safety of eye exams - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2004, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if eye exams, including eye dilation, are safe during pregnancy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about dialtation, I've never had that done. I can't see any danger in the exam though/ They don't really "do" anything. Your vision can change during pregnancy due to the fluid retention, so it may not be entirely accurate.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:36 PM

I don't know anything about dilation either, but I also wanted to state that vision can change during pregnancy, so if you're wanting to update a glasses Rx, it might be better to wait until after you give birth.

During my last pg, my eyes changed so much, that by the time DS was born, I couldn't wait to get new glasses. This time, I got a new Rx right before I got pg, (I get my eyes checked every year) so by the time the kid is born, I'll be able to get a new pair to make up for the "pregnancy blindness."

After my first, I had thought that my eyes would eventually go back to my previous Rx, but I asked the eye doctor about it when they hadn't changed after 6 mos pp, and he said that pregnancy changes in vision are permanent.

Thank goodness for vision insurance! :LOL
Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! My vision isn't too bad right now (I hope that continues!). The reason I want an eye exam is that I have had melanoma in the past, and my doctor recently told me that this puts me at higher risk for ocular melanoma and that I should get my eyes checked. I'm probably not pregnant, there's just a possibility that I _could_ be pregnant, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be doing anything unsafe.

User Tag List