Pregnancy & SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Pregnancy & SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction)

I didn't have this in my past pregnancies. I'm freaking dying. I don't know what to do. I sleep with pillows, I move carefully, I don't do anything strenuous, I don't carry things. This pain is too much. I can't sit upright for long without feeling like I'm being stabbed in the front of my pelvis, and my lower back/tailbone.

Anyone have this and find ways to make it more bearable? I have about 13 weeks left, and at this rate I don't know how much longer I'll be able to function.
Thanks in advance.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I wasn't diagnosed with it, but since finding out about it I'm certain I had it. Have you talked to your OB/midwife about treatment options? Physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, chiropractics all may help. Even just icing it may help (again- talk to your OB/midwife).

I didn't try it myself, but in hindsight, getting to the pool may help a little bit. The water takes a lot of the weight off your lower body. I believe they still have pregnancy exercise classes in pools for that reason, you could give that a try or just free swim/float.

If you don't have one, look into a massage pad. We got a great one at good will- the whole back and seat were heated, you can turn specific massagers on and off (upper back, middle back, lower back, and two on the seat). I practically lived on it the last trimester. It got ruined by mold and I'm definitely going to get one before next time. (okay- maybe the muscle pain for me was unrelated to SPD but it still might help)

Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had this. Chiropractic care is awesome (especially KST). Also, if you put a pillow between bent knees and squeeze them together it relieves the pain somewhat (sounds weird, but works). I think Epsom salt baths helped me too.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Seeing a chiropractor made a huge difference for me. In my second pregnancy I put it off and I could hardly walk at the end. My third pregnancy was so much better. I still had some pain, but I could walk!

Getting in a pool feels amazing when you're pregnant and in pain, but it doesn't help anything long term. The pain comes back as soon as you get out of the water.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I agree with everyone here and what they've advised. I developed it during my second pregnancy, and it is starting to rear its head now that I'm nearly 18 weeks with my third. Weekly chiropractic care was my saving grace. Since then, I've leanred that stress can make it worse. I know it is hard to stay calm, but keeping a cool head can really help your pelvis stay aligned.

I see a PT now that is helping with the SPD as well as some other body work. She told me about the ball squeezes between the knees and that really does help. I also lay on my back, knees up at 90 degrees, and I tie a blanket around my knees and try to spread my knees apart for 10 seconds, three times. That exercise in conjunction with the ball squeezes brings relief right away.

Bearing weight on a single leg will almost always aggravate it, so speed walking isn't your best bet for exercise. I did Zumba and that kept me moving without stressing my sore pelvis. You didn't mention stairs... It is silly but I just crawled up mine and that helped, too. In fact crawling around with my then 2 year old helped overall. If you see a chiopractor they can make recommendations about how you can sit to minimize stress, and they may be able to recommend a support belt to keep your bones steady.

I hope this helps and your condition doesn't get any worse. Hang in there, mama!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
Seeing a chiropractor made a huge difference for me. In my second pregnancy I put it off and I could hardly walk at the end. My third pregnancy was so much better. I still had some pain, but I could walk!

Getting in a pool feels amazing when you're pregnant and in pain, but it doesn't help anything long term. The pain comes back as soon as you get out of the water.
I didn't expect it to help long term, but it sounded like hte OP was in a nearly constant state of pain and it might give a bit of a respite. After she gets advice on any exercises that may help from a doctor/PT/whoever, it also may be better to do some pool exercises.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies.

I agree the pool does bring relief while I'm in there. Though my pool has a 3 step up then 3 step down ladder, and that seems to bring the pain right back
I have been trying the squeeze 'exercise', though it doesn't seem to do much for me.
My chiropractor is just over an hour away, so my visits with her are few and far between now, since sitting in the car for long is brutal.
I can't crawl much, it hurts too much, though thankfully I don't have any stairs at home! I sleep on my sides with a pillow between my knees, and have tried following instructions from online about how to sit, stand, get up, etc. It just seems to be getting worse. Today is the worst so far. I got home from picking up DD from school, and felt like I could barely walk in the door. I really don't know what else to do. I plan on talking to my doc about it again this Friday, but she tends to brush away most of my complaints, saying is just normal, nothing I can do about it, take some Tylenol & walk more... Walking hurts. Ugh. I just need some relief. I don't know how I'll get through 3 more months like this.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM

I'm not sure how your insurance works or what your financial situation looks like- can you find getting a second opinion? It's really concerning that your doctor is brushing off something that's so severly effecting your life.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I think if she does it again, I will ask to talk to the other doctor in her office. I've heard very good things about him.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM

Oh dmariev, I'm sorry you're hurting so badly and your chiro is so far away! Can you get a referral to a Physical Therapist? And that stinks about crawling making yours worse-- it made me feel better. Hoping you get relief, and a doctor that takes you seriously, soon!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM

Sorry to double-post. I forgot to mention the name of the belt that was helpful: Symphysis Maternity Belt. Also, if you Google MuTu + symphysis pubis dysfunction it pulls up a great list of exercises that may be able to buy you some more time/relief before you can see someone else.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for posting <3 I don't mind double posts

so tomorrow is my appointment. I'm having a lot of anxiety about it, because I think it's likely she will brush it off again. My SIL is seeing the other doctor in the office and absolutely adores him. He was her doctor with her last baby, and said he was wonderful and really listens to her.
If I have to switch, I don't even know hot to go about it. Also, I don't know how to do it without offending my current doctor. She is very nice, I just don't feel she listens to me enough.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

My appointment went better than I expected! First of all, baby is doing well
So this time I really felt she listened to me. She gave me more suggestions, showed sympathy, and is currently trying to get my insurance to cover physical therapy, possibly even at my home! Phew! I'm so glad it went that way, I had so much anxiety about it!
So now I'm going to try these new suggestions, and hopefully it helps some. I know that it's not going to go away, but if I can make it more tolerable, then great!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope things are going better by now, but I just wanted to say that I had mild SPD with my first and terrible SPD with my second starting halfway through and lasting 6 months post-partum! I did go to the chiropractor regularly with both, and that really didn't help with the SPD at all.

I just found out I'm pregnant with #3, and I assume the SPD will be back, so I'm going to try a support belt this time! One with the groin support belts as well since that's where I hurt the most. I really hope it makes a difference, because like you I simply couldn't function.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just in case you didn't see it, Mothering had an article about this just a couple of days after you posted: http://www.mothering.com/articles/pe...sfunction-spd/. I wrote the piece, so I can relate to how you feel. I'm sorry you are in pain.

User Tag List