Bradley pregnancy diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cross-posted this in nutrition...

For those of you who teach and have taken Bradley, what do you think of their pregnancy diet? I'm pretty sure I'm going to certify to teach, but the diet strikes me as a little strange...especially the 4 servings of dairy products...do they just mean any protein?

also, i've heard that high-protein diets aren't necessarily the best thing. anybody have opinions/links they can share?

thanks!

~ Belinda, single 35 yr old WAHM to two super-cute DDs 8/17/03 and 1/27/07 heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 09:03 PM

My midwives gave me the sheet with the Bradley diet, but said to cut down on the protein. They recommend that I try to get as much of the rest of it as I can.

I think the dairy is really for the protein.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 07-13-2004, 09:32 PM

I'm provisionally affiliated as a Bradley instructor, as well as pregnant myself. Protein is very crucial for your growing baby. Dairy (especially raw, from grass-fed animals) has many plusses, such as calcium, good fats, protein.

Check out http://www.westonaprice.org for more information about why milk's so great for you. They also have their own pregnancy diet that is remarkably similar to Brewer's diet.

Just in case you hadn't already checked there, try browsing: http://www.blueribbonbaby.org
for more info about the Brewer Pregnancy Diet. Dr. Brewer also has written a book, The Brewer Medical Diet for Normal and High-Risk Pregnancy.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 07-13-2004, 11:16 PM

woah. raw dairy? this is one of the things i've been avoiding! i love raw milk, grew up on it (in fact, my mom used to give it to my brother when he was a baby and stopped nursing), but i understood that the increased risk of bacterial contamination meant that raw milk, cream and cheese should be avoided during pregnancy. i couldn't find anything specifically addressing pregnancy in the link you gave below, but i'd be really interested in any information you have on the subject!

thanks,
*jennifer
Old 07-13-2004, 11:45 PM

jecaly - here is some info:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html

I couldn't find the info that specifically counters the common belief that raw milk is unsafe for pregnant women...but the more you read about raw milk (eg Ron Schmid's The Untold Story of Milk), the more it makes sense to enjoy such a nutritional treasure, esp during pregnancy. The key is to know where it comes from.

And I can't help but think of all the European women who consume soft cheeses, made from raw milk...

Personally I am so thankful that despite it being illegal where I live, I have access to raw milk from organic, pastured cows. I trust it.

In the end - you must do what you feel is right, so if drinking raw dairy stresses you out, it's not a good solution.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:03 AM

I am taking the Bradley classes for the 2nd time. I like a lot of what the class offers, but the high protein diet just doesn't seem right to me! I feel best when I have around 60g a day - not 80-100!! When I get the Bradley amount of protein (80-100), I feel sluggish and just not right. I think part of the problem is that we can only consume a certain amount of food and calories in a day and be healthy. In order to get all that protein in, we might neglect other really healthy, but low protein things - like fruits and veggies!

My midwife and I had a big talk about this yesterday. She is opposed to the Bradley diet and I tend to agree with her. A piece of chicken or some eggs are great, but bring on the produce!!!

(I go back to my 2nd class tonight and am afraid of what my instructor will say to all of this. She's my sister!!)
Old 07-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Try some of these links:

Diet for pregnant and nursing mothers:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html

Detailed info on raw milk:
http://www.realmilk.com

List of articles related to raw milk:
http://www.realmilk.com/indexpage.html

In regards to Nancy's concern...the Brewer diet recommends 1-2 servings of meat protein per day, plus 2 eggs. Not overboard, in my opinion. In terms of produce, a daily recommendation of 1-2 servings of fresh leafy greens, yellow/orange veggies 5x/week, and daily intake of various fruits/veggies are recommended. I agree that produce is important!

Not much time now...sorry if I've neglected any questions. Throw more my way, if you wish. I'm not an expert, just a concerned childbirth educator!

Here's to healthy babies for all!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 07-14-2004, 03:12 PM

I don't have the info right now so someone correct me please but I thought a high protein diet during pregnancy was to help deter pre-eclampsia. I remember that from last preg. amd remember my midwife talking about it, too. Anyone have info about this?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLaughs
I don't have the info right now so someone correct me please but I thought a high protein diet during pregnancy was to help deter pre-eclampsia. I remember that from last preg. amd remember my midwife talking about it, too. Anyone have info about this?
it is, but i wonder if "high protein" is a misleading term. it seems that high-anything would be bad. aren't high protein diets the cause of gout or thyroid problems or something? anyhow, i'm trying to figure out if the bradley diet is high-protein or just balanced and very rigid-looking to provide a guideline for those who don't necessarily eat well to begin with. but the dairy thing really baffles me (still need to read those links).

judith goldsmith in "childbirth wisdom from the world's oldest societies" says that traditional cultures diets, during pregnancy and otherwise, were low in animal protein and dairy products and high in complex carbs, legumes, fresh fruits and veg. eating a balanced diet of these (and limiting processed foods, sweets, and other "modern" foods) would ensure adequate protein intake.

i guess what i'm saying that a diet of oreos and burgers may not help w/ pre-eclampsia, but a balanced diet might. more later, cranky babe...

~ Belinda, single 35 yr old WAHM to two super-cute DDs 8/17/03 and 1/27/07 heartbeat.gif
Old 07-14-2004, 11:50 PM

As a former Bradley instructor, I have a problem with the dairy also. So many people are allergic and/or intolerant. I addressed my concerns to Marjorie (one of the Bradley Method founders) and she said the diet emphasied dairy simply because it is a cheap, easy way to get protein.

If you write down everything you eat and count up the grams of protein, you may find that you are getting alot more than you think. A slice of whole wheat bread has around 5 grams. Even some fruits and veggies have some protein. It all adds up.

Check out www.blueribbonbaby.com for more information on the Brewer diet.

Kim
Old 07-15-2004, 12:07 AM

I was told to get 70g of protein per day minimum. I did a lot of that in milk b/c I craved it and that's happening again this time. Nuts and Beans have a lot of protein and fiber in them too.

I have been told multiple times that the calcium in Cow Milk isn't readily absorbable in humans and I took Tums for calcium last time.

Hmmmm... I am not a fan of meat of any kind during pregnancy. It just makes me I L L! Blech

User Tag List