positive antibody screening - Need info - please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a call from my midwife, it appears that I tested positive for a rare blood antibody (not related to Rh factor, I'm Rh+). Does anyone know anything about the anti-FYa or anti-duffy antibody? I've been trying to find answers to what they do, but other than Rh factor, they list all the other antibodies together in one group in most places. I'm not clear what the risks/treatments are for this specific one, but for some of them they suggest amniocentesis and fetal transfusions. Yuck! but I don't want the baby to die either. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#2 of 3 Old 05-07-2004, 07:38 PM

I googled "anti-fya" and found some basic information about it. Basically, it is similar to a Rhesus antibody sensitivity because it can cause hemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN). This causes the growing baby's red blood cells to die and can build up bilirubin in their blood which they are unable to excrete from their environment (it ends up in the amniotic fluid) and it can also cause the spleen, liver and heart to become enlarged. Although it is directed at Rh factor HDN, this page has some very good information about HDN. It doesn't give any percentage risk or percentage associations of anti-fya antibody presence and actual cases of HDN, and you'll probably need to do more research to determine if there is any research in this area. Even this kind of data is questionable and you will probably come up with all ranges of numbers.

Although amniocentesis is mentioned as a screening tool to help watch for the development of HDN in a growing baby, I share your hesitancy in using it. It does carry a higher risk of danger to the baby, and I would not consent to it lightly. Higher level ultrasound seems to be quite effective in monitoring for organ enlargement that is associated with HDN, and since it is considerably less invasive than amniocentesis I would probably agree to more frequent scans. I would highly recommend you find a perinatalogist who is willing to work with you and your chosen care provider to develop a flexible care plan and provide you with all appropriate research so you can make informed choices about your and your baby's care.

sending you peaceful vibes...

warmly,
claudia
#3 of 3 Old 05-10-2004, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. I was really hoping a midwife was lurking out there who could tell me a little bit more than I was able to "google".

DH's blood results should be in this afternoon and we'll know more about what we're looking at.

Thanks again for sharing the info and for your support!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page