Naming Conundrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Naming Conundrum

My DH and I love the name Ira for the baby. The only hitch is that I know someone named Ira. We went to high school together and are "friends" on facebook although I haven't seen him since high school (15 years!!!). I do have some old friends in my life that know both Ira and myself. There is a small chance I could see him at my 20 year reunion. He might see that we had a baby named Ira on facebook. (Although I could unfriend him and I highly doubt he would notice)
But it is the only name that we both really, really love.
Would you use it? Or leave it because it might look weird. (I did have a very small crush on him in high school, but always loved his name.)
#2 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I know peolpe who have given their children my name, or my husband's name, and it is not weird. Our names are more common than Ira, but Ira is gaining in popularity right now. I think you shouldn't worry about it.
#3 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about that. The only time I shy away from using a name is if it is a close relative or someone that is regularly involved in my life. This person isn't significant to your life so I'd feel more than free to use the name. If that's the name you love and your dh agrees it's great then I'd say you have a baby name picked out!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 9 Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I also wouldn't worry about it, or even bother un friending him.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
To my mind it's not a problem! i would not bother and give my child this name. If you both like name Ira so much who cares what other people think?;-)
#6 of 9 Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I don't see why it's an issue. I wouldn't assume anyone who gave their baby my name was naming it after me (though my name is (or was) more common than Ira). And even if he thought so... not a big deal, to me. I think if you love the name, go for it!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#7 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I agree with everyone. One of the ladies in one of my homeschool co-ops just told us recently that she's naming her baby a version of my name, and I was just flattered that knowing me didn't disuade her from using the name. I didn't think I had anything to do with her choice. To me, the only time knowing someone with a name you like for your baby is an issue is if that person makes you think twice about the name because of a negative connotation. I named my DS1 Nathan, and I thought briefly about an old friend from my childhood named Nathan. We still keep up through our families, and it wasn't any kind of issue about having the same name, becuase I hadn't seen him in years. It's just a name. He doesn't own it. Go for it & name your kid what you want.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#8 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree. We are having a girl but the boy name we had settled on before we found out the gender was exactly the same situation as yours. An old friend/acquaintance with some mutual friends still in touch, friends on facebook, haven't seen each other in years, etc. I did have similar concerns as it's an equally unusual name but we had decided to go for it and will use it if the opportunity presents itself. In the grand scheme of things it probably won't come up at all and if it did it would be a one time no big deal thing so don't give up a name you both love and agree on. That's a precious gem in my experience 😉.
#9 of 9 Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
A Facebook friend from high school actually e-mailed me a few months before her daughter was born and asked how I liked my name. She mostly wanted my thoughts on weird nicknames or things that might have come up. I told her I loved it and she ended up naming her daughter the same name. I never thought she was naming the child after me in any way shape or form and I was glad I could help her think through the naming process with 33 years of personal experience. If you still feel weird about it, I think that approach -- messaging and asking him how he liked being an "Ira" -- might be the ideal solution. It makes it clear that you're not naming the kid after him but also sort of clears the air.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page