Soy intake During PG - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-24-2002, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your helpful posts. I recently have increased my soy consumption to increase my protein intake. Though I probably have a serving daily to every other day. I had considered buying the whey protein as a protein drink but my first son actually had incredible dairy/whey/lactose sensitivity as a baby and I had to take out almost all dairy for the first five months that he breastfed. I didn't want to overconsume on the dairy end and cause more problems with this little one's digestive system. I guess again the emphasis needs to be on "Everything in Moderation!"
#32 of 43 Old 07-08-2002, 07:57 PM

I wish I would have read this and posted sooner...it seems like I always post when things are winding down.
My son was born with hypospadias and I rarely ate/drank soy and didn't take iron. Since we are meat eaters, soy has never made up a big part of our diet. Although with this pregnancy I have been making smoothies with soy protien powder to up my protien intake. Already our chances of having another boy born with hypospadias are somewhere around 30 percent. I see my midwife day after tomorrow, I'll talk to her about this. I had never heard the soy correlation, just the environmental ones. Thanks for the info!

Mommystormraven, have you had any personal experience with hypospadias yourself? I would love to share my hypospadias experience and hear others...I've never met anyone else who's been through it. Although there are a few moms here that have shared their experiences.

Also, I am glad that this is in the I'm pregnant forum. I had never heard of hypospadias before my son was born and it made it difficult to understand whether or not to believe everything the doctors tell you. If you're informed about it at least you will know that you have options outside of what the medical world tells you needs to be done.
#33 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 08:59 PM

Call me a rebel - or another doubting 'Thomasina' - but even after reading this, I don't plan on eliminating soy from my diet...

I *have* read that some soy products contain phyto-oestrogen ... but do ALL? I'm not sure - I guess I'll have to do some more research on that ... What if you're buying organic soy products?

I'm also curious what has changed in the last 2 years [since that article was printed]?

There just seems to be far more evidence that a vegetarian diet IS the healthiest diet - including the soy products... and the the benefits far outweigh the risks.

I was recently speaking with a pediatrician regarding soy intake during pregancy - albeit as related to soy allergies - ultimately, he assured me that there were far more concerns with dairy products - as well as dairy products consumed while breastfeeding and consumed by children - causing allergies, ear infections, etc.

I do know that geographically, there are different concerns - i.e., in the UK, they recommend that women avoid eating peanuts during pregancy b/c of the high rate of peanut allergies there - this isn't the case in the US... We are encouraged to eat nuts as a source of protein. A couple of these articles are from NZ ... and I'm not familiar with 'The Dominion'

Also - a fellow meat-eater [SIL] was telling me that the same issues exist with a meat-eating diet b/c cattle fed the same hormones - she was talking about early menstruation, etc.

SO - If I have a choice - I'll choose the soy over beef, no question.

I would also be *sure* that rice milk is a good alternative to diary OR soy for a toddler... before making a quick switch - but that's just me.

All this aside - I do agree that this is an important issue and we should continue to be on top of it and encourage the manufacturers to create more *pure* foods.

#34 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I *have* read that some soy products contain phyto-oestrogen ... but do ALL? I'm not sure - I guess I'll have to do some more research on that ... What if you're buying organic soy products?
Let me clarify this... Soy does NOT contain a phytoestrogen it IS a phytoestrogen.

As for beef I buy free range, certified vegetarian fed, NON-GMO beef products, and I usually eat Free range buffalo or ostritch so the GMO and hormones are NOT an issue for me becuase they arent' in the meat.

As far as organic soy - yes, it is better but not in that it isn't a phytoestrogen it is better becuase it is grown using non-pesticide modified seed and it isnt' sprayed with anythign toxic to you.

BTW I never said that soy should be *eliminated* from your diet, I just said that caution should be excercised in its use while you are PG or nursing - everythign in moderation is my philosophy. After all, we never know how this will effect the future generations we bear.
#35 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 09:30 PM

Edited to clarify;

A quote from the article you posted:

Quote:
Phyto-oestrogens are natural chemicals found in plants which have properties similar to oestrogen
So, they are saying that the hormone exists IN the Soybean plant.

Soybeans are not hormones... they are still plants.
#36 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 09:48 PM

Just to add - I'll still choose a 'naturally occuring' plant hormone in my diet over beef or dairy treated with hormones...
#37 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Precisely why I don't eat anythign treated with hormones - beef, dairy or plants that have hormones in them.

We eat all organinc non-gmo foods - no hormones anywhere.
#38 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 10:23 PM

If you are eating any plants, even organic ones, you are consuming phyto-estrogens...
#39 of 43 Old 07-09-2002, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

And I don't eat vegetables for the most part - the most I ever eat is lettuce - tomatoes are fruits and the fruits do not contain enough of any estrogenic compound to be considered. Lets not make this a battle ground for "my opinion is more right than yours" It isn't I simply think that it is important to have the info available as many peopel are unaware that there is ANY risk at all in soy. Soy simply contains a greater amount of phytoestrogen than other plants and is thereforethe largest contributor to the problem. I don't tell you how to eat Zippity, don't tell me how I should.

I presented the info, gave the links in hopes that it would make people aware of some of the risks invloved in a high intake of soy durign a pregnancy or while nursing.

And if you will read my post clearly - I said atht I don't buy anythign TREATED with hormones not that I dont' eat anythign with hormones, I simply choose to eat those that ioccur naturally and in SMALL amounts not plants that the larger part of the chemical make up is a hormone.

You will have to forgive me if I do not remember the exact context of the articles I posted, my family and I have been through a great deal since that information was posted and I'm currently on anti depressents as a result so my memory is a bit hazy (look at my signature line and maybe you will understand why Zippity .
#40 of 43 Old 07-10-2002, 12:13 AM

Wow - I didn't think there was any battling going on - I simply felt it necessary to clarify things... I would never tell anyone how to eat - I certainly never said anyone *should* eat one thing or the other! Sorry if you read it that way.

I just didn't want any vegetarians to get suddenly alarmed... I personally need some more evidence for *me* to make any dietary changes.

As an open forum, I was only trying to challenge a few concepts - I think you have to do that just a little before making any hasty decisions regarding something as important as nutrition during pregnancy. I *hope* we can all continue to do that here...?

Anyway - didn't mean to upset anyone... and as I said before,

'All this aside - I do agree that this is an important issue and we should continue to be on top of it and encourage the manufacturers to create more *pure* foods.'

Take care! ~Zip
#41 of 43 Old 07-10-2002, 08:09 AM

Thankyou for this post. It has answered a nagging question from my pregnancy about why I suddenly became nauseated at the sight of tofu or soymilk. This is from a tofu and soy milk addict! I did understand instinctively that this must have been my body turning me off something that might harm the baby but I really couldn't understand why as everything I had read talked about the virtues of soy. Wow! Enlightenment...wise body, hey.

Now I have a real problem - my 2 year old son can't digest cow's milk (within 15 mins of digestion gets a blocked and yet runny nose and starts crying unhappily)
We had just started cutting down on soy funnily enough as he had developed a strange rash and has been displaying some other allergic reactions and we were trying to find the source. He has been hitting the soy milk, yoghurt and tofu many times a day from 12 months.(as well as bf)

What can I give him instead? Is fortified rice milk enough?And how do I eliminate the harm already done?

Help! Answers would be appreciated - I'm worried now....
#42 of 43 Old 07-10-2002, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I would go with the rice milk. SOmone on the thread posted a recipe for homemade almond milk too, I would try that as well. As far as damage already done. I think you have caught yourself early enough so as not to have caused much damage. At least you are aware now that it isn't all it's cracked up to be! Better a little late than not at alll!
#43 of 43 Old 07-16-2002, 03:51 PM

Rice milk has a higher potential to cause allergic reactions in infants than soy milk. It also contains less protein. Soy milk has been consistently found to have the lowest allergic potential for infants.

Quote from a medical study:

"Laboratory animals were hyperimmunized with casein, whey, rice protein, rice bran protein, pea protein, oat protein, or soy protein. Immune sera were collected and antibodies to the immunizing proteins were quantitated by using sensitive, antigen-specific ELISA methods. Preimmunization antibody titers were also determined as controls for the immunization process and ELISA specificity. Data were expressed as log immune response (IR; [log day 35 titer] - [log day 0 titer]). Geometric mean IR values for the immunogens were compared by ANOVA; this analysis indicates that the proteins fall into three statistically distinct reactivity categories. Cow milk proteins are highly reactive: casein IR was 4.49 and whey IR was 4.46. Rice, rice bran, and pea proteins showed the same intermediate reactivities: IRs were 3.99, 3.96, and 3.63, respectively. Oat and soy proteins were least reactive and not different from each other: IRs were 2.71 and 2.22, respectively. IR os a hypoallergenic casein hydrolysate was 1.28."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page