Mothering Forum banner

Im sure im pregnant but im getting negative results.

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tracyamber 
#1 ·
So i think im about 14 weeks pregnant. I haven't had a period since August.. I had a period around 8-9 weeks ago but a very light short period which is not usual for me (im usually heavy).. I tested around 11 weeks ago but it was negative. I tested again a week later and negative again. I haven't tested since as i thought "whats the point".. but i really do feel pregnant (i havent been over thinking it like most people would think so much about it that they believe theyre pregnant)... I have been suffering a lot of headaches, nausea, obviously missed periods, my breasts have been growing and my nipples tingle so much.. I've had this increase of wanting to have sex.. My stomach is also growing a bit but im a plus size lady (size 24 UK).. i've been feeling what feels like little bubbles in my belly.. not gas though, so i guess they could be flutters?.. I don't want to go to the doctors as i don't want look and feel silly if they tell me im not pregnant.. I'm going to buy another test this week and test again but i have a feeling it will be negative. Another thing is though, i have never been tested for it but i think i may have PCOS.. ive read that if you are pregnant and have PCOS, it can give you false negatives because of the hormone imbalance. Has anybody ever had this problem of feeling pregnant and getting negative results but finding out you are actually pregnant??

#2 ·
I hung out on a bunch of "pregnant with negative tests" threads when I was desperately hoping I was pregnant the last time we tried. I followed up and none of the women who were sure they were pregnant ended up pregnant. Not to be disheartening, but false negatives seem to be very rare. I would really consider going to a doctor. If you have PCOS something else could be going on to explain your symptoms and if you ARE pregnant you'll want to make sure you're doing everything you can to keep baby healthy.

Realistically, you're probably not pregnant, but no one on the internet can tell you that. You need a blood test and a doctor to start teasing out what's going on.

#3 ·
I second the advice to go to the doctor, and I think you can do it without sounding silly. You don't have to walk in and insist that you're pregnant. You can tell them that you haven't had a real period for 14 weeks, that you're nauseous, and all the other symptoms you mentioned. If you're not pregnant, it's still a good idea to find out why you're feeling the way you're feeling (e.g. have somebody finally explore the possibility of PCOS, check to make sure you're not having complications, etc). Something else could be amiss that you want to get taken care of. So consider focusing on asking the doctor questions instead of telling her you're pregnant. That's not a silly thing to do at all! And certainly don't feel silly asking for a pregnancy test if she doesn't mention it!

#4 ·
I have one friend that doesn't get a positive pregnancy test for several months into a pregnancy. I think that would be incredibly rare though.

Go to the doctor. They can do an u/s and tell you for sure. And if it's not a pregnancy, you'd want to know what it is that is causing this.

#6 ·
It's common to get a false negative (test says you're not pregnant but you really are). It is very rare to get a false positive (test says you're pregnant but you aren't). This is because the test works by detecting bHCG in your urine and there's not much, other than pregnancy, to trigger it. Usually false negatives are the result of doing the test too early when HCG levels are too low to be detected.

I agree with the PPs. Go to the doctor. I would think you don't even need to mention pregnancy to start with. If you tell them your symptoms it should be one of the first questions they ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.