Watery red bleeding second trimester - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
That's a great update! Still scary since there are a lot of unknowns, but wonderful news. I hope you're resting comfortably at home surrounded by loved ones very very soon.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Oh. My. Goodness. If only you could travel back in time and decline all the genetic testing. You're pregnancy would have been stress free and smooth sailing.

I'm really really happy to hear the good news. I hope very much to read your birth story in December! And not a day sooner.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Oh. My. Goodness. If only you could travel back in time and decline all the genetic testing. You're pregnancy would have been stress free and smooth sailing.

I'm really really happy to hear the good news. I hope very much to read your birth story in December! And not a day sooner.
Yep. But I don't have a time machine. So I'm tabling that thought. We deal with what we are given, right? And there is no way to prove that it was the amnio.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
WOW! That's a great theory. And it totally fits and makes sense. And... the doc sounds confident that you can continue a somewhat normal pregnancy. An AFI of 14 is awesome!!! This baby girl is something special for sure!!!

The baby in my story looked like a true 24 week baby and was about a pound and a half in size. Miracle do happen-- that was one, and your pregnancy is totally going in my book as a miracle! When this baby is born, there will be much rejoicing from all of us on MDC!

RN, IBCLC. DS is 6, DD1 is 4, DD2 is 1! DD3 due in December!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

We are on the road now. Last night no fluid leaked, just some blood, but no one seemed to be concerned.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Finally reading this thread- So stressful! And on vacation! I can't imagine going to the hospital for all that testing and being told to go home and rest you are "fine" since they can't figure out what is wrong!! Umm, obviously this is not normal and the fluid is coming from somewhere, shouldn't we double check? I would be so frustrated with the medicos who said I was fine and sent me home leaking.

Glad it was figured out that it's amnio fluid. There are many many known cases of bags resealing, Chapsie is right, I've also heard of many cases in the homebirth community through the years. Vitamin C can be used not only to help with that process but also to prevent infection- and unlike antibiotics, it will not screw with your and baby's flora, white blood cell counts and immune system response. (I will look for the article about abx, I was just reading it yesterday or the day before, about antibiotics administered for group B strep/csec interfering with immune system development and response.) To use it as a prophylactic, you need a higher dose of C than normal, but it doesn't need to be up to bowel tolerance. Pure ascorbic acid is the best source for large doses used to prevent infection- it's cheaper than pills and no fillers- you can buy the powder at a healthfood store- it's affordable- it doesn't taste bad, just sour- you can mix it with a bit of baking soda if you are concerned about acidity- the important thing when using vitamin C as a preventative or treatment in infection is realizing that it is water soluble, and so you need multiple doses throughout the day, and if you wake up at night, to keep blood levels in the range you want. A single large dose is not effective, the half-life in the body is short. Vitamin C is also used up more quickly in the body when you are stressed, so taking alarger dose just for the stress you are going through is not a bad idea. No matter what you decide to do with antibiotics, vitamin C, or other treatments- declining all vaginal checks and not having anything in the vagina- no fingers and no penetrative sex until a couple weeks had passed with no leaking- will greatly reduce any risk of infection. Your cervix being high and tight is a great sign for the pregnancy continuing to term. I hope you can feel the connection you need with this baby to find peace in your situation. Having a theory (that makes sense!) as to why the leak is occurring and where it is located is reassuring as well. Blood, that is not reassuring- what do you think, is it cervical? I do see a lot of positives you can focus on as you move through the final weeks, but of course having the leaking stop ASAP would be the most reassuring thing! Wishing you freedom from and strength in coping with anxiety and fear, and hopes that you make it home ok. Please take the loving well wishes and any information that resonates with you, and leave the rest. ((Galatea))

~Alison
Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama27 View Post
Finally reading this thread- So stressful! And on vacation! I can't imagine going to the hospital for all that testing and being told to go home and rest you are "fine" since they can't figure out what is wrong!! Umm, obviously this is not normal and the fluid is coming from somewhere, shouldn't we double check? I would be so frustrated with the medicos who said I was fine and sent me home leaking.

Glad it was figured out that it's amnio fluid. There are many many known cases of bags resealing, Chapsie is right, I've also heard of many cases in the homebirth community through the years. Vitamin C can be used not only to help with that process but also to prevent infection- and unlike antibiotics, it will not screw with your and baby's flora, white blood cell counts and immune system response. (I will look for the article about abx, I was just reading it yesterday or the day before, about antibiotics administered for group B strep/csec interfering with immune system development and response.) To use it as a prophylactic, you need a higher dose of C than normal, but it doesn't need to be up to bowel tolerance. Pure ascorbic acid is the best source for large doses used to prevent infection- it's cheaper than pills and no fillers- you can buy the powder at a healthfood store- it's affordable- it doesn't taste bad, just sour- you can mix it with a bit of baking soda if you are concerned about acidity- the important thing when using vitamin C as a preventative or treatment in infection is realizing that it is water soluble, and so you need multiple doses throughout the day, and if you wake up at night, to keep blood levels in the range you want. A single large dose is not effective, the half-life in the body is short. Vitamin C is also used up more quickly in the body when you are stressed, so taking alarger dose just for the stress you are going through is not a bad idea. No matter what you decide to do with antibiotics, vitamin C, or other treatments- declining all vaginal checks and not having anything in the vagina- no fingers and no penetrative sex until a couple weeks had passed with no leaking- will greatly reduce any risk of infection. Your cervix being high and tight is a great sign for the pregnancy continuing to term. I hope you can feel the connection you need with this baby to find peace in your situation. Having a theory (that makes sense!) as to why the leak is occurring and where it is located is reassuring as well. Blood, that is not reassuring- what do you think, is it cervical? I do see a lot of positives you can focus on as you move through the final weeks, but of course having the leaking stop ASAP would be the most reassuring thing! Wishing you freedom from and strength in coping with anxiety and fear, and hopes that you make it home ok. Please take the loving well wishes and any information that resonates with you, and leave the rest. ((Galatea))

~Alison
I do need some vitamin c and zinc because I am also getting a cold.

I know they said no sex, but does that mean if I ever get to go home, no orgasms either?

The first doc missed the diagnosis bc the nitrazine was negative and she was a brand new resident. Apparently blood can make a false negative.

Right now having some bleeding when we stop to pee. More like a few loose clots. No fluid. But baby still moving about. Hope to be to home hospital in 2.5 hours.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Made it to home hospital! Now have to get all same tests again. Update later.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

In l and d triage. Decent amt blood. Fluid still good. Maybe a tiny tear in edge placenta on portable ultrasound. They said wont do steroids for lungs til Friday as Sunday is 24 weeks. Hopefully seeing nicu people tonight. Lots of "nature has to take its course."
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
galatea, I'm glad to hear you and your baby are okay so far.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM

continuing to pray. Thanks for the updates! I check back here frequently to see how you and baby are doing!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post
continuing to pray. Thanks for the updates! I check back here frequently to see how you and baby are doing!
We met the NICU doc. She says prognosis is grim but they will do what we want. They will assess baby at birth and if she tries to breathe, they will try to help her. The OB gave me the first of two steroid shots because it won't hurt anything. We said no c section at this point because it won't help the baby and will hurt me (would have to be classical incision and greater risk of hemorrhage, plus in closing me up I might miss the baby's only minutes alive.). The NICU doc said that at 23 weeks, only 20% live, and 80% of those have serious permanent problems. At 24 weeks, 40% live, and 25% have permanent problems. DH and I are having to decide right now what we would want done, and I just cannot see not giving her a chance. Like that patient you told about, @Chapsie , who said no efforts at 24 weeks, I couldn't do that. I understand why, but I don't know how to not try and hope.

This is all too horrible and I just want to get up and walk out and forget it all.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

Last edited by Galatea; 08-20-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm continuing to hope for the best for you and your baby, Galatea! sending love
Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Continuing to pray for you, hun. Follow yours and your husband's gut about what to do. I support whatever decision you two make. Also here for you if you need to talk about this. While our situation with Connor is not the same, we have been in something slightly similar. Never hesitate to message.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My thoughts are with you as you deal with this stress and I hope that you can have the best outcome possible. How are you doing today?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Waiting for breakfast, waiting to see high risk doctor.

Cried enough last evening to be worn out by midnight, so I just lay in bed and decided that I would tell myself that the baby is staying inside for four more weeks and that's that. I can't spend every minute of whatever time is left pre-grieving. No one knows what will happen.

Bleeding continues but not enough to upset any of the doctors or nurses. One of the docs is awful. She clearly has no kids and presents everything so grim and is loud and repeats herself and I cringe when she comes. I may get the guts to ask to not let her come in anymore. I'm guessing she is some kind of 3rd year resident or something.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM

I think it's really smart for you to request not to see that doctor anymore. I think you are handling this really well and I admire your attitude and positive determination. I am glad the bleeding is slowing down. I hope that you are able to eat well and rest now that your back near your home and family.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Sending lots of positive thoughts, @Galatea . I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is, but I think what you're doing makes so much sense. I would want to assume the best and definitely get rid of that doctor. If you can't do it, get someone else to do it for you. I had a nurse like that when my daughter was in the NICU and it was traumatizing.

Is there any indication that labor is imminent? Are they talking about induction? Is it the placental tear they're worried about? I just hope you and the babe can stick it out for a few more weeks. Just a few more. I'm going to assume with you that baby just stays put until 28 weeks, at least.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
Sending lots of positive thoughts, @Galatea . I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is, but I think what you're doing makes so much sense. I would want to assume the best and definitely get rid of that doctor. If you can't do it, get someone else to do it for you. I had a nurse like that when my daughter was in the NICU and it was traumatizing.

Is there any indication that labor is imminent? Are they talking about induction? Is it the placental tear they're worried about? I just hope you and the babe can stick it out for a few more weeks. Just a few more. I'm going to assume with you that baby just stays put until 28 weeks, at least.
I did tell my regular OBs that I didn't want that doc back and they said fine.

No one is inducing me period. I'm signed up for a c section unless baby turns vertex. Now I just wait until labor begins and hope that is far away from now. No more fluid leaking, and at least for the moment, bleeding much slower. They don't worry about a small tear on the edge. Frankly, they told me directly that it can be a mistake to put such a young baby on the monitors because then they would have to do something if they saw something, and it might be nothing, and baby would be unnecessarily even more premature.

Baby still kicking up a storm, so now I will hope she turns over and stays that way and bleeding truly stops.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Oh wow, how overwhelming Galatea. I'm grateful you and we all have this group to lean on for support. We are all here cheering for that baby girl to stay inside.

Though I've not been in the same situation, I've certainly been given terrible news about babies and pregnancies in the past. Lots and lots of grim prognoses with my first baby, but she turned out just fine. She was a very sick newborn who went through bowel reconstructive surgery at birth (after I'd gone into preterm labor 3 times, the first at 28 weeks). I was told she would die, but if she didn't she'd likely be mentally challenged, have a colostomy bag and all sorts of other problems. But you know what, she turned out fine. The surgery and hospitalization was of course horribly stressful, but she's 23 now and a normal happy young lady, very thankful she has no colostomy bag I'm sure. . I was also told I was miscarrying my next baby. He is now 16 and out milking the cow.

My point is simply that grim prognoses CAN be wrong. Totally, hyper wrong. Even when the pushy doctor in your face really sounds like they know what they're talking about... Sometimes they really don't. They don't control the universe and can only make guesses about the future based on their textbooks. So, I am going to believe right along with you that the Little Miss is going to stay put for at least 4 more weeks as well, and then grow into a happy young lady who has no memories of her stressful birth time.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 PM

Thank you for updating. I am so glad you could advocate for yourself and tell that resident not to come in anymore. (We have a resident like that at our hospital-- I can totally picture it). You need to surround yourself with positivity. Only positive messages into your room!

Since there have been no signs of labor or infection yet (usually they start within a couple days of ROM), I am so so so hopeful that the baby will stay put. I strongly believe you will be pregnant for a good long while yet!! I am curious-- did you change your mind about a potential cesarean? The plan would be if labor is active and delivery is imminent that a cesarean would be the safest delivery option for the baby because she is breech? Correct?

I agree with their statement about monitoring-- it is SO hard to keep a baby that little on a fetal monitor... even up to 27-28 weeks, it is so difficult to get a good tracing. Can they do intermittent doppler checks?

This story of yours is so crazy, and heart-wrenching, and inspiring, and miraculous. I am so sorry you are living through it. One day at a time. Just one day at a time... Will you be 24 weeks on Monday? You said you got your first beta methasone shot today?

Much love and continued prayers! May God continue to shower you with his grace and supernatural peace!!!

Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapsie View Post
Thank you for updating. I am so glad you could advocate for yourself and tell that resident not to come in anymore. (We have a resident like that at our hospital-- I can totally picture it). You need to surround yourself with positivity. Only positive messages into your room!

Since there have been no signs of labor or infection yet (usually they start within a couple days of ROM), I am so so so hopeful that the baby will stay put. I strongly believe you will be pregnant for a good long while yet!! I am curious-- did you change your mind about a potential cesarean? The plan would be if labor is active and delivery is imminent that a cesarean would be the safest delivery option for the baby because she is breech? Correct?

I agree with their statement about monitoring-- it is SO hard to keep a baby that little on a fetal monitor... even up to 27-28 weeks, it is so difficult to get a good tracing. Can they do intermittent doppler checks?

This story of yours is so crazy, and heart-wrenching, and inspiring, and miraculous. I am so sorry you are living through it. One day at a time. Just one day at a time... Will you be 24 weeks on Monday? You said you got your first beta methasone shot today?

Much love and continued prayers! May God continue to shower you with his grace and supernatural peace!!!
I am 24 on Sunday. Baby is over 600 g and otherwise looks great. Will get second steroid tonight. She is breech. For those reasons, I could not see risking the vaginal birth. I have to try, even though I'm totally terrified of a section.

I got mfm doc to agree to mag sulfate for brain protection. I can do it at 24 weeks, but I think it is better to try to do it as close to labor as possible, so I'm going to ask again.

Nurse does the heart rate belt thing for a minute or so when she does vitals, and baby is so busy kicking the monitor that she ends it quickly.

Knock on wood, no bleeding since breakfast. Though I hate being happy about that bc it means I will panic the next time I bleed.

So are the docs always so negative or am I being naive to want to hope and try? I see people online who work in nicu saying they would not try to save a baby under 26 weeks. What would you do?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM

It sounds like you are making thoughtful choices and listening to your heart through all of this.

Hopefully your baby girl will stay inside for a lot longer. Chapsie most likely has more experience and information on the options and outcomes for early babies. I would personally want to try something. I would want to look into kangaroo care too as I've read it improves outcomes.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/kangaroocare.asp
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've been in a location with poor internet service, so it's tricky to post. I just wanted to let you know that I am here supporting you. You and your little girl are doing such a fantastic job.

What are you doing to pass the time? Reading, watching hospital TV, visiting with family? I'm asking because I was wondering if there's anything we can do to help keep your mind occupied. Ebook recommendations, fb friend requests, interactive games, or do you like funny gifs? Maybe things are just too intense right now, and rest is your best friend. But at anytime in the coming weeks left us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Much love to you mama
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranapanda View Post
I've been in a location with poor internet service, so it's tricky to post. I just wanted to let you know that I am here supporting you. You and your little girl are doing such a fantastic job.

What are you doing to pass the time? Reading, watching hospital TV, visiting with family? I'm asking because I was wondering if there's anything we can do to help keep your mind occupied. Ebook recommendations, fb friend requests, interactive games, or do you like funny gifs? Maybe things are just too intense right now, and rest is your best friend. But at anytime in the coming weeks left us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Much love to you mama
Thank you. DH has been with me in the hospitals since Monday, but he will have to go to work and back home with the kids pretty soon. I have lots of books, crosswords, iPad, phone, so I am good for awhile. I have not wanted visitors as I am pretty private, but if I stay here a long time, that may change.

Current update:

This is day 7 since my waters broke. Still no infection or labor. Baby still looks fine. My fluid was 14 on Monday, 12 on Wednesday, and 7 today. I don't see any fluid coming out, so maybe that is normal fluctuation or the techs say its really hard to measure such a small baby's fluid. Either way, they call normal 5-25.

I bled on Wednesday, but they could only see a tiny area of placenta detachment on the very edge, so they don't seem worried. Bleeding stopped all day Thursday, and then I had one episode early Friday morning that started when I finally laid totally flat to sleep, and stopped when I woke up and sat up. It also looks like it's getting older - the color is darker, and it has those like "strings of powder" that I see in the toilet when I have my period - not whole clots, but like it's starting to stop.

I have been on bed rest even though they don't think it matters, because it can't hurt and makes me feel like I'm doing something. My current fear, on top of losing the baby as 24 week babies only have like 40% chance, is having a c section. I will definitely have one unless I go a lot longer and the baby turns. It may very well have to be a classical incision too. I've never had any surgery and I'm pretty scared. I'm afraid I'll panic. Plus it means I can't see the baby right away, and if she dies, I would miss her few minutes of life. But it gives her the best chance, so I have to do it.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 AM

I'm glad the blood looks older and your fluid levels are so far ok. I'm hoping with @Chapsie that all these are good signs.

I don't know if my opinion even matters, since I'm not a NICU person and have no experience with this kind of thing, but I would do everything I could to save a vigorous 24 weeker. I think so much of it depends on the baby and it sounds like your bean is an active fighter who is at a good weight. If it were me, I would put aside the opinions offered solely based on weeks and assess the bean once she arrives. But I also know if you have a c-section that will be harder to do immediately. The c-section would definitely scare me too. My only experience with surgery other than wisdom teeth was my D&C after we lost our baby. It was awful and traumatic, but the physical process was relatively easy, partly because I was under general. I don't know what kind of anesthesia they would use in your case or if you have any choice in the matter. Perhaps the more information you could get on precisely how the c-section would go down, the more control you would feel over the situation.

As @maranapanda says, just let us know if there's anything we can do to help. It's hard to know in this situation whether you just want to vent or whether you want opinions/advice/support. And probably your desire for all will change from minute to minute. Let us know what we can do (if anything). This little person has a lot of people rooting for her.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm glad the blood looks older and your fluid levels are so far ok. I'm hoping with @Chapsie that all these are good signs.

I don't know if my opinion even matters, since I'm not a NICU person and have no experience with this kind of thing, but I would do everything I could to save a vigorous 24 weeker. I think so much of it depends on the baby and it sounds like your bean is an active fighter who is at a good weight. If it were me, I would put aside the opinions offered solely based on weeks and assess the bean once she arrives. But I also know if you have a c-section that will be harder to do immediately. The c-section would definitely scare me too. My only experience with surgery other than wisdom teeth was my D&C after we lost our baby. It was awful and traumatic, but the physical process was relatively easy, partly because I was under general. I don't know what kind of anesthesia they would use in your case or if you have any choice in the matter. Perhaps the more information you could get on precisely how the c-section would go down, the more control you would feel over the situation.

As @maranapanda says, just let us know if there's anything we can do to help. It's hard to know in this situation whether you just want to vent or whether you want opinions/advice/support. And probably your desire for all will change from minute to minute. Let us know what we can do (if anything). This little person has a lot of people rooting for her.
That's what we think. She's big for her age, we're practically at 24 weeks, we got the steroids, I'm not in labor, she looks happy... I can't not try. Even knowing the 50% chance she will die. I could not live with myself if we did not try.

What I need is positivity and support. I don't feel a need to vent - I haven't been a "why me" person in a long time - it is what it is, and so I'll deal with it. Thank you so much.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
What I need is positivity and support. I don't feel a need to vent - I haven't been a "why me" person in a long time - it is what it is, and so I'll deal with it. Thank you so much.
I was kind of a "why me" person after my miscarriage, but then I realized I was insufferable and got over it.

I hope today went well and that you're resting comfortably. I assume you're at the hospital for the long haul? I don't know if you're an X-Files fan, but all nine or so seasons are on Netflix.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was kind of a "why me" person after my miscarriage, but then I realized I was insufferable and got over it.

I hope today went well and that you're resting comfortably. I assume you're at the hospital for the long haul? I don't know if you're an X-Files fan, but all nine or so seasons are on Netflix.
Don't get me wrong - I have ten minutes a day of "I just wanna give up and go home" but then I do something else or DH says something positive. The worst is when I give into the temptation of looking up people's stories in similar situations. Then I get really upset. DH also told me to just start watching a show on netflix, so I think I will do that after I finish the fiction book I'm reading. He wants itto be OITNB.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Orange is the new black is awesome!

Just wanted you to know I am a ending well wishes your way. I think it's great that so far there are no signs of active labor. I really think if anyone is going to beat the odds you will.

User Tag List