1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndriaLeAnn

#1 of 8 Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question to home-birth mamas

Hello mamas out there.
My husband and I are trying to conceive. My mom had her fourth child at home and loved it. I have been doing research and would love to do the same with my first. I know that I still want the prenatal visits at a doctor's office mainly for the ultra sounds. I really want to see the baby progress. I don't necessarily want any of the testing done and I will not want vaccines for me nor my baby. What are your thoughts and experiences? Any advice would help. Thank you all in advance for reading this and responding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would start looking for a midwife. I'm having a planned, midwife assisted home birth but still have the opportunity to have ultrasounds done if needed.
Did you ask your mom how she did her prenatal care?
Best of luck ttc!
#3 of 8 Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had all my babies at home with a licensed midwife. I still had at least 1 ultrasound in every pregnancy and any other medical care that I needed. While midwives often don't offer ultrasounds, they always work with a medical clinic that does. My experience is that you will get much better care start to finish if you use a midwife. I am a huge homebirths advocate and think its a wonderful way to give birth.
#4 of 8 Old 09-12-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a home birth with a CPM with my first. She has an ultrasound machine, and we went to a private company for a gender scan. I was extremely happy with my prenatal care and birth experience. My buddies with my midwives at prenatal visits were usually over half an hour long, and I really appreciated getting to know them as people before they were in my birth space. I don't know if I would have had that at an ob/gyn practice, and if they're not the ones helping you give birth, why even go see them?

Stork Vision was the ultrasound company we went with. We were super happy with them. They have offices all over the country.
#5 of 8 Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtsWife View Post
I had a home birth with a CPM with my first. She has an ultrasound machine, and we went to a private company for a gender scan. I was extremely happy with my prenatal care and birth experience. My buddies with my midwives at prenatal visits were usually over half an hour long, and I really appreciated getting to know them as people before they were in my birth space. I don't know if I would have had that at an ob/gyn practice, and if they're not the ones helping you give birth, why even go see them?

Stork Vision was the ultrasound company we went with. We were super happy with them. They have offices all over the country.
Thank you so much!
DtsWife likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM

I had a CNM for backup to my CPM for 2 homebirths. I saw both midwives for prenatal care so that both were familiar if I did end up deciding a homebirth would not be the right choice for that pregnancy. The CNM works in a hospital clinic, so I had access to all the hospital equipment, ultrasound, etc.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#7 of 8 Old 09-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not one for unnecessary ultrasounds myself, but I know that there are lots of stand-alone ultrasound places now. There are at least two in my town, and the OB practice I visited before deciding on homebirth also offered them. Self-referral basis, no doctor or midwife approval needed. I don't know how much they cost, though.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that a midwife will better serve you. You can still go to the clinic for the ultrasound but this way you are building trust with a midwife and you won't get any negative remarks from a doctor. It's possible that you could find one that is okay with you having a home birth but that would be rare. My midwives test my urine every month for proteins, glucose, white blood cells etc. I fell very taken care of and I trust them. If they find something that makes you higher risk they will let you know this is also my first!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page