Any Cyclist Mamas Around?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Any Cyclist Mamas Around??

Hey ladies...

Wondering if there are any cycling mamas expecting babes...or have ridden throughout pregnancy?

I've been consistently road biking (mtb occasionally) for almost two years now...and it has been phenomenal! We recently moved to an uber-bike friendly town, and I haven't used my car in months....which is GREAT considering I have a a giant hunk of suv in my driveway, and I am really enjoying the incredible overall health benefits of cycling everyday.

Anyway...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience riding throughout pregnancy and would like to share stories, or tips. This will be my first active pregnancy at all for that matter....so I am stoked to still feel great about it at almost 11 weeks.

Any riders with bumps out there?

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Me, me, me!!!! Although I'm not currently pregnant, DS is 10 weeks old. I rode through DD's pregnancy 2 yrs ago, road, mountain and then my trainer from 33 weeks on. With DS's pregnancy, I only rode my road bike, mostly due to scheduling/babysitting challenges- ie, I can hop on my road bike out my front door vs driving to the trail head to Mtn bike. I had to stop at 34 weeks (all activity, boy that sucked) bc of concerns about my bp, but I was more confident this pregnancy and went on two to four 10-30 miles rides per week. Early on, I pulled DD in the chariot trailer, but only until about 16-ish weeks.
My only issues were needing to adjust my geometry of my bike as my belly grew. With DD's preg. I had just gotten a very expensive bike fit & didn't want to mess that up, so I just started riding the trainer so I could pedal while sitting up. With DS, I was over the bike fit, so I had DH switch my stem out for a longer one & raise my handlebars up to accommodate my belly, this helped immensely. I really never felt awkward or weird on my bikes, but did stop Mtn biking at about 20 weeks with DD, mostly because I have a tendency to wreck frequently!! I just made sure that I got out often to ensure that I gradually got used to my changing shape. My biggest issue was finding clothes that fit. I found a great pair of shebeest shorts with a wide, flat waistband that were so comfortable & wound up wearing a belly band under my jersey to fill in the space as my jersey got too short. One of my favorite bloggers also just completed an active cycling pregnancy & she has some great tips. www.pedaladventures.com (used to be velomom.com).
Hope this helps & happy riding!! Both kiddos were born healthy 6#10 oz (DS) and 6# 14 oz (DD) & I think riding helped make pushing those babies out much easier!

User Tag List