"WHAT?!?!" Those Things Nobody Warns You About.... - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 354 Old 09-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a great thread for first time pregnancies!

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 354 Old 09-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I didn't know anything about sciatica. And if I had heard about it, I never would have believed it could be this bad. There's a pretty good chance I won't want to have any more children after this because of it. :

DD1 6 1/2 DD2 9/20/14 (18 weeks)
#333 of 354 Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yes, sciatica.

I had it extremely bad with my second baby, and a cold and sneezing to boot. I rode a bicycle throughout the pregnancy so I could get some exercise. It helped during the posterior, deflexed head, ascynclitism labor at home.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#334 of 354 Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori View Post
Not exactly pregnancy/birth but...

Would have been nice if someone had mentioned that after the first week the baby's skin will peel like a snake.

Talk about scare a couple of newbie parents with the great mottling newborn. :LOL :LOL

I'll have to think about the others. I know the list was long the first time. :LOL :LOL
Oh god! I forgot about that! I wish someone had told me! I thought something was wrong with her skin!
#335 of 354 Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 AM

I don't know if this was said but I would say no one told me that there was such a thing as back labor and how horrible it is. I think it is worse than regular labor. Stronger period cramps, yeah right! More like being stabbed with a hot knife in your back.

The other would be the pain you get when you first start to nurse, I believe it's the uterus contracting everytime the baby sucks.

Just two more wonderful things I have to look forward to again. Good to know now!!! And all worth it!!!
#336 of 354 Old 09-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenB View Post
I didn't know anything about sciatica. And if I had heard about it, I never would have believed it could be this bad. There's a pretty good chance I won't want to have any more children after this because of it. :
With my third, I was literally incapacitated by sciatic nerve pain. Physical therapy did WONDERS for me but I was having such a horrible time... it was like having a migraine in my ass. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#337 of 354 Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM

OMG! This is my first and you guys are scaring me but I'm sure it's all worth it in the end ........... rigggggggggggggght!??!?!

hola.gif
#338 of 354 Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 PM

My first pregnancy, labor, and delivery are the stuff of horror stories. My firstborn child is one of the most amazing human beings I've ever known. It's SO worth it.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#339 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 AM

So glad I read this thread before giving birth. I think I was prepared for all the weirdness and wonder, as much as you can be!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#340 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dalai_mama View Post
The fact that after years of breastfeeding your breasts can actually end up smaller than they were originally (not a happy prospect for a barely "B" cup).

But it's all worth it!
I was a A cup before I got pregnant and now I'm a B or C and your telling me these "bad boys" are going to go away.................. OH NO!:

hola.gif
#341 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Pregnancy:
- Moles, like WOAH! There is one on my head that is now the size of a raisin, and it's flesh coloured. My hair is baby fine to begin with, and it's rather visible I do hope it goes away after.

- I forgot about this the last time, but my hoo-hoo is HUGE The midwife said that the whole pelvic area gets vascular, but whoa!

PostPartum:
- Sweat! I feared DD would drown in my sweat at night - I think all of the water weight I had during pregnancy just flew out of my pores and I would wake up in puddles.

- Sex can be painful during pregnancy and FAR after the magical 6 week PP mark. I think it took until about a year PP before sex didn't hurt. it didn't get actually enjoyable until about 2 years pp, then I went and got pregnant again :P

- Hair loss. Oh boy. I have baby fine hair to begin with, and I ended up with bald patches. It didn't just end at 3 months PP,. it would go in 3 month cycles , and fall out in hand fulls.
#342 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM

post-partum
I had no idea of the intensity of those bonding hormones. Sitting there just bawling my head off and hurting with love for this little thing that was only an idea just days before.

And let-down! I had no idea my breasts would start leaking any time I heard any baby cry. Trips to Target become an adventure!
#343 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

I wish I had known:
* That I would, indeed, hate being naked in front of people--everyone says that during labor you won't care, but I did, very much;
* That not every mama can make enough milk. I know, I know--mainstream people give up on breastfeeding too easily, yada yada yada. Well, apparently I have IGT, but I didn't know, and my baby lost a LOT of weight while I was going from LC to LC, nursing all the time, holding my screaming (i.e. hungry) baby all the time, etc. I really wish that someone had said to me, "There are a few exceptions to the "everyone can breastfeed exclusively" rule; let's think about whether your situation might be one of these and what we can do." My baby went hungry for a long time and I would not do that again.

(And by the way--in case you're wondering--I didn't give up on breastfeeding completely. But we always needed to feed formula too, and I firmly believe that she really did need it. My supply never came up, not at all.)
#344 of 354 Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 PM

That being in labor to me felt like I was having IBS and it made me want to deliver my baby on the toilet.

That right after birthing, when they handed me the baby it was OK to feel a bit detached, overwhealmed, and not necessarily instantly bonded to my baby. And that despite that experience, I would fall maddly, deeply in love with her within days.

Post partum.....that the hunger during early BF was so intense I became a demanding, hormonal, feeding maniac and dh was fetching all sorts of late night feeding props for me while I nursed (like, I NEED fresh strawberries and yogurt at 3am). And that this never happened to me during pregnancy so it was quite unexpected.

That a ductal yeast infection is far more painful than any labor related experience, and that many medical providers aren't informed about symptoms or treatment.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#345 of 354 Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM

My first surprise came after I was first starting to show. After haivng an orgasm, my uterus just stood at attention. I thought I was going into preterm labor or something! I know your uterus is a muscle and contracts after orgasm, but I've never been able to see it in action. The firmness and distention had me totally freaked. No pain or anything with it though- thank goodness, Buuut- I kinda wish I had been warned that that could happen!

- expecting first in April
#346 of 354 Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM

Nobody told me what a fourth degree tear was, or that it was even possible, until I got one.

Nobody told me I would willingly and happily take castor oil after three days of hospital food, no bm, and lots of stitches. I was actually thrilled to have diarrhea (tmi- sorry).

Noone told me about the super ugly and uncomfortable varicose veins in the privates.

Oh man, I could go on and on. There have been lots of surprises. This is fun to read though while starting my last trimester. Ah, memories...
#347 of 354 Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM

FWIW, I had no poop/puking with my labor at all. Actually, right before I went into labor (or when it first started) I thought I had the flu, because I had the runs so bad, but after I got it all out, there was nothing to worry about.

I guess what surprised me the most is having contractions 6 weeks postpartum after finally having sex again!!! I was like.... this isn't pleasant...
#348 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 02:29 PM

This is baby number 5 and I've NEVER had hip pain like this before. I guess what has surprised me most is how different each and every pregnancy has been. It seems like there has always been something that hurts with each one. With the previous pregnancy I had kidney stones something awful and ended up having surgery on my left kidney after I had that baby. I just hope my hips go back to normal!!
#349 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM

dont know if its been mentioned but no one warned me that the baby kicks internally... you always think of it kicking outward but when I felt this at first boy was it totally different
#350 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
I wish I had known:
* That I would, indeed, hate being naked in front of people--everyone says that during labor you won't care, but I did, very much;
I'm glad you posted this because I am about 7 weeks and have always felt that I would prefer to birth with just me and DH because I just would not feel comfortable having my family see me naked or see my vagina. I was just thinking the other day "Well maybe it would be nice to do the whole family thing" but I really think it would make me very uncomfortable, and hinder the process.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#351 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Even if I felt comfortable about being naked in front of ds and dd's partner, I'm afraid that would be a deal-breaker for them so they will not be at the birth, although I'm hoping I'll want them around during the very early stages of labour and that they will want to be there.

Just a sad reality of having teenaged boys. YMMV and I hope it does.
#352 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsizemore View Post
This is baby number 5 and I've NEVER had hip pain like this before. I guess what has surprised me most is how different each and every pregnancy has been. It seems like there has always been something that hurts with each one. With the previous pregnancy I had kidney stones something awful and ended up having surgery on my left kidney after I had that baby. I just hope my hips go back to normal!!
I was going to post this as my own, but I think you touched on it. I haven't been able to read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I never knew about symphisis pubis dysfunction (sp). Extreme pain in your pelvis area from a misalignment. It can cause you pain to walk, lift your legs to put pants on, turn over in bed, freeze up when you start to walk after being still for awhile. I knew something was up with this pregnancy because I didn't have this with DD. It's much worse than your regular aches and pains in pregnancy and my hips and joints and killing me!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#353 of 354 Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeblebrox View Post
I was going to post this as my own, but I think you touched on it. I haven't been able to read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I never knew about symphisis pubis dysfunction (sp). Extreme pain in your pelvis area from a misalignment. It can cause you pain to walk, lift your legs to put pants on, turn over in bed, freeze up when you start to walk after being still for awhile. I knew something was up with this pregnancy because I didn't have this with DD. It's much worse than your regular aches and pains in pregnancy and my hips and joints and killing me!
I KNOW!! I can't believe how painful and uncomfortable this has become. Thank GOD I only have to make it until Tuesday. I have no idea what the recovery of this is. I can only hope that once the baby is out my body will go back to normal and I won't have to deal with this pain any longer.
#354 of 354 Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I can't believe my thread is still going...over THREE YEARS LATER!!!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page