Alfalfa capsules safety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2004, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a post partum hemmorhage last time after I gave birth and I've heard that taking alfalfa during the last couple months of pregnancy can help increase vitamin k and possibly help reduce the risk of another hemmorhage. Anyway, I've been taking it (3 capsules) a day for a couple weeks now. Recently though, I read on some website that alfalfa can have an estrogenic effect and is not recommeded for pregnant/nursing women. Has anybody heard of this or taken alfalfa during their pregnancy? This has kind of got me worried now. My midwife said it was okay, but I keep wondering if it really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 06:49 PM

I only have personal experience to relate. I took alfalfa 3x a day during my first pregnancy and didn't have any problems with it. I've never heard or read anything about it being bad/forbidden for pregnant/nursing woen

What was the source of your info? Most everything will say that it's not recommeded for use by pregnant women because of legal ramifications...

If you find any other information to share please do so.

Take Care
Old 07-23-2004, 07:42 PM

Well my mw has told me to take 6-9 capsules a day and have it upped to about 12-15 getting closer to birth.....I trust her - but haven't done my own research. So I am interested to see what others have to say.....

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

All I did was google "alfalfa pregnancy safety" and looked throught the websites that came up. Here's a couple that recommeded against its use during pregnancy/nursing:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent

http://www.healingpeople.com/hp_html...b/pg000495.htm

I'm not sure what to think... the capsules I take just use the leaf of the plant. I also looked it up in Susan Weed's herb book for childbearing, but it talks mostly about drinking alfalfa tea and not taking a concentrated version of it.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:23 AM

I read a study once a long time ago that alfalfa had some weird effect on monkeys ( Sorry, I can't remember what the effect was) after a long, long period of time and given at very high doses.

I took alfalfa capsules during my last pregnancie in lieu of Vit K and it was fine. I didn't hemorrage either and had a pretty big one with my first. Alfalfa is pretty benign. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are you can take liquid clorophyll instead. It does the same thing.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just thought I'd put up the link for another site that talks about alfafa. This one is from Shonda Parker.

http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/archive3.htm

I wish I could find some kind of study that says alfafa is completely safe to take during pregnancy, but I haven't been able to. If anyone comes across something I'd love to see it. I'd like to continue taking the alfafa, but I have to admit this whole estrogenic effect even if it's mild is making me nervous. Particularly since I'm carrying a boy. I think I'm just going to start drinking more nettle tea. I know that also has vitamin K. I did try looking up chloryphyll and pregnancy safety and I couldn't find any studies on it's safety either way.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:36 AM

I've been drinking the pregnancy tea by Traditional Medicinals, and adding a baggie of the Nettles tea and a baggie of Peppermint, and just making a gallon of iced tea a day. My mw told me yesterday that the alfalfa does not cross the placenta, so it won't do anygood for the hemoraging issues that you might have for the baby, but when taken while breastfeeding, it will pass thru to baby thru your milk. I am thinking i might forego the vit k shot by beefing up my intake of the alfalfa and chlorophyll right after baby comes.

HTH

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
Old 07-26-2004, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfactory
My mw told me yesterday that the alfalfa does not cross the placenta, so it won't do anygood for the hemoraging issues that you might have for the baby,
HTH
This doesn't make any sense. Generally, a pp hemorage is because you essentially have a big gaping wound inside your uterus where the placenta has detached, or partially detached. So the fact that it doesn't cross the placental barrier is kinda irrelavnt. Unless, of course, the thinking is, "it wont prevent internal hemoraging in the babe, thus, you still need the vit k for baby."

FWIW, you can get "liquid vit K." I forget where I was reading about it, but I think I may have seen it for sale at birthwithlove.com.

I think alfalfa is probably fine. 3 capsules a day is not all that much, imo.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
Old 05-23-2005, 04:09 AM

I just noticed this was a pretty old link. That's what I get for not looking at the DATE when I do a search.

Carry on.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i tyook 12 capsules a day last pregnancy, of pharmaceutical grade, organic alfalfa. Kept my water weight gain way down, took my rings off during labor and put them on the next day.

The pregnancy tea my midwife had me drinking had alfalfa, nettle, red raspberry, and something else in it.

Lily has thrived and been fantastic with all her exposure to alfalfa, I have continued to take it (in lesser amounts) since her pregnancy, and I wanted to note too that it is great for boosting milk supply too.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:54 PM

Nursing Mothers Herbal written by Shelia Humphrey published 2003, lists Alfalfa as a catagory A, the safest listing available. (She uses a Hale type catagory listing.)

On page 129 it is listed in a prenatal tea used to help with breast tissue during pregnancy.
page 309 Can cause diarrhea, if so reduce dose. Herbalist Mechell Turner recommends that women who take alfalfa during pregnancy, discontinue use for the frist 5 days after birth to reduce chance of oversupply of milk.
Allergy: Allergic reastions to alfalfa are not known.

From what I have read, seems pretty safe for pregnancy.
I am currently taking 4 caps a day along with adding it to my RRL tea.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou

User Tag List