low blood pressure, natural solutions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-05-2004, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 12 weeks today, and at my appointment this morning I asked for them to take my blood pressure because I've been having headaches all the time. It's 80 over 50. My blood pressure is normally on the low side, but this is too low and I'm feeling crappy.
I don't want to take medication for it.

Has anyone experienced this or have any info for me?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-05-2004, 10:55 AM

Experienced it, been to multiple doctors and a cardiologist, and got no answers other than increasing fluid intake. Considering I already drink more than a gallon of water a day, that's not really viable! But I can commisserate; my blood pressure is so low that there are times I have to stop and take breaks when I'm walking down the hall. I can't go anywhere alone with my son for fear I'll pass out.

(And if one more doctor says "aren't you lucky you don't have high blood pressure!" I may throttle him/her!)

Hope someone has some advice for us!
#3 of 10 Old 07-06-2004, 01:30 PM

I have low blood pressure also. My doctor said to eat more salt. I find that when I am feeling weak and faint, if I eat something salty I feel better almost immediately, especially in the hot months. I've even been known to sprinkle salt on my palm and lick it off. Drinking lots and lots of water is important too. The goal is to avoid hypovolemia (low blood volume). Drinking lots and eating salt will allow your blood volume to increase as it's suppose to during pregnancy.

Here's a link to something called neurally mediated hypotension:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mecfs/general/nmh1.html
#4 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 11:46 AM

I was feeling off, light-headed, etc so I asked my mom to take my b/p and it was 100/60. Normally I am 117/70-something. I tend to have low b/p during pg., why, I have NO idea. I drink alot of water and crave salt(and eat it) I'll have to check out that article...
#5 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One way to increase blood pressure is to drink a (mildly) caffeinated beverage like tea or whatever. It seems that up to 2 cups a day or coffee is safe (in a medical model kinda way...but make your own mind up).

On the other hand, low blood pressure is good for placental perfusion, but bad for your head if you pass out and conk it!

Carolynn
#6 of 10 Old 07-07-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofumama
I was feeling off, light-headed, etc so I asked my mom to take my b/p and it was 100/60. Normally I am 117/70-something. I tend to have low b/p during pg., why, I have NO idea. I drink alot of water and crave salt(and eat it) I'll have to check out that article...
BP typically goes down after early pregnancy and then starts creeping back up to your normal level starting mid-way through. i'm enjoying the benefits of that right now, having gone from 135/85 down to 110/70 for the 1st half of pregnancy at least!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2004, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm glad to hear that it's good for placental perfusion. All along I was wondering if it wasn't "bad" for the baby.

I've been drinking gatorade (full of junk!) but it's the only thing that goes down easily and makes me feel better.
#8 of 10 Old 07-08-2004, 09:27 AM

110/70 is about my norm, too. If feeling lightheaded I drink and eat something, but medically, from what I understand from both my midwife and GP f-i-l, other than annoying light headedness, there are no bad effects of lbp; it's a good thing.

So, I'll just keep on salting my food and go merrily along my way, making sure not to get up too fast! ; )
#9 of 10 Old 07-08-2004, 11:59 AM

I'm so glad I found this thread. My bp is always low. In fact, a number of times when I went to one of those fancy machines at the pharmacy, it asked me to do it over again :LOL

I am so freakin' dizzy. My iron is a tad low too, so I've been taking yellow dock root ( ), and really upping my leafy greens now that I can eat them, and I was thinking it was all iron related. (I'm 18w) In fact, I was at the MWs the other day and I was laying on my back to hear the hb w/the fetoscope and when I got up, I was so dizzy and actually had spots in front of my eyes. I mentioned it to her, and she was not at all concerned. I mean, I'm obviously not preeclamptic or anything.

The big or rather annoying problem, is that I constantly have to sit down. And if I get up too quickly, down I go. I'm not fainting or anything, I just need to sit on the floor to get myself together.

Another weird symptom, curious if anyone is experiencing this, I'm frequently out of breath. Am I just out of shape or is this related too??

My first pregnancy was not at all like this-----DAMN THIS HEALTHY DIET!! :
#10 of 10 Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 PM

The out of breath thing is more just a preggers thing than a bp thing, I believe. You're at the point where your blood volume expands exponentially, and your body hasn't adjusted yet. I think that will get better gradually. It did for me. Get better, but not go away!

User Tag List