Yet another problem; can't deal anymore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Unhappy Yet another problem; can't deal anymore

We had our anatomy U/S at 19 weeks, and they said that baby looks great, except for having a two-vessel cord. They said that it can be associated with defects, but since we had an amnio, we know our baby does not have any. They said we just needed one more U/S to check growth at 32 weeks, and that we could still have a birth center birth, but when I look online, I see conflicting results. Some studies say that there are no more problems with this, but other studies say that you should have lots of U/S and NST.

Honestly, we have had so many scares with this baby that I am just ready to go to a hospital to deliver and get the EFM. I had two fine hospital births, two fine home births, and I don't think that there is anything they could do to screw up my labor at this point. I find the idea of EFM reassuring and kind of want to just switch to the high-risk OBs at this point and forget about the midwives and FSBC.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

Last edited by Galatea; 07-23-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
A friend of mine had this with one of her triplets. They did a level 2 ultrasound to check his heart and everything looked good. He was born 6 weeks early simply because he was a triplet but everything went fine. He was the smallest baby, but he was the first to go home from the NICU and the first to crawl, walk, etc. He didn't seem to have any negative effects from it except for being smaller in utero and at birth. You should do whatever makes you feel reassured and safe, but I thought hearing a good story would help.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Thank you @pokeyac . I have seen lots of reassuring stories online, too, but some scary ones, too. I am going to call the high-risk docs back today and question them about only having one U/S to check for growth.

I think my real problem is that we have had nothing but terrible scares this whole pregnancy. First it was the RE telling me I would have a miscarriage over Easter weekend. I begged for help and got progesterone and it didn't happen, but the progesterone made me terribly sick for two months. Then I found out I was in thyroid failure and have to take medicine forever. Then it was being told that our baby would be severely disabled, and living with that for 10 days, until they told us that result was wrong and baby was fine. All this time I was still really sick and exhausted. I finally started to feel human again at 19 weeks, and then they told me about the cord issue.

This baby is a bonus baby. We did it on purpose, but our youngest is almost four, long out of diapers, all the others are in school FT. DH started a new business and works crazy hours, and we need more money so I should really be working for pay, but here I am, having this baby, and being constantly emotionally jerked back and forth. It's making me uncharacteristically bitter and self-pitying.

So yeah... back to where to have the baby. My city has a big fight between the main hospital system and the main insurer, and what it means for me is that I can use the FSBC, but I cannot use the same CNMs at the hospital. That sucks, because that would be my main choice, but it's impossible. I really just like the security of the EFM given the cord problem, and honestly, my last child's home birth was painful enough that I have fear about that, too. So if I want to be at a hospital, I can only see an OB. But then I feel weird about that, too. DH worries that they will cut me, and I worry about hospital bacteria, and I just worry, period.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm so sorry this pregnancy has been such an emotional and physical roller coaster for you! That sounds very difficult to deal with on top of everything else in your life. If being in a hospital with monitoring makes you feel safer then so be it. Home birth is awesome but it's not right for every situation. Hospitals have issues but they are there for high-risk situations where they can truly save lives. Maybe having a doula would help in terms of giving you an experience more like an out-of-hospital birth and with helping you avoid a c-section. If it were me, I would find out what I can about the hospital and the OB's. What is their c/s rate? What are their standard practices for births? Would you know the OB ahead of time or will you just get whoever is on call? Sometimes having more knowledge can be comforting.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List