Mothering Forum banner

Positive Stories From Twin Mamas!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MyFillingQuiver 
#1 ·
Hi Mama's!

I am expecting twins in April. Not sure about fraternal or identical yet, though we do know they are in their own sac and have their own placentas. My guess is fraternal..but anyway...

I have been reading a lot about twins, from decent sources. I have the book from La Leche League, "Mothering Multiples" and "When you are expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Dr Barbara Luke.

My history is that I go overdue with large babies. I gain a lot of weight on a mostly Brewer diet (I say mostly because I don't follow it to a "T" but as best I can) and then lose the weight nursing and get pregnant whenever I get pregnant again.

My feelings from these books have left me with some fear! I realize I need to be informed and aware of risks, but I will not be treating this pregnancy like a disease because I have been blessed with two. I will be attempting a vaginal birth as long as baby A is vertex. These books have turned my awareness of preemies into a bit of fear.

I would like to hear positive stories of mama's who have delivered healthy, nice weight twins after 36 weeks. Any of you out there? It almost seems like a given that I'll have tiny and early babies who are hard to nurse after reading. Ugh!

Send your good stories my way. I want to be prepared for any complications, while focusing on the likelihood that I'll go to term or close to it with nice healthy babies!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have any personal experience here, but a woman in my 2012 DDC (who is no longer on mothering, sadly) gave birth to twins at 38 weeks and each twin was 8.5 pounds. Her first child was around 10 lbs, so she bakes big babies. No problems nursing or anything, as far as I remember. Hopefully you get some reassurance from other mamas as well.

#3 ·
That's a wonderful story! That's what I want to hear! I've heard plenty of the NICU/early birth/IUGR...Thank you :)

#4 ·
I am also pregnant with twins right now (due in late November) and it has been really difficult for me to sort through all of the information to figure out what the real risks are.
But ultimately I'm pretty sure I figured out that, with "di-di" tiwns (which it sounds like you have), your risks are apparently not much higher than a singleton pregnancy. Also, from everything I've read, diet is sooo important with twins and it sounds like you have that covered.
My midwife has delivered twelve sets of twins over her 30 year career and she says not a single set has been early (and in fact a few have been late :)).
I feel your struggle, as it is really difficult for me to listen to all of the feedback about my "high-risk status," and how "this isn't going to be easy" etc.
Despite my midwife's support, her current situation with hospital back-up meant if I gave birth with her, I would be almost guaranteed a c-section, so she found me another set of midwives whose hospital backup give a lot more leeway for vaginal birth (their backup OB still does breech, etc.). But getting to that point was a real struggle, and I have explored and thought about just about every option imaginable (including going down to the Farm).
All of that being said, I have heard (mostly firsthand) a few really positive natural birth stories for twins. You just have to find yourself in the right place, I think :).
I have been putting off buying both of the books you mentioned, and now I'm thinking I'll continue to put it off :smile:

#5 ·
Thank you @alk209! Congratulations on your twins!

The book by the Dr is really good for explaining the diet, and the need for the 3500 calories (which I am hardly meeting at this point) and the high protein/iron, etc. Other than that...ugh.. She is, however encouraging that if you follow the high calorie/lots of fat/high protein, you will most likely have heavier full-term twins. It's rather positive, but still (to me anyway) overshadowed by the complications/preemies.

I haven't finished the La Leche League book yet..I had to put it away this weekend, as I don't need the worry. It is, of course, EXTREMELY positive about nursing twins, which I'm glad for. It really helps in that way, but right after some line about "think positively that you will go to term" (paraphrase from memory) the next section of complications begins..kind of an oxymoron. So, I put it down.

I really think things were better back when twins were usually only confirmed at birth! At least from a birth standpoint anyway. Since over 80% of twins have twin A vertex at term, there is no reason not to be able to have vaginal deliveries of those babies in most cases! Breech extractions of 2nd twins used to be common..now they are "ultra dangerous" by most accounts.

Thanks again for your input. I truly value it! I wish you the very best in your upcoming birth! I would love to stay in touch after your delivery and see how you and babes are doing! PM me if you would like.

Blessings to you and your double blessing of twins!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.