Natural treatment for PUPPS? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, it looks like I DO have PUPPS. It has spread from my arms to my legs, back, belly, and breasts.

I can handle it all day but in the evening I want to itch my skin off.

I hate those creams and they don't work for me anyway... but I did take a Benadryl pill after much deliberation and it really helped, but I'm not really ok with taking that daily....

Any natural things I can try?? I am pretty desperate with this!! Every night I just lay in bed and grind my body on the bed to itch every tiny spot!!
#2 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 02:54 PM

No advice, since I never found ANYTHING that helped for me.

But lots of understanding and commiseration.

Try a cool shower - and a nice loofah or bath "puff" of some sort.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#3 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear
Try a cool shower - and a nice loofah or bath "puff" of some sort.
I don't know if I could control myself with a loofah!! I would scratch myself with it

I had dh pat and rub the spots instead of itching (since my arms are starting to get a tiny bit scabby) and that is OK, but nothing really makes it STOP except the benadryl.... ick.
#4 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 03:07 PM

Hey - at least something is giving you some relief ! Even Benadryl didn't help for me, other than to make me dozy.

When I got my maternity stuff out this time, I found most had blood stains on the insides where I'd scratched myself so raw. I hope you fair much better.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 05:54 PM

I've only had one client with pupps. She told me that vanilla extract soaked cotton balls applied topically helped her. She was desperate and started experimenting with everything in sight.

I have no idea why this would help but thought I'd pass it along. Good luck!
#6 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Could some sort of liver cleansing herbs help your body purge. I really know very little about PUPPS, but it seems like I read somewhere once that it was caused by an overtaxed liver? Good luck with finding something to help!

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#7 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Vanilla? Innnnteresting!! I will try that!
#8 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM

I've suggested nettle leaf infusions in the past, but it takes awhile to work. It's really sad that there's no real relief.
#9 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, Laura, I don't know about the liver connection but that's interesting... because I had HELLP with my first pregnancy and that's obviously liver related... hmmm....
#10 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Pam are you still reading? If you are, would you think Benadryl taken nightly is going to harm the baby? I'm 29 weeks, c/s will be at 38-39 weeks depending on my blood pressure at the time...

So we're talking 10 weeks... so 70 doses of Benadryl.... ick.

I prefer not to do it, but have this week out of sheer desperation....

Kimberly
#11 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 09:55 PM

I don't think Benadryl would do harm to a baby. If you get some relief and sleep from it, it would be a great remedy to take.

One of my clients said she had GREAT success with easing the itching using Benadryl topical cream. Have you tried that?
#12 of 43 Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

The topical cream just irritates my skin more....

Ok, since you say it is ok, I am going to do the benadryl You're pretty crunchy and I trust you

My sister said go for it but she's a super super super medicine happy RN. She has taken more drugs than anyone should EVER take while pregnant, like morphine and such...
#13 of 43 Old 05-21-2004, 12:15 AM

Benadryl is a class B drug, which means that, while there haven't been any intense studies about its safety and use with pregnant women, all animal studies (and anecdotal evidence) points to it being safe for pregnant women to use.

I know many providers recommend Benadryl for women who are having problems sleeping. While I'd try other options for that particular problem, I think in your case it's a good option!
#14 of 43 Old 05-21-2004, 09:06 AM

I remember trying to rake the skin off my arms during my first pregnancy! What a bizarre pregnancy symptom, you know? The only thing that helped me was ice packs. I would hold one on my itchy spots until they were completely numb.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#15 of 43 Old 05-21-2004, 09:27 AM

I had PUPPS with my first and it's evil. My midwive gave me stinging nettles to make a tea with and I drank that for about a week and it was gone. I would really try it. It doesn't taste all that bad and it really does work. PUPPS is definetly from an overtaxed liver. You are trying to rid your body of toxins that the liver can't handle. I hope you find relief fast
#16 of 43 Old 05-21-2004, 09:56 AM

Cold showers helped me some, and sometimes hot showers worked better. But they only helped while I was in them. Cold washclothes over the most itchy areas helped alittle too. Gold Bond extra strenght lotion helped for a couple hours, but I'll warn your that it burned my skin so bad when I put it on. But I considered that better than the itching. I never did try benadryl.
#17 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

UNBELIEVABLE! I have drank 2 cups of the nettles tea and tonight my itching is MUCH less intense...

I will keep doing it 3x/day for a week... I read some websites on it and got the dosage info.

It was only $4 for a big ole vat of nettles at whole foods yay!

Kimberly
#18 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Bahhhh, spoke too soon! My itch just took longer to kick in tonight! I'm in full blown pupps land again

I swear nights are my worst by far.. but normally by 6 or 7... tonight it didn't start till almost 11...
#19 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 02:32 AM

Can anyone describe or show me a link that outlines what PUPPS actually entails? I've got this bizarre itching that I've assumed was spider bites on the backs of my knees, inside my arms but mainly on my TUMMY! It's driving me nuts! Thanks--I'm just too tired to google...and that's pretty tired

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#20 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 03:21 AM

Here's a great site: http://members.optushome.com.au/westhoff/puppp/ - and she says dandelion helped! that is a great liver herb - perhaps adding the dandelion to the nettles? I would keep taking it, I hear it takes awhile to work!
Love Wins likes this.
#21 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 06:23 AM

I'm glad you are trying it. It really helped me! I was just talking to my dh tonight to see if he remembered exactly what was in it because I'm sure it was more than the nettles and she had me bath with some other herbs and take black strap molasses. He couldn't remember, but it was a lifesaver. I think I'll give her a call later and she if she can tell me what it was. I'll post after I speak with her
#22 of 43 Old 05-23-2004, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm still taking the nettles for sure! It's 6 pm and I'm itch free ALL DAY so far....

I wasn't expecting a 5 minute cure more like 5 days

Actually, even just a "lessening" would be great!

I don't think I can do dandelions.... I am pretty allergic to weeds in general...

Kimberly
#23 of 43 Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 AM

Y'all, I think I have PUPPS! I've been thinking it had to be spiders biting me in my bed or bedbugs . My dc who cosleep seem to be fine, so I was wondering why it was just me-----well, at least I have a sort-of diagnosis! I'm off to do a nettles infusion. This is the worst itching! Does it sound strange to have it on the insides of my forearms in addition to my tummy? Would it be too soon for it to appear at 26 wks? I'm really not wanting it to be bedbugs.....

Thanks, Pam for the link!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#24 of 43 Old 05-24-2004, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

26 weeks is a normal time for it to show up.... and yep, the inside of my forearms is the absolute WORST!! My one arm is kinda scabby!!!!

I was thinking I had bugs or something too, but no one else has it!!

Welcome to the itchy club!!
#25 of 43 Old 05-24-2004, 09:25 AM

No, don't welcome me ! Kick me out----this is horrible! I am glad I'm not alone though. I can't sleep at night and I want to rip my skin off. I joined the yahoogroup that was on Pam's link. It looks like a great source of info!

I aleady take nettles for iron---but I'm getting dandelion today. Anyone know if it's root or just plain dandelion (or is there not a difference)? I might just go out into my yard and start chewing...

#26 of 43 Old 08-12-2004, 07:24 PM

my PUPPS was pretty bad this time -and last- but I have been using raw unprocessed honey and gold bond powder - and it seems almost healed ! I had the honey on for three days straight and today is the 1st day I haven't been super itchy or horribly uncomfortable....i would only use the unheated kind - not the kind you get from the grocery but from the health food store...
#27 of 43 Old 08-13-2004, 11:21 PM

Hey, I just saw this thread had been bumped up. For anyone else who is suffering with this, I just wanted to post what had worked wonders for me:

Nettles
Dandelion Root
Flax Seed Oil Capsules

I had tremendous relief within hours. The Benadryl Gel worked fine until I'd gotten relief from within. From what I've read, the liver plays a huge part in this. Please, please, don't let yourself be induced. From the yahoo list I was on, so many times, I read that mothers were induced so their PUPPPs would go away (or so their drs thought). All they ended up with was a horrible induction/birth, babies who weren't ready to be born and PUPPPs that still didn't go away

Also, please don't give up on breastfeeding if you need to take medication for PUPPPs after the baby is here. Call a LLL leader or an IBCLC (or check out the BF forums here!).

Ok, that's my .02 for the night
Love Wins likes this.

#28 of 43 Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 AM

My daughter is 30 weeks pregnant and started out with a "rash" about a week ago....and it started progressing and now it is PUPPS..............oh my.....and I feel for any of the females that have this. She is miserable!!!!!....her ob dr. prescribed her Atarax (hydroxyzine) plus topical Benadryl cream. I'm glad to see that there is ladies that are posting about their experience with it----support group.
#29 of 43 Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM

dandelion root capsules and omega-3 fatty acids.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#30 of 43 Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 PM

i have puppps for the second pregnancy now. uggh. but at least this time i knew what it was before it got out of hand. now it only flares up when i space out on my regime.

primarily dandelion ROOT and burdock root tea - a strong decoction
b5 (pantothenic acid)
aloe gel on the belly (or other itchy places)

last time i tried everything. this time i stuck with aloe gel for the itching and it gives me immediate relief.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page