Mothering Forum banner

Are You Focused on Fitness During Pregnancy?

10K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  best11 
#1 ·
Monochrome Monochrome photography Black-and-white Picture frame Beard

"Maternity pictures are taking all forms these days, but one pregnant mama in Connecticut didn't want the flowy dress and garden setting. She wanted photos that showed her fitness journey throughout pregnancy." Pregnancy Doesn't Stop This Mama From Doing CrossFit
Are you focused on fitness during pregnancy?

Do you still exercise regularly?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm focused on doing what feels right and these days doing yoga feels right and the occasional walk around the neighborhood. I've never been heavily into fitness, though--I like to keep fit and feel good but "working out" and being hardcore about it doesn't resonate with me.
It has been many years since I have been pregnant, but even back then doctors told us that if we did it before pregnancy (exercise) we can do it during pregnancy. Our bodies seem to have a magical way of telling us what is right for our own bodies. I walked daily back then and still do today. It's my escape...

#4 ·
Yep! I'm a beachbody coach (currently doing Insanity and 21 Day Fix) and I'm also a runner. I'm listening to my body and definitely feeling the exhaustion, but trying to stay active. It's so important to keep up your activity levels when pregnant, as much as you can!

#9 ·
During each of my pregnancies, I did free weights, weightlifting, bicycling, walking, running, and the stationary Lifecycle level 6.

It did not make labor very easy, but I was able to endure labor and recovered very quickly! I was able to bicycle to the gym and do an exercise class hours after my second homebirth.

#10 ·
I completely lost interest in going to the gym when I found out I was pregnant, because the fatigue and morning sickness then cold/flu illness that followed was just so overwhelming. I barely got off the couch for 6 weeks. But after that I've made an effort to do some walking on most days, because I've heard that being fit and healthy can make for an easier labour (not sure if that's true, this is my first). I would just take it easy, and try not to overheat. Walking and swimming are recommended as good exercises during pregnancy.

#27 ·
Hey, it is true exercise and daily routine makes your pain easier, if you don't believe then you can make it sure using these two techniques:

1) First, you must ask your doctor and he/she will definitely give you approval on this.

2) If you want to feel in reality then you must visit to small villages where pregnant women also work during their pregnancy and after delivering a baby they will get up from bed in just a few hours, it will like nothing will happen.

I'm not saying that you must do like that but as you work your baby also move in your womb and it has also two benefits:

a) First is as your body moves your child also moves in your womb.

b) Second is due to work your mind will be active and your mind will forget the pain and continue with the work and your knowledge reaches to your son.

As you said you just wake up from illness then you must try Prenatal Yoga that not only gives you fitness but also helps you to get peace and relaxation. I hope it will be helpful to you.
:smile::smile:

#11 ·
Yeah I'm 18 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I exercise 5-6 days a week. Cardio, strength training, HIIT, kickboxing + more (though it's getting a little tougher now my bump is finally trying to make an appearance).

The key is to listen to your body. Don't push yourself to workout when you're tired or just plain don't feel like it. If something doesn't feel right, check your form or modify it to a lower intensity, and if it still doesn't feel right, give it a miss. It's that simple.

It varies from person to person, but for me, exercise has always made me feel much more at peace with myself, it puts my mind at ease, and that's a feeling I really need right now :dizzy :)

#12 ·
I would like to be. I have exercised consistently since I was a preteen. In the past couple years I've gotten into some new stuff like yoga and resistance/strength work which I am really enjoying. I'm hoping the yoga I've been doing will help with pregnancy and I hope to keep it up while I am pregnant.

I might start taking it a little easier though, depending upon what my body is telling me. I can go pretty hard sometimes which I'm sure is not necessary when pregnant. I probably don't need to be doing sprints or mile repeats after the first trimester, not like I will be training for anything anyway lol. I also do a lot of jumping/agility exercises which I might cut down on later on in pregnancy. Towards the end I'm thinking I'll go on long walks for cardio.

I will have to see how it all plays out. I could see morning sickness having a serious effect on my motivation. As it stands now I like working out in the morning so that may have to change. Overall I'd like to stay fit because I think it will make pregnancy and delivery and LIFE easier.

#15 ·
Lately, I've been feeling very self-conscious about the lack of exercise and the size I'm growing to but I guess as a first-time mother, this is something that's very common. I'm still learning :smile: I had a friend who was pregnant and did yoga but nah, I think that's too much for me!! I only go for walks in the evening with my hubby so at least I move around and keep active.

A friend of mine recommended that I got to a myotherapy practice to solve any sleeping problems I had but I was super hesitant about it. Because what the heck was that??? Turns out it helped me heaps in gaining back the confidence I needed to be mentally strong in my pregnancy. The pregnancy massage was divine. I'm not sure if it'll do the same for everyone else but I'll just leave the link here if anyone wants to go to it. It's called Adaptive Myotherapy - adaptmyotherapy.com.au

#16 ·
#17 ·
There are a lot of reasons and benefits of moving more during pregnancy. Some benefits are; labor and delivery may be easier (no guarantees of course), lowering your gestational diabetes risk, relieves pain, You may be less prone to morning sickness and many more.

Best activities for mom-to-be are walking, water exercise, prenatal Pilates, weight training and prenatal yoga.

#21 ·
I’m determined to stay more fit this time around. I gained 60lbs with my first baby, 50 with my second, and 70 with my third. I worked hard to lose it, well, to lose most of it, between each baby. I’m starting at about 8 lbs above the weight I was before I started having babies. I think gaining so much really made my third trimesters difficult. My goal this time is to actually only gain the recommended amount. I’m only 5 weeks along right now, but I’m trying for no weight gain in the 1st trimester, limiting it to 10 lbs in the 2nd trimester, and 15 lbs in the 3rd trimester. I already exercised daily before I got pregnant, and actually lost about 15 lbs in the last 2 months, just before getting pregnant. I’m definitely going to keep up with the dailyexercise. I was most physically active with my second pregnancy and that was my easiest pregnancy and childbirth.

Reactions: Nazsmum
#25 ·
Regular excercise is good for you, however I just listen to my body. If I feel too tired, I skip my walk or yoga and take a nap instead. 🙂
Sometimes I know I'm just being lazy and there is no excuse to stay in, so then I just try to motivate myself.
The most important thing is to not feel too guilty if you skip exercise sometimes. Just do what feels right. And that's different for everyone 😉

#29 ·
You are right!!Walking is one of the best cardiovascular exercises during pregnancy. It is a safe exercise to be done throughout nine months of pregnancy after the consultation with the doctor but don’t let morning sickness prevent you from walking.
Almost about 80% of pregnant women suffer from morning sickness and avoid treatment for morning sickness as it may harm the unborn child. Fortunately, PSI wrist bands provide a natural way to relieve morning sickness without taking drugs. It works on the principle of acupressure and applies continuous pressure on the P6 (or Nei-Kuan) point on each wrist.A recent study in America found that 70% of women who wore PSI wrist bands got relief from morning sickness. Try using PSI wrist bands for getting relief from morning sickness.

#30 ·
I'm just 8 weeks into my 3rd pregnancy, but with my first I had just started CrossFit about 6 months prior so I was able to continue with my workouts and just scaled back significantly. This time around I'm 9 years into CF, so I doubt I will have to scale back quite as much. So far not a whole lot has changed, as it's still really early in the Pg, but my midwife said as long as I go more with a "maintenance" than aiming to set personal records for myself, I should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.