Watery red bleeding second trimester - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

#61 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
DDC again over here-
Radiolab- if you're not familiar with it, it's hard to explain the show, but beautifully crafted story telling slash reporting I guess- did a great piece called "23 weeks 6 days." http://www.radiolab.org/story/288733-23-weeks-6-days/ I don't know that I'd advise listening to it now, but overall it's a baby born then, her ups and downs in the NICU, she is happy and a toddler now, told better than any NICU story I've ever heard. I listened to it about 1 year after DD's NICU experience and sobbed in a therapeutic way. Anyways... The point here is the parents were talking with the doctors before the birth about statistics, and choices etc, and it was all very grim and absolute. Then the NICU nurse practitioner came in, and said, let's just see what happens and make what ever choices we can at the point where we need to. You can follow the baby's lead, start treatments then stop them, etc. it's one of the things that sticks with me the most about the show.

My dear friend is a NICU nurse. Her favorite babies are the 23-24-25 weekers. Mostly because she likes the complexity and longevity of it- and she finds it overall to be a positive job she does, likes going from a tiny being with maximum support to a pudgy good ol' baby. this is not all about grim-ness. I don't know if it helps- but knowing their are people out there who see 24 weekers as a routine part of their day-to-day lives helped add a drop of normalization to all this when I had my DD.

Dealing with parents is honestly what NICU doctors do WORST. No one wants to give false hope, and I get that. I remember angrily the doctor who assured me, with salesman-smoothness, my DD wouldn't have retinopathy (which she did) and that she'd be in the transition nursery in a few days (weeks later...), etc. I found it better to hear and talk in "if-then" ways, and what "criteria" had to be met for the next step. Because really that's what matters. The nurses speak in this way more so, I found.

Netflix got me through a lot in the NICU. I also read a lot, although oddly the only one that comes to mind was re-reading Dracula.
#62 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alivewithyou View Post
Orange is the new black is awesome!

Just wanted you to know I am a ending well wishes your way. I think it's great that so far there are no signs of active labor. I really think if anyone is going to beat the odds you will.
For some reason, netflix would not play OITNB on my iPad last night! I ended up re watching The Birdcage. I don't know why the show wouldn't work.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#63 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
DDC again over here-
Radiolab- if you're not familiar with it, it's hard to explain the show, but beautifully crafted story telling slash reporting I guess- did a great piece called "23 weeks 6 days." http://www.radiolab.org/story/288733-23-weeks-6-days/ I don't know that I'd advise listening to it now, but overall it's a baby born then, her ups and downs in the NICU, she is happy and a toddler now, told better than any NICU story I've ever heard. I listened to it about 1 year after DD's NICU experience and sobbed in a therapeutic way. Anyways... The point here is the parents were talking with the doctors before the birth about statistics, and choices etc, and it was all very grim and absolute. Then the NICU nurse practitioner came in, and said, let's just see what happens and make what ever choices we can at the point where we need to. You can follow the baby's lead, start treatments then stop them, etc. it's one of the things that sticks with me the most about the show.

My dear friend is a NICU nurse. Her favorite babies are the 23-24-25 weekers. Mostly because she likes the complexity and longevity of it- and she finds it overall to be a positive job she does, likes going from a tiny being with maximum support to a pudgy good ol' baby. this is not all about grim-ness. I don't know if it helps- but knowing their are people out there who see 24 weekers as a routine part of their day-to-day lives helped add a drop of normalization to all this when I had my DD.

Dealing with parents is honestly what NICU doctors do WORST. No one wants to give false hope, and I get that. I remember angrily the doctor who assured me, with salesman-smoothness, my DD wouldn't have retinopathy (which she did) and that she'd be in the transition nursery in a few days (weeks later...), etc. I found it better to hear and talk in "if-then" ways, and what "criteria" had to be met for the next step. Because really that's what matters. The nurses speak in this way more so, I found.

Netflix got me through a lot in the NICU. I also read a lot, although oddly the only one that comes to mind was re-reading Dracula.
Thank you so much for talking to me. Was the radiolab show based on that reporter in Tampa with the great three part article? I did read that and it was great.

My fave MFM doc is really upbeat about my baby's chances. I love when it is his day to round. Even the resident I don't like said I've already defied the odds still being here at 7 days ruptured. Trying to stay positive.

What week was your baby born?

#64 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This just popped up for me in recent threads. I don't have any words of wisdom or advice, but I will absolutely be praying for you and your baby, and I'll be watching for updates. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, but you seem to be handling it all very well and with a level head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Galatea likes this.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#65 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
This just popped up for me in recent threads. I don't have any words of wisdom or advice, but I will absolutely be praying for you and your baby, and I'll be watching for updates. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, but you seem to be handling it all very well and with a level head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.

#66 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Just checking in. I'm glad to see you're still there and labor is still holding off. My husband also said that his experience in the NICU as a dietician was really positive too. It was hard seeing the littles fighting like that, but he saw some wonderful and inspiring success stories. He was also positive that he would do whatever he could to save a 24 weeker. Hopefully though that doesn't even have to be a conversation because the baby stays put.

When do you get fluid levels checked again? I assume that and any infection are the major warning signs they're looking at?

OITNB is awesome. Hopefully you can get it to play. It's really addictive and I think does a great job with race/class/gender issues but in a lighthearted and ultimately pretty funny way.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#67 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
Just checking in. I'm glad to see you're still there and labor is still holding off. My husband also said that his experience in the NICU as a dietician was really positive too. It was hard seeing the littles fighting like that, but he saw some wonderful and inspiring success stories. He was also positive that he would do whatever he could to save a 24 weeker. Hopefully though that doesn't even have to be a conversation because the baby stays put.

When do you get fluid levels checked again? I assume that and any infection are the major warning signs they're looking at?

OITNB is awesome. Hopefully you can get it to play. It's really addictive and I think does a great job with race/class/gender issues but in a lighthearted and ultimately pretty funny way.
I think I will get another ultrasound on Monday. Tomorrow (Sunday) I am 24 weeks so they will start doing NSTs every day. Baby is still super busy so I don't foresee any problems with those.

DH couldn't figure out what was wrong with OITNB either, so I'm going to give it a day or two and then email customer service.

#68 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Maybe it's because everyone is trying to watch it at once, lol. I haven't seen it yet but everyone keeps recommending it.

Yes, it's the Tampa family. Radiolab does such a good job- I've read it and listened to it, both.

DD was born at 27 weeks, very quickly out of the blue. The official cause was chorioamnionitis although I had no sx. I went to my local tiny community hospital thinking maybe I had a uti, and I was fully dilated as soon as they got me on the monitors and checked me. No steroids, and I suspect she didn't get a full dose of surfactant. She is probably one of the smallest babies born at the community hospital. NICU was 1 hr away, and due to how things all went, she arrived there about 4 hrs after her birth. I think that set her back some, and she needed pretty high-level respiratory support longer than most 27 weekers, but otherwise it was a long but uncomplicated stay in the NICU. I know that 27 weeks is worlds away from 24 weeks so I don't mean to imply that I have gone through the same choices and challenges as you. Just the waiting and sort of being told you should expect to have to make some choices is a huge challenge we never really had to face. Also, DD was my first and I have a medical background professionally, was very familiar with the hospital DD was at, so it maybe became more normalized for me, and I had more confidence, but also was maybe more detached. But there's a good chance you have a long NICU stay ahead if you and I can relate to that. It's wierd to have your own day to day life so intertwined with a hospital. If it was all just a little less heavy it would make for an interesting show. You're there more than, say, the residents and nurses of grey's anatomy.

I'm pregnant with DD2 now, and just passed 27 weeks (I'm in the November DDC) so I'm starting to feel a little optimistic myself.

DD1 is a perfect and normal 3 yo now.
#69 of 76 Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 PM

Recommended recreational books: Carl hiaasen novels. They mostly take place in southern Florida, are funny thrillers, always have a pro-environment anti-development spin, and are a complete escape from the reality of a PA hospital. Bad monkey is the recent one and one of the funniest. I'm on a big southern Florida kick- also watching Dexter and The Glades (when my insomnia hits-I know, not a very good habit to fix my sleep)
#70 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe it's because everyone is trying to watch it at once, lol. I haven't seen it yet but everyone keeps recommending it.

Yes, it's the Tampa family. Radiolab does such a good job- I've read it and listened to it, both.

DD was born at 27 weeks, very quickly out of the blue. The official cause was chorioamnionitis although I had no sx. I went to my local tiny community hospital thinking maybe I had a uti, and I was fully dilated as soon as they got me on the monitors and checked me. No steroids, and I suspect she didn't get a full dose of surfactant. She is probably one of the smallest babies born at the community hospital. NICU was 1 hr away, and due to how things all went, she arrived there about 4 hrs after her birth. I think that set her back some, and she needed pretty high-level respiratory support longer than most 27 weekers, but otherwise it was a long but uncomplicated stay in the NICU. I know that 27 weeks is worlds away from 24 weeks so I don't mean to imply that I have gone through the same choices and challenges as you. Just the waiting and sort of being told you should expect to have to make some choices is a huge challenge we never really had to face. Also, DD was my first and I have a medical background professionally, was very familiar with the hospital DD was at, so it maybe became more normalized for me, and I had more confidence, but also was maybe more detached. But there's a good chance you have a long NICU stay ahead if you and I can relate to that. It's wierd to have your own day to day life so intertwined with a hospital. If it was all just a little less heavy it would make for an interesting show. You're there more than, say, the residents and nurses of grey's anatomy.

I'm pregnant with DD2 now, and just passed 27 weeks (I'm in the November DDC) so I'm starting to feel a little optimistic myself.

DD1 is a perfect and normal 3 yo now.
Hey, there's no comparing or competing on this. No one wants a baby in the NICU, period. My sister's first baby was overdue, close to 10 lbs, and still had to go to the NICU for awhile as he had been entrapped in his cord for the whole third trimester and aspirated mechanism very deeply due to the stress on him. She said she felt bad because her baby could have eaten most of the other babies - but still, no one wants that.

#71 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Recommended recreational books: Carl hiaasen novels. They mostly take place in southern Florida, are funny thrillers, always have a pro-environment anti-development spin, and are a complete escape from the reality of a PA hospital. Bad monkey is the recent one and one of the funniest. I'm on a big southern Florida kick- also watching Dexter and The Glades (when my insomnia hits-I know, not a very good habit to fix my sleep)
I'll check those out. I have two more books here first. I got the Xfinity app to work last night, so I got caught up on true blood and am super happy about that. I'm gonna see what else they have. I know DH watched dexter and liked it. It would be better if he was on bed rest. He loves binge watching!
badwolf092087 likes this.

#72 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Hey, there's no comparing or competing on this. No one wants a baby in the NICU, period. My sister's first baby was overdue, close to 10 lbs, and still had to go to the NICU for awhile as he had been entrapped in his cord for the whole third trimester and aspirated mechanism very deeply due to the stress on him. She said she felt bad because her baby could have eaten most of the other babies - but still, no one wants that.
Haha this makes me laugh about her baby eating her other babies bc my last was 9.5 lbs. I'm worried this one will be 10. I feel bc my babies have been so big that they literally suck me dry in the beginning even after my milk comes in.
#73 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I'm glad everything is better today! Makes me happy to read. We said a prayer for you at church this morning.

As for Dexter, do you have a good stomach for gore? I know you watch True Blood based off your post, but it's different levels. Some episodes are kill free, while others you kind of aren't sure how to react to his actions. It's all about the moral code he has developed for himself. It is a good show. You just need to be able to handle the blood and everything else that comes with it.

Sarah & DH Alan 

Our angel in heaven, DS Connor 10/2/09 to 10/5/09  
2 pups, 11 cats  and always rescuing more!  RIP Momma Furby </3
Baby #2, a GIRL!, due Nov 29th, 2014  

#74 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf092087 View Post
I'm glad everything is better today! Makes me happy to read. We said a prayer for you at church this morning.

As for Dexter, do you have a good stomach for gore? I know you watch True Blood based off your post, but it's different levels. Some episodes are kill free, while others you kind of aren't sure how to react to his actions. It's all about the moral code he has developed for himself. It is a good show. You just need to be able to handle the blood and everything else that comes with it.
Thank you for saying a prayer for me.

I can handle ogre no problem. I just can't handle the type of scary where there's no way out. Like that old "comedy" Nothing but Trouble. It used to scare the crap out of me because they can never get away!
badwolf092087 likes this.

#75 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
We loved Dexter, but by the last season it got a little too hopeless for me and kind of jumped the shark. I felt the same hopelessness about both Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead, so use those as comparisons if you've seen either. Dexter is definitely dark humor and how much of each varies from episode to episode. But I loved the first few seasons.

Happy 24 weeks! I'm so glad you're at a point where there's a chance and steroids and things to help baby grow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for excellent fluid levels tomorrow. I'm also hoping the time goes by as quickly as it can.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#76 of 76 Old 08-24-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
We loved Dexter, but by the last season it got a little too hopeless for me and kind of jumped the shark. I felt the same hopelessness about both Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead, so use those as comparisons if you've seen either. Dexter is definitely dark humor and how much of each varies from episode to episode. But I loved the first few seasons.

Happy 24 weeks! I'm so glad you're at a point where there's a chance and steroids and things to help baby grow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for excellent fluid levels tomorrow. I'm also hoping the time goes by as quickly as it can.
Thanks!

I still like Walking Dead because I don't have any hope for any of them really. Like the world is never magically going to go back, so it's ok. I did not watch Breaking Bad because I usually only watch shows that are not reality in some way - magic, history, something escapist - and because it looks too upsetting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page