"WHAT?!?!" Those Things Nobody Warns You About.... - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 354 Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceoc View Post
Afterpains!!!!! I had this wonderful, all-natural waterbirth with virtually no-pain and then about DIED from the afterpains. I couldn't even nurse because everytime she would nurse the pain was UNBEARABLE and I would just break down in tears. This lasted for almost 2 days (until I got some STRONG meds!) I would have given birth 10x's over rather then deal with the afterpains.
A kindred spirit!!!

That was my experience exactly, and nobody warned me at ALL

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#302 of 354 Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
a placenta is HUGE and kind of horrific. take a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcolorado View Post
Another is how long your "racing stripe" (linea nigra) may linger, if you are so *lucky* to develop one when pregnant.
I loved my linea nigra. My hubby thought it was sexy. Unfortunately, it never came back as darkly in subsequent pregnancies as it was in my first.

Oh, my dd did get a linea nigra for a while after birth.

I was surprised, during my hospital birth, that the nurse walked into the bathroom with me to watch and make sure I peed. Uhm, I'm far more likely to not be able to pee if you're standing there watching me!

Afterpains were a surprise for me, too. They were almost nonexistant after my first, and soooooo painful after my second. I kept liquid calcium and magnesium on hand after my third, and it helped a little, but still, yeouch.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#303 of 354 Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Yes, pooping (and even diarrhea!) during the pushing process would have been good to know.
#304 of 354 Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM

subbing

glad i didn't read this until AFTER i got pregnant, or i might not have done it

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#305 of 354 Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM

pooping during labor and pushing surprised me as well and I passed one almost tennis ball sized clot after and somehow missed knowing that that could happen!

(And, I DID get up a take a shower after my first birth - over 30 hours of labor- but I was 100% energy afterwards and no pains)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#306 of 354 Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 PM

1. I really wished that I had known that you could pass clots the size of golf balls or larger. I screamed like a banshee when I passed a large clot. I panicked and called for dh to bring me the phone immediately. Then I called the doctor's office answering service and had them page the doctor. I thought that I was hemorraghing and was about to die. The doctor on call was a stranger and a male to boot. I was mortified explaining what had happened to him. He was able to tell me that it was normal. Why didn't any of the books mention this. I almost called 911. Seriously.
2. I wish I had known that ds would nurse for eight hours straight. I was so sore. I wish I had brought the lanosh to the hospital and a pacifier. They didn't have any pacifiers at the hospital.
3. I wish that I had heard of babies who nurse for 30-40 minutes on each said per breast at every feeding. The books I read made it seem like it would be for 20 minutes max.

Shanese mom of 2ds
#307 of 354 Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 PM

that someone had told me that there are 2 sacs and that one can break without leading to labor (the chorion) and that it can break without risk of infection. I thought I had the most sure sign ever, wed eve.
but alas - I am still preggie
#308 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 AM

I read so much about pregnancy, that I didn't really know what would happen after the birth process, especially if I had a c-section. Well, I ended up having a c-section which destroyed me emotionally. I wish I had paid more attention to what could happen in the event I had a c-section. I was really surprised that I bled so much after. I would have expected it had I delivered vaginally. At some point, I decided I'd stand while the nurse was changing out my sheets and bed pad because they were all soaked in blood (eew...sorry!) and imagine my horror when my husband started getting pale and I looked down to see blood dripping down my leg and onto the floor. And I even had a pad and that lovely disposable panty on!

Oh, I also wasn't prepared for the uncontrollable shaking after the surgery. The whole surgery and hour or two after is pretty foggy but I remember shaking so hard my teeth were hurting from clanking together.
#309 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 02:13 AM

I wish someone told me that during my first trimester my hair would fall out a bit and stop growing. Or maybe it was just because I was so malnourished from the m/s. I dunno. And the gas was horrendous, too. SOO MUCH GAS! Also, no one told me that I'd be peeing every 15 minutes in my last trimester because the baby is laying on my bladder. Seriously, as I am finishing up peeing I feel like I have to pee again! How is that even physically possible?

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#310 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandasMom View Post
The most embarrassing thing for me was having to have nurses change my pad and the pad on my bed because I bled so heavily after. After I was able to stand (had CS), i would overflow the pad and bled on the floor and down my leg and gawd it is so humiliating to have someone clean me and the mess i made up. I even made DH look away.
.. that happened to me to!

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

#311 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 AM

I wish someone would have told me how utterly painful a c/sec could be...

1. like I just said.. the bleeding was outrageous
2. when I was on the table.. I couldnt feel myself breathe because the anesthesia went really high up on my body... not fun!
3. I couldnt get out of my bed by myself until the third day... and the one nurse that was always there during the day was a b*tch.
4.I wish someone told me the morphine makes your face itch like CRAZY!!

I know I got more
I'm VBACing next time.. damn it!

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

#312 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska View Post
Yeah - the shaking after giving birth thing. That caught me totally by surprise.
And then those nurses wanted me to get up and go have a SHOWER!!!!! I couldn't believe that anyone expected me to move anywhere under my own power after giving birth for the first time (second and subsequent times around were much better!).

It's crazy how much shaking your body does hunh?!?! :

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#313 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiko View Post
Seriously, as I am finishing up peeing I feel like I have to pee again! How is that even physically possible?

I'm sorry. I'm not laughing at you. It's more of a BTDT laugh.

I remember going to a concert at Red Rocks 10 days before DD was born. For those of you who have never been to Red Rocks, imagine one giant staircase with a stage . There are sooooo many stairs and I had to pee every 5 minutes : . Plus I could feel water squishing around in my feet and they were so swollen I couldn't even wear shoes .
#314 of 354 Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 PM

The allergies!!! I am sitting here at 5.5 months in a mountain of kleenex. It's as bad as the constant peeing in the 1st trimester. I love my kitties, but I find myself looking around at them trying to decide which ones I could part with. Poor guys!:
I went to a prenatal support group last week, and all the first time moms were curious about the afterbirth. No one really ever talk about that, so we're all wondering how long it takes, what it feels like, do you even care because you have your baby by then, etc?
#315 of 354 Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM

Bumping this! I like this thread!

#316 of 354 Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Dunno if it's just me, but since I got pregnant, I have these WILD sex dreams, but really NO urge for hubby...??
#317 of 354 Old 03-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlasher View Post
Attention/flirting from other men.

It has increased by by 300% since I started showing. :LOL NO ONE warned me about that one.

YES!! omg, who would have thought that just being pregnant was a turn-on. I couldn't keep them away with a flyswatter. but it went away right after birth.
bryanna
#318 of 354 Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I'm only 5-6 weeks along, but so far, nobody told me about the GAS... OMG.

I am coming up with the most creative excuses to leave the room at work. I visit the bathroom so much (to toot as much as to pee!) that my coworkers think I have a UTI. I feel like I have elephant-sized gas inside me.
+++++
I tasted the infant simethicone out of desperation, and low and behold the gas went away. 0.6ml dose and you'll feel so much better.
love and light,
Bryanna
#319 of 354 Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannastreasure View Post
+++++
I tasted the infant simethicone out of desperation, and low and behold the gas went away. 0.6ml dose and you'll feel so much better.
love and light,
Bryanna
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try it! Right now I feel better as far as that goes, it's amazing the day-to-day differences. But I'm sure it will come back-- probably Monday at work! I'll try to be prepared!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#320 of 354 Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM

bump:
#321 of 354 Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

...ack...my thread is coming back again!!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#322 of 354 Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 PM

Great thread! I think most of the stuff I would say has been covered-- the afterpains, exactly how much you can bleed after the birth, etc. Here's an unusual one though:

If you have to have a c-section...they have a standard height for that surgical drape. You may want to have them adjust it if your partner/birth support person is tall. Thankfully, my dh is not squeamish and thought it was "cool" to see all my internal organs.
#323 of 354 Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceoc View Post
Afterpains!!!!! I had this wonderful, all-natural waterbirth with virtually no-pain and then about DIED from the afterpains. I couldn't even nurse because everytime she would nurse the pain was UNBEARABLE and I would just break down in tears. This lasted for almost 2 days (until I got some STRONG meds!) I would have given birth 10x's over rather then deal with the afterpains.
This is the ONE thing that I have to agree with is the after pains especially while nursing but the worst is when they check your uterus right after birth to make sure it is contracting and starting to go back to its original size ..It is like torture. Having them push on a muscle that just did all that work !! That is the one thing I tell people it hurts like hell!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#324 of 354 Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM

No one ever told me that I would be unable to actually breathe during intense contractions. It was almost as if my diaphram were frozen and I tried so hard to breathe. This is usually how I know I'm starting transition.
Maybe noone told me because noone else has this happen : .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#325 of 354 Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameThatMama View Post
I should clarify... page 256 (fourth edition) Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth, Kitzinger wrote: "Having contractions every five minutes can be tiring ... [blahblah] ... But the baby cannot possibly be born when contractions are coming this far apart." Per Kitzinger, my 11-week-old should still be inside me. My contractions were never regularly closer than 5 minutes apart. She also writes that they're usually 15-30 seconds, but most of mine were at least a minute, frequently two.
This happened to a friend of mine who just delivered. Her contractions never less than five minutes, but they were each TWO MINUTES long. The midwife said she'd never seen a labor pattern like that in 30 years of deliveries.

I love this thread. I think I read it before I ever got pregnant, and for me it is so comforting to feel prepared for all the wacky stuff no one tells you about, especially now that I could be giving birth any day now!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#326 of 354 Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Wow. My contractions are mostly a minute as well and frequently two.
15-30 second contractions~~~ hmmm....

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#327 of 354 Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
I wish someone had told me that pushing wasn't always a relief, and that it didn't always take 15 minutes. I hated pushing more than anything, and I pushed for over 3 hours.

I wish someone had told me that it was going to feel like I had just pushed the baby out of my butt, not my vagina!
All of that and the baby girl having her mini period. That freaked me out.

Oh and all of those who said you'll forget the pain as soon as the baby is out LIED to me. I will never forget that pain. EVER. And I was sure to tell my mother that as soon as DD finally came out.
#328 of 354 Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM

I just read this whole tread, and I swear it was better than any pregnancy book I've ever read.

I laughed so much, and learnt alot. Now, I wonder if I can get DF to read some of this....

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#329 of 354 Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea View Post
My "Wish I Knew"s are all post-birth... I wish someone had told me about some of the minor but extremely irritating complications of giving birth. The two that still plague me are a seperated pubic bone (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) and... well, this one is gross, and there's no delicate way to put it. Anal fissure. Augh.

:
Hey don't be embarassed. I have had that twice, but have been given cortisone suppositories and loaxatives and they healed up and never came back. You might ask your midwife or OBGYN. With the last baby I called her and said, hey cna you give me some of those???

#330 of 354 Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I craved coconuts during my first pregnancy. and coconut syrup.

My baby will be twenty-seven next month. She drinks only coconut milk because she likes it better than any milk or fruit or nut juice.

OTOH, I drank quarts of buttermilk during my last pregnancy, and my fifteen year old hates buttermilk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page