3Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyTiger
  • 1 Post By indiana
  • 1 Post By PreNatalMassage

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Maternity support belt = nausea & indigestion?

Trying to figure out how to feel better in the third trimester... Wearing a maternity support belt (Trainer's Choice) has almost eliminated my back pain and has really helped me to get through the day. However, I think it might be causing really bad indigestion and nausea. Could I be imagining this? Anyone else?

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I've been wearing a belt and have not noticed any increase in either of those symptoms. If anything it should help with indigestion because the digestive tract has more room. I have, however, noticed an increase in nightly nausea (I had evening sickness in the first trimester) and heart burn in general. This starts around bedtime whether I've worn the belt or not that day, so I don't think they're related.

Anyway, no real advice. It sucks that this stuff comes back. I've been doing basic things like not letting myself get too hungry before bedtime, since it seems to be related to blood sugar in my case. Heartburn just randomly happens no matter what I eat, so I have no ideas on that one. I'm sorry you're feeling crappy though. It's a tough last few months anyway, the universe doesn't need to add massive back pain and nausea to the mix too.
JessieBird likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not far along enough to need a support belt, but I dread the possibility of using one for exactly that reason. Anything that increases pressure on my abdomen (whether it's from inside or outside) gives me nausea and indigestion. I can't even use full belly maternity pants (or under-belly pants) for that reason.

So, while I've heard plenty of women say their digestive symptoms simply got worse during the third trimester (understandable!), and it may just be that, I'd entertain the possibility that the added lift from the belly band isn't helping.

Not sure what that means you should do about your back, unfortunately. Maybe try a few days off and see if it helps the nausea? If not, you could put it back on - no reason to deal with back pain AND nausea if you don't have to!
JessieBird likes this.

Last edited by indiana; 10-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.
#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nausea could be increased by the belt

I would think that the belt could easily be causing the excess nausea, since it is pushing your belly up higher. Since heartburn already occurs because the tummy has less room due to the baby, if your stomach is compressing your esophagus, it could be causing some reflux problems (where the acid from your stomach spills back into your esophagus).

But there has to be a way to reduce your back pain while not making anything else worse. Maybe you can look into some herbs that reduce nausea that are safe for pregnancy. Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe might have some remedies that are safe for pregnancy, since they have a whole section just for pregnancy. Avoiding spicy foods might help, since then there is less acid to back up into your esophagus. Not eating a heavy meal before going to sleep, and using one of the side lying pillows they sell just for pregnant women could help take the pressure off at least while you are sleeping. Hope this helps!
JessieBird likes this.

I am a prenatal and postnatal massage therapist serving the New Jersey and New York City area. I am also a certified pediatric massage therapist. I am currently studying to become a childbirth educator and breastfeeding counselor, as well as a certified infant massage teacher. These are valuable services that I can provide to pregnant women in my area.

If you would like more information about me, my website is http://pregnancy-massage-nj.njmassage.info
#5 of 6 Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Yesterday I didn't wear the belt at all and the tummy troubles continued but not nearly as bad. My back on the other hand was killing of course. So today I went back to the belt but took it off to float in a pool for almost 2 hours in the middle of the day. Other than throwing up all over the dining room table at breakfast (nothing new for me unfortunately), I felt much better in every way. Maybe taking a day off the belt allowed baby to shift around some more, and the pool gave me a break from both back strain and digestive pressure. So I think there is definitely a correlation with the belt but not a definite one - I'll take an on/off approach to it and see how that goes. I keep telling myself it's only another 10 weeks then my last baby will be in my arms! and I will never, ever do this again!

As for herbs and other approaches to deal with the nausea and indigestion, I have way too much experience with this, having had bad heartburn from the minute I got a positive pregnancy test in all three pregnancies and generally bad nausea too, HG with DS2. This is the first time that I felt dramatically better in the second trimester though so it was a bummer to have it all come back this week. What has been working well is milk thistle, megadoses of probiotics from fermented foods, natural digestive enzymes, avoiding trigger foods, Diclectin (as little as possible but I can't seem to go off entirely or there is vomit on more than just the dining room table, even now at 30 weeks!) and zantac. A friend just suggested that I try drinkable Aloe Vera. I'd never heard of it before so am doing a little reading before starting.

Thanks again! All advice is welcome.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

Last edited by JessieBird; 10-02-2014 at 02:25 PM.
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

sorry, posted twice by accident

Last edited by JessieBird; 10-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page