD, but gave him the option every night on where he wanted to sleep. He eventually decided to sleep in his big boy room, and I did not have to stress. I opted to wait to potty train until after DD was born, it was easier.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page