Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant Over 40 Group?

4K views 74 replies 12 participants last post by  Daisy8s 
#1 ·
Is there an over 40 group for us older preggie mamas?
I need some grounding for the shock factor!!!

THANK YOU!:serious:

#2 ·
Hello fireflies! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I don't think there is an active group of 40 something pregnant folks. There is a 40+ trying to conceive group but I don't see that they have a graduates thread. You are welcome to start your own thread right here and now! Let me know if you have any questions.

#3 ·
Hi fireflies! I'll chat with you, I'm 40 and due just before my next bday... For me it's not such a shock as we tried for a while and ended up doing ivf to hurry it along... Tell us your story :)

#5 ·
Maybe we should start a tribe?

My hubby and I have been married 22 years! We have an 11 yr old and a 9 yr old! We've had sex thousands of times without any birth control in the 9 years since youngest was born LOL...and now I am pregnant at age 42!! What??? WOW! :) I will say that we moved to a log cabin on 20 acres in the moutains. The area is extremely fertile-water, soil, fresh air and lots of sunshine. My husband is the healthiest and most vibrant I have seen him in decades LOL...I think his sperm got stronger!! LOL

My first pregnancy was an early miscarriage as well as my last (8 years ago) so am expecting this to NOT be a sticky baby, but I sure feel pregnant. Dates are putting me at 7 weeks...

We are not sure how we feel about this! Still processing and trying not to make plans and think ahead too much. Hubby and boys wanted to see the pregnancy test right away, so kids are excited. I'm trying to slow everybody down. I AM OLD!!! :) And we have many many complicating factors: I am the breadwinner. My husband homeschools our boys. Our cabin was already too small for the four of us. We were going to add on eventually. Our cabin is quite remote and will be a bear to live in in the winter while pregnant LOL

ANYHOO....you get the idea;)
THANKS FOR BEING THERE! xo

Reactions: NizhoniTwice
#7 ·
Catholic74 - try not to stress too much at #5 I'm sure your body knows exactly what it should be doing, despite the thoughts in your mind :)
If it stresses you too much gets tests done to find out if all is ok, we've just had our DNA bloods / nuchal scan and all clear - although it would make no difference to the end result, being prewarned would prepare us mentally and be prepared if one of the babies needed support after birth. Lol I've just realized you could just be scared about the birth process etc. As you can tell this was my latest concern!
Fireflies - that sounds so ideal and relaxing, lol I'm not surprised dh swimmers developed muscles ;)
I totally understand all your dilemmas, looks like you will be waiting a little while longer before getting totally excited, but wow that is awesome! We live in a city in Australia, but my plan is to buy acreage and make it part natural wildlife friendly, part retreat for us so I can get that fresh air feeling!
I've been surprised that my body has taken to this so naturally, the babies dictate what they need, when they need it - my body provides and I'm just a passenger watching it all happen - lol probably best I'm not sticking my oar in the way!
Lovely to meet you both and congrats on your wonderful surprises!

Reactions: fireflies~for~me
#9 ·
Congrats firefly! Nice to know everything is going so well - despite the fact it's still a little freaky ;)

#10 ·
I'm part of the over 40 crowd too!

Well here I am, 42 and pregnant. My husband (47) and I have not been trying to conceive and have actively used birth control. We have a daughter 22 (my step daughter) and a son 10. We have just moved from Arkansas to South Carolina and reunited our family under one roof. My husband was working in CA while we lived in AR for the past 7 years. I guess you could say we were very happy to see each other and finally share a bed again. My cycle has always been very regular and when it was not coming as scheduled, I started to get nervous. Today I took a pregnancy test and will now begin the process of finding providers here...

We discussed today that or family spacing is bit unconventional...apparently one child per decade.

I am curious as to how others have reacted to your blessings?

I am still a bit in shock...:eek:
--SSIM

#11 ·
SSim - huge congrats! That is wonderful news :)
I totally understand the shock factor, but I've sort of learned from stories on here that babies 'arrive' when it works for them lol. Are you sharing with any family / friends or keeping it to yourselves?

Reactions: fireflies~for~me
#12 ·
and hey, first post too SSim?
yay for shock factor support!

we have not shared with anyone yet and probably won't for a while. I think most of our friends and family will be happily surprised and shocked along with us.
we decided to go ahead with the full range of early genetic testing.
next Thursday I have my Maternit 21 bloodwork and then Dec. 1st is my Nuchal Fold Transparency Ultrasound.

are you all decided about whether or not to do the testing since we are "Over 35"?

#13 ·
Fireflies - we did both tests as well, got the all clear on both huge relief! I'm with you it just makes sense to do the tests and have the knowledge... After we got the results I let the other people know that I wanted to, no general announcement though. Good luck with yours!

#14 ·
that must have been a HUGE relief! I don't have a sense of doom, but I do work in Early Intervention so everyday get to work with babies with Down Syndrome...I think I've sort of blocked out the worry, but it weighs on me...can't concentrate as well...

#16 ·
Fireflies - totally! A friend of ours has a severe downs boy (8 heart ops, and at age 6 he's still on a feed peg) much better to know and be prepared.
I'm due 24 April, but given it's twins we're expecting it to be a bit earlier than that (I'm also short 5'3" do not so much space)
When are you due?
Everyone else when are you due? How are you travelling?

#18 ·
I can't get in to the doctor until early December...I am hoping for a cancellation and an earlier appointment. I'm sure we will opt for non-invasive genetic testing. I'm not going for anything that could potentially jeopardize the baby.

As for my due date....not sure yet...I suspect sometime in June or early August. I think my last cycle was late Sept/early Oct...I wasn't really paying that close of attention...just took for granted that we had decided not to have more kids and therefore, we wouldn't. At least we have already decided I would be a SAHM for our 10 year old (he has Dyslexia) to support him through school so adding a baby won't be that big of a change for our plans.

What really stinks is that we got rid of all of our baby stuff when we left Arkansas...so, we will have to buy everything again...oh well...there are worse problems for sure!

I am certainly glad to know I'm not alone in this late life mommy hood!

#19 ·
Cool due date fireflies :) I'm a June baby and am biased lol.

Ssim - re the DNA blood test they get better results if they do it between 9-13 weeks I think, so if your appointment is after that maybe talk to your general doctor about getting it done? To clarify they take your blood not the babies ;)

How are you all doing?

#21 ·
Fireflies - mine took two weeks, but they had to send the blood samples from Australia to the usa (ridiculous right) so I'd imagine you'd get your results around 1 week? Results go to the ob or care giver, I was impatient and rang mine - she gave me the results over the phone. I'm not sure if it's normal or she is just awesome :)

Lol I'm doing really well, nausea is gone (unless I squish my belly accidentally), I'm guessing I'm having a really good run generally... Of course I still feel there's not enough space to eat properly, get sore as stuff stretches and grows lol and sometimes the babies movement is quite strong and feels strange. Lol all normal stuff ( I think) generally I'm feeling grateful to have two, be able to rest as needed, and full of wonder at the whole process.

How are you? How far now? 9 weeks?

#22 ·
Hi! Can I join? I will be 40 next month, pregnant with my 9th. I'm due the very end of June. I will be getting the Panorama test done in a few weeks. I want to hear the baby's heartbeat first... everything I have read says around 10 days to get results back.

#23 ·
Welcome and congrats eternal! It'll be great to share your journey and maybe learn from all your experience :)

#24 ·
One thing we have gone back and forth on is when to tell our news. We have only told one of my new friends here so I could find a provider. Her 10 year old son and mine have become inseparable. She also had a surprise baby about 16 months ago so I knew she would be able to relate. We have not told any family members yet and don't plan to until after the doctor's appointment and maybe until we get through the first trimester...we'll see how it happens.

I have been very lucky so far in that I don't have any morning sickness. I didn't have any with my first pregnancy and this one seems to be the same. I am not really showing yet but I had started an intense 4 week workout program on October 13 - before I knew I was pregnant. I stopped on November 2 when my back started flaring up. I have SIJD and pregnancy hormones cause it to flare as the joint begins to slip and spread. I thought I had overdone it with my running and exercise but then on second thought, I realized that my cycle was fairly late and it could actually be caused by pregnancy...guess which one it was??? ;)

My hubby is still in a bit of denial...he really wants us to get in to the doctor sooner than later. Somehow the three home pregrancy test don't mean anything until a MD tells him I am pregnant. I was able to move my appointment up by a week to next Tuesday so at least we are only a week out now to get in the first time to see the OB. I think the bigger deal is when is the due date for this baby. I was a little lax in keeping up with my cycle because I wasn't trying to get pregrant so I'm not sure exactly when my last cycle was...I think my period was due somewhere between Oct 18 and 28 but I really can't be certain. So having the doctor tell us when will definitely be a good thing and will make it more real.

#25 ·
Ssim - lol re the exercise, that's so funny how you became suspicious ;) as far as the telling, it's such a personal thing... I tend to be cautious too, but given my immediate family knew I'd done ivf etc. I shared with them straight after dh... The general friend and family group we waited till after the Nuchal scan... Also I was more concerned wince it's twins.
So exciting that even the dating will be a surprise!

#26 ·
Ssim, yes, the dating part will be fun!

Eternal and I are in the same DueDateClub I think too:)

Chuord, should get Maternit21 test results on Wednesday. I am 12 wks and 2 days. It's amazing to me they can glean all this info just from a mama blood draw. Amazing new technology! We do the Nuchal Scan on Dec. 1st. It won't feel totally real to me yet until that because then the reality either way will set in and the life decisions get to happen at that point. I work in Early Intervention, so the irony of working with wonderful babies every day with Down Syndrome is a lot of reality for me. Sigh..it's a hard path for the families, that is for sure.

Reactions: eternalw
#27 ·
Oh another (more shalllow) thing that's been sorta bothering me amidst all these mixed emotions, is feeling like an old, tired grandma who accidentally got pregnant. LOL I know, it's ridiciulous, but geez, even my pubic hair is turning gray ROFLMAO. Chuord, I think you will be cute as all get out with your first time baby bump! But for those of us with older kids, I swear, I already feel frumpy:( If I'm going to be pregnant at 42, I at least want to look cute! So that means investing in a new maternity wardrobe? I need some leggings at least to look cute with my snowboots, ha or something!! :) HELP!

#28 ·
Fireflies - fx for the materni21 results on Wednesday! That's so cool you have your nuchalscan on dec 1, I have my 19 week anatomy on dec 2 :)
I actually found the Nuchal scan was quite detailed, they also checked anatomy to date (4 chamber heart plus blood flow, blood flow to kidneys and bladder, fluid to same, arms legs toes, eyes, ears, brain quadrants, jaw growth - although that may have been for dh the haw growth lol, he works as an oral / Maxillofacial surgeon) so you should get a lot of peace of mind - oh the did nose bridge as well as a DS indicator.
You would probably understand given your job, one of the ladies I chat with in forums had to give birth to her twins at 31 wks, one has hydrops details and is doing better than expected bu still having a rough time of it.
Re the clothes etc. at least now I've just started to look pg ;) before it was just fat! No extra Gray hairs yet here - just those I started with lol![ I found out that stripes really work for a pg belly. Oh and legging would be great, aside from it's already 30-33 centigrade every day here so shorts and tanks it it!
ATTACH]10114[/ATTACH]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.