Vegan morning sickness...I can't manage beans! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Vegan morning sickness...I can't manage beans!

I've been joyfully vegan for years now - although in the past few months I've had to add eggs back due to a food sensitivity elimination diet that left me with almost nothing to eat. I lost so much weight that I'm still eating eggs now to try to help get it back. So I guess I'm not technically vegan anymore, which is a real bummer for me.

The bigger bummer is that ever since I got pregnant I can't seem to eat beans. Tofu is OK, but even sprouted lentils make me bloat up like a balloon and feel terribly uncomfortable - and the gas pain makes my morning sickness just feel worse. Beans have always bloated me to a degree, but it's way worse now.

So I have two questions:

1. I know bloating is a common first trimester symptom. Does it really go away for the rest of the pregnancy, or am I doomed to be this uncomfortable (or have to find an alternative to beans) for months?

2. I've never tried beano. Has anyone used it during pregnancy, and did you find that it worked?

I really don't want to be stuck eating tofu all the time, although I'm not concerned about a serving a day, which is what I'm sticking to for now. And of course eggs are a good source of protein, but I already eat them daily - sometimes twice a day - and that's more than enough for me. I don't think I can add meat. It doesn't sound good to me at all right now. If anyone has any advice, I'd love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm sorry! I was vegan at the start of my last pregnancy and needed to give it up. I find that full-fat cottage cheese (small curd, I have a favorite brand as many brands are sort of gross) really helps me in the morning when I tend to get nauseous. A little honey on top and I'm good to go.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#3 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I can't speak as a Vegan, or even a Vegetarian. I can tell you that until my body got used to eating beans I did use Beano & it did work. That wasn't during pregnancy. I don't *think* Beano was on the list of "don't take" though?

Regarding timing of symptoms. I always thought if you didn't get morning sickness (the vomiting kind) during 1st tri that you wouldn't get it. I was just proved wrong. So, maybe the symptoms will go away and maybe not. Every woman is different & even every pregnancy. Sorry

You are looking for high protein, right? Maybe try thinking in terms of snacks rather than meals? I'm about to try almond butter on a tortilla. Is that something you can eat? I've read that almonds & pistachios are higher in protein than other nuts. Pumpkin seeds. Hummus? Almond butter & banana on a rice cracker?

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi neonalee! I am indeed looking for high protein foods because they keep my blood sugar regulated much better, and I've found that low blood sugar is my #1 cause of nausea. Even if I just ate an hour ago. Something is stealing all of the sugar from my blood, I think, and it's the size of a tiny bean!

Thanks for reminding me about almond butter. I have always had trouble tolerating nut butters (I have a million GI issues), but I have been devouring almonds like they're going out of style. They are instantly soothing on my stomach these days. I've never tried almond butter before. Maybe it will be different for me since almonds are going down so well!

This is a great tip!
#5 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How about sprouting those lentils....or beans in general. Maybe adding a little acv to the first soak would help, too. You could also try digestive enzymes. I can't eat many beans either....I hardly ever eat them actually, and have been vegan for a couple of years now. Mainly because I feel my body just can't handle them. But a good hummus is oh! so good

I did a big elimination diet a few years back that had me in your boat, mama. I stuck it out, and in the end it really made me (and my nursing babe at the time) so much happier and healthier. I am pregnant again now, and have had little to no nausea or tummy issues....and I mainly attribute it to finding out all the stuff my body doesn't jive with and eliminating it.

Good luck....and make sure to sprout all your nuts and beans

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#6 of 9 Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Oh how I wish sprouted lentils worked! But unfortunately even those bloat me up for days. It's wild.

The elimination diet was a big success for me until I got pregnant. I only finished it up a month before we conceived, too, so I only had a short while of feeling absolutely great AND being able to eat most foods again before the big downward spiral began! I've been avoiding my trigger foods, but for the most part I still feel back to where I was before the diet - only worse, because now there's nausea!

I know "this too shall pass," but man. Beans??? And for the past couple days it's been tough to eat eggs, too...this baby may ultimately be made of blueberries, because that's about all I like.
#7 of 9 Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
LOL blueberries are my #1 favorite right now. I also ate an entire cantaloupe for breakfast!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#8 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Beano totally works. It's just enzymes - can't hurt baby. You can always find a cheaper generic version, too. I take 3 for a bean meal, 2 for Italian.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
lol.....That totally brought back a Willy Wonka flashback

Gosh, I've been totally mono-dieting too until this pass week. All I could stand to eat were cucumbers. Then watermelon. I could chew some raw herbs/greens from the garden....but the thought of a mixed salad made me make the stinky fish face! So weird....it's slowly passing now, thank goodness.

Maybe try doing a water enema. Hopefully it just won't last much longer! Lovely lovely first trimester symptoms....nak.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page