Hospital Water Birth - What do I need to know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hospital Water Birth - What do I need to know?

I am planning to do a water birth at a hospital in their birthing tub. This is my 2nd baby. The first baby I birthed laying flat on my back with the nurse/OB telling me when/how to push, etc, so this will be a very different experience. I'm with a midwife at the hospital now and she said they won't really be able to monitor in the tub, since obviously they can't see under the water, so I'm a little nervous about it.
Does anyone have any tips for water birth? What do I need to know? Is there a resource which talks about exactly how to birth in water as opposed to laying on a bed?
#2 of 3 Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
In the hospital I used for my DS, you were allowed to use the tub to labor in but not to deliver in. I love the tub! It was great relief when the contractions were strong. I suggest waiting till you 'need' the tub to get in. Also, they were able to hook me to monitors because they are water proof, unfortunately. I can't stand those things!
#3 of 3 Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I labored in the tub but didn't deliver in it with my daughter. Our hospital had waterproof fetal monitoring strips, which I was required to use because my daughter was posterior and her heartrate was really erratic throughout labor. I pretty much labored on hands and knees in the tub. You just find the most comfortable position and go with that. As the PP said, water can slow down progression, so you want to use it sparingly early and get in when you really need the break. I was in and out of the tub for most of labor and then stayed in through transition when it was really really tough. So if your midwives can't monitor while you're in the tub, they shouldn't have a problem monitoring you periodically when you get out.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page