Nabothian or Bartholin Cyst - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Nabothian or Bartholin Cyst

My husband recently discovered a lump on my clitoris. It looks like I'm growing a 2nd clitoris. I checked with my midwife, and by sight she identified it as a Nabothian cyst. I mentioned this to another midwife friend of mine, and she questioned whether the first midwife called it nabothian or bartholin. Either way, there is an obvious cyst on my clitoris.

I've been doing a little research on them, and can't find any information about their impact on pregnancy. Many have said that bartholin cysts get quite painful, and need to be lanced by an MD. I'm only 14 weeks along, so have time to correct this before the baby is born. If something needs to be done beforehand so that I may have a vaginal birth, I want to do all I can do.

Any of you women out there have experience with either nabothian or bartholin cysts, pregnant or not? Any and all information would be helpful and useful.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It doesn't sound like either to me, based on your description of the location. The bartholin glands are located just inside the vagina and narbothian cysts occur on the cervix. It may still be a cyst though. The first thing to do would be to get someone to confirm that.

Assuming it is a cyst; If it gets infected it would need to be drained. If it remains a simple cyst you probably won't need to do anything unless it grows large enough to be irritating or obstructs your urethra. It is possible that it may burst during birth due to pressure from the baby's head. This isn't likely to be a problem but it would be good to be aware so you can be extra careful with hygiene to avoid infection.

User Tag List