Care Package Ideas for newly pg mama?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is pregnant! I could not be more excited. She is due in early March, so she is very newly pregnant (very strange coincidence--she got pg the exact same day that I did, only two years later!). It is an unplanned pregnancy, but a welcome surprise.

The only sad thing (for me) is that my sister lives 3,000 miles away

I want to send her a really nice "welcome to pregnancy" care package. This is her first baby, and she is planning a homebirth. Does anyone have any book recommendations? Or ideas for anything else that would be nice to have in early pg? She has been the BEST aunt to my boys, and I want to get started early!

I am thinking of sending her my copies of "Birthing From Within" and "Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth." I would love to hear any and all suggestions from you pregnant mamas!

TIA!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 03:23 PM

I think your book ideas are good ones- I have totally enjoyed both of them.

My suggestions would be some red raspberry leaf and nettle teas, and some nice body butter or vitamin E.
#3 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 03:31 PM

body pampering stuff sounds good! since she's heading into the morning sickness zone, maybe some candied ginger for a nausea-beating treat.

other ideas - a pregnancy journal, a pregnancy magazine subscription, or a book on pregnancy so she can come to grips with her unexpected adventure!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#4 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 PM

My parents sent me two things when I got pregnant with # 1

a godiva chocolates package that was divine

and a package of steaks from Omaha steaks- just the things for a preggo mom with severe morning sickness. LOL. Every time I would thaw one to cook, I'd end up having to throw it away b/c I couldn't stand the smell.

The books are a great idea. Everyone always gives you What to Expect (which should be titled "how to be a good little patient")

http://jacksmagicbeanstalk.com/store/ has pregnancy gift baskets that might give you some ideas.
#5 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 03:54 PM

I sent out a few of these to friends a few months ago. All were already experiencing morning sickness so that was the focus. Candied ginger, crystalized ginger (found a company, I think called the ginger people - they make everything), organic peppermint tea (good for soothing tummies). I also sent out different books depending on whether or not this was their first pregnancy. A friend of mine, who is not at all "natural" but I'm always hoping, love the Sears Pregnancy Book I sent. A few of the others were too . . . um . . . Basically I like to load them up with all the anti-what to expect that I can.

I love the idea of good body butters, I hadn't thought of that. Oh and the raspberry leaf tea idea is great too!
#6 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM

How about some soothing bath salts and a breastfeeding book. I like "So that's what they're for" esp for parents that aren't quite sure or The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

Congrats on being an Auntie to be!
#7 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Something I've been meaning to get for myself - also newly preg - is a scrapbook type thing for all the congrats cards & letters. And I like the preg. journal idea too - been meaning to start one. Since you've had kids, maybe you could throw in a few questions of your own to get her thinking about what to write.
#8 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 02:26 PM

I have several books that I am thankful for, for their good information, but I LOVE this book:

The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices
by Aviva Jill Romm

It is very easy to read, doesn't have a medical feel to it at all and is very good for mothers and fathers that want to be 'in touch' with their baby throughout the pregnancy. I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details Mine has a different cover though...(shades of beige with a cute pregnant lady on it with dark, curly hair.)

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 02:26 PM

Books! Books! Books! I remember as a newly pg mama with #1 I just wanted to absorb as much info as possible and read all the time! It is nice she is already planning a homebirth and has you to steer her in the right direction.

Pregnancy teas

massagers

cocoa butter

a couple cute maternity shirts that are her style and appropriate for the season when she will be big pregnant

journal

Love from you, dp and the boys

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#10 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 04:28 PM

Beautiful Belly Balm from www.wiseways.com

Feels yummy, smells yummy......mmmmm!
#11 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_girl
The books are a great idea. Everyone always gives you What to Expect (which should be titled "how to be a good little patient")
Or how to make you paranoid your baby will be defective if you don't follow EXACTLY their diet. I hate that book. :LOL

Another great book is The Thinking Woman`s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.

There are several really good Sears's books at overstock.com. The Pregnancy Book, the Breastfeeding Book and of course the true standard the Baby Book. I find that overstock is cheaper than Amazon a lot and has flat rate shipping of $2.95 which is awesome for books.

Preggie Pops. They help with morning sickness. Word of warning DO NOT type PreggO Pops into google... : :

Definitely some bath stuff, lotions and body pampering. Just be sure to go low scent. You never know what smells might trigger m/s.

Chocolate is always good too.

ETA: Ooops! To change the Preggie Pop to PreggO pops... that's the one you want to avoid. My poor wittle eyes.
#12 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
Preggie Pops. They help with morning sickness. Word of warning DO NOT type Preggie Pops into google... : :
I can only imagine!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses!

I am sending some books and RRL Tea. Also, I made her a journal, and I cut out the drawings from "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," and pasted them in. When I was pg, I LOVED looking at how the babies were changing every week, but the written information in that book was awful! So, I had no trouble cutting it up!

Thanks again!

Auntie-to-be

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page