Looking for insight into progesterone shots to prevent pPROM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Looking for insight into progesterone shots to prevent pPROM

My OB wants me to come in weekly for progesterone shots starting at 17 weeks, given my age (41) and the fact that I delivered my son at 35 weeks 3 years ago (at age 38) due to preterm/premature rupture of membranes.

I trust my doctor, but am interested in hearing about the experiences of others in similar circumstances. What can I expect? Are there specific questions I should ask, or side effects to anticipate?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting the shots for a similar reason.
My understanding is that there is good evidence that they help stave off preterm labor for other reasons and that there are minimal side effects; so even though there isn't a lot of research in using them to prevent pprom in particular the risks are minimal compared to benefits.

The risks are irritation at the injection site and fatigue, I believe. I am not sure if I am having any fatigue from the shot, or just being pregnant...
But, the irritation at the injection; boy did I have that!!
The first week I had no reaction, the shot itself stings a bit more than most other shots, but no big deal.
The second week it periodically felt like a bee sting a few times in the 24 hrs after the shot.
The 3-4th week it itched like crazy and one of them a huge bump, like a 6 inch mosquito bite came up. Somehow this sensitized me so every other spot I'd had the shot itched and was irritated.

I learned that compounding pharmacies can use 2 different oils, so if you are having a bad reaction they can maybe switch what carrier oil they use (I don't recall what the oils were.)

I did a lot of research to figure out how to lessen the reaction and tried a lot of these solutions, and whatever is working seems to be helping a lot:
-internal benadryl about an hour before the shot
-having the nurse hold it in her hands to warm up the oil before the shot (the oil is very viscous, and can take a long time to be absorbed if not warm)
-vigorously rubbing the injection site after the shot to help the oil be absorbed
-having the nurse wipe down the injection site after the injection with alcohol (I think this is what's helping me, I read some other women having a problem with the oil being on their skin, for some reason that causes a localized allergic reaction.)

Since I've started doing these things I've barely noticed the shot, maybe slight irritation for the first 12 hours or so, but not enough that it even really bothers me, more like a bug bite or something.

The office I go to had never heard of anyone having a problem with these injections, but they have been happy to accommodate my requests, so it works for me.

Hopefully they won't bother you any more than getting a shot.

Here's to a long pregnancy!!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks so much! Great inside information , and it's nice to hear someone confident about the advantages. I go get my first shot in about an hour & a half...then only 18 more to go happy baby-growing!

User Tag List