What would you do? Measuring ahead at 22 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2004, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my dilemma:

I am seeing a homebirth midwife, and so far my pregnancy has been about as perfect as I could hope for. No morning sickness to speak of, weight gain fine (10-12 lbs in 22 weeks), feeling regular strong movements every day. We don't have any health insurance, and just barely enough to cover the MW fees.

My concern is I seem to be measuring about 4 weeks ahead of schedule.
This is my 5th child and when I felt like I was showing early, I just attributed it to this being my 5th, and I'm short-waisted (short everything except hair LOL) so I tend to show sooner anyways.
I felt flutters of movement at around 12-13 weeks, but I figured I'm just more experienced now, so I recognized it sooner this time. Besides plenty of women feel flutters at 12 weeks.
My MW commented last month that I was measuring a bit ahead, but then I was about 18 weeks, and even at my medical visits with my other kids they were always telling me I was measuring a bit ahead from 16-20 weeks. She's not one to comment on every little thing though (a cm or two "off" on fundal height), so it must have seemed different to her for her to even mention it.

Then yesterday I met a mom who has identical twin girls. She was planning a homebirth too, but at 22 weeks she was measuring ahead, and her MW reccommended getting an U/S to find out why, so that's when she found out. I mentioned all my stuff about being short-waisted, several kids already, etc. She said "That's what I thought too." The funny thing is I have been having funny thoughts/dreams, etc. about twins several times, but always figured I was just "daydreaming" or being silly.

So yesterday just for kicks I measured my bump. It was at 26 cm. I measured again, feeling very carefully to make sure the tape was at my pelvic rim and I really did have the fundus at the top. Still 26 cm.

I know my options are to find a way to get the U/S ($$$?) and peek at what's up, or try to leave it be and wait. What would you do? Has anyone else had an experience like this? I'm feeling pretty confused right now.

Kathryn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM

Kathryn, I actually went through something similar early on with this pregnancy, and I opted to go for the U/S, because my midwife was leaving the country, back when I was at 38 weeks, and we needed to have a plan in place if it was twins.

U/S confirmed a singleton, fundul height be darned.

The thing is that at 22 weeks, it won't be too long before it would be easy to pick up dual heartbeats, if you're carrying more than one, and also you're at the point where if it is two, you'll continue to expand rapidly.

I would have waited and not had the u/s if my midwife hadn't been leaving the country.

Are there twins in your family? There are in mine.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:59 AM

Aside from twins, it's possible to have complications that would cause you to measure much larger than dates, including excess amniotic fluid (hydramnios). It also could be just a big baby, already jumping way ahead of the pack!

As you asked for an opinion, I would probably try to find the money for the u/s to be on the safe side, especially if your next measurments with your midwife show another jump ahead. Maybe call and discuss your options with her? And ask around too if there's a way to get financial assistance for a medically necessary u/s?

Good luck, mama!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Plantmommy, best wishes to you for your homebirth! There are no twins in my family, except one of my mom's cousins who has identical redheaded twin girls (and identical twins are not genetic anyways).

NW mama, I recently signed up for a program in my state that provides healthcare for children without health insurance at very low premiums. I have heard that they offer some benefits for pregnant women too. I guess I need to call and find out what benefits are included.

If push comes to shove, I know Dh's parents and my parents could either/both afford to chip in some for a medically indicated U/S, and would most likely gladly do so.

DH's job situation is iffy as of this morning though (They got raided by INS and the company had lots of immigrant employees in various degrees of legality!) so that adds another wrinkle. :

Kathryn
Old 08-27-2004, 06:09 PM

The question is, how do YOU feel about it? What would change for you if you got an ultrasound and found out you were expecting twins? What would change for you if you discovered polyhydramnios? Would you recieve different care from your midwife? Would you modify anything that you're doing currently? Is it imperitive to find out NOW, or could you wait until later, and have your midwife test her listening/palpation skills?
We opted to do nothing with our last pregnancy (also my 5th). I'd had a single u/s with each of the other pregnancies to rule out twins (they run in our family), but decided not to bother with it for one simple reason - I wouldn't change anything I was doing regardless of the results. So basically, what I did was treat myself like I was carrying 2, and prepared for the possibility of birthing 2. I ended up with a 9 lb singleton, and wasn't sad, but it was fun preparing for the unknown (FWIW, it was only unknown because we did UP/UC. A good midwife would probably be able to clue you in on definite twins with enough time to prepare.)
Old 08-29-2004, 04:35 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about measuring ahead. I consistantly measured between 2 and 5 weeks ahead with both of my pregnancies. My midwife was never concerned about it at all. My dd was born 2 1/2 weeks early and weighed 6lbs11oz and my son was born 5 days before his EDD and weighed 8lbs13oz, so I wasn't even carrying really large babies.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Susan.

I ahve measured "ahead" a tiny bit with other PGs, but this is my 5th, and I don't recall measuring far ahead this late, usually I seem to "level out" by 20 weeks and measure close to "dates."

LOL! Who knows. I can't do anything but wait and see right now anyways. I'l just continue to take care of myself, and unwrap my little "Christmas Present" when the time arrives.

Kathryn
Old 08-30-2004, 06:45 PM

Hi Kathryn,
I measured ahead when pg with Madeline (hb). My midwife was not concerned, though of course the ob was (I was two-timing them for a while ). Turns out it was kind of like a growth spurt, she slowed down later in the pregnancy and was just 1-2 cm over the last few weeks. She did indeed turn out to be big (10 lbs 22 1/2"), and most certainly healthy.

My midwife did tell me that once she suspected twins and had another midwife come over and they both listened at the same time to try and distinguish two different heartbeats. I'm not crazy about ultrasounds, but if I suspected twins, I would sure want to know.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 09-01-2004, 03:05 PM

I am seeing a homebirth midwife. At 19 weeks I measure 26. She suggested an u/s and I didn't really want one but agreed. We're having twins. I'm glad I know now and have time to plan. Good luck deciding!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 PM

I hear that measuring 4cm over is normal. I would think that if you were having twins you would be measuring a lot larger than 4cm over by now. I am 8w3d pregnant with twins and am at 10cm already. I can only imagine how many cms over I will be by 22 weeks.

I do think that if you truly believe there may be two, that you get checked. You'd think that it would still be easy at 22 weeks to tell if there is only one inside of you. Maybe just getting palpated again by another MW or OB would be enough. You can "plan" for the posibility, but there are many things for a homebirth that should be prepared for if you truly are having twins.

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat
NW mama, I recently signed up for a program in my state that provides healthcare for children without health insurance at very low premiums. I have heard that they offer some benefits for pregnant women too. I guess I need to call and find out what benefits are included.
My state has a similar program, it's basically their medicaid program. They covered my pregnancy and 2 months pp 100%. I would definately check into it. I was even able to get my eyeglasses redone.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:48 PM

Well I would say get a sono simply because (trying to be honest) that's what I did when I was measuring 3 weeks ahead in my last pregnancy. And guess what?

IMO if you're having twins you really DO need to know. A lot changes. You need to be more careful about what you eat to ensure your body is getting enough nutrients. For example, I drank about a quart of milk a day, ate 2-3 eggs/day, and ate about 2 oranges or grapefruits/day. I also had to take extra iron, some of the B vitamins, and I think one more (magnesium maybe?) - above and beyond what was in my prenatal. That's just off the top of my head. Just the standard prenatal won't cut it - a twin pregnancy really can rob your body of nutrients, which is not good for you (e.g., calcium depletion of bones) or the pregnancy (e.g., body perceives starvation --> body decides to sacrifice baby to save your life) or the babies (e.g., born small for date AND pre-term). There's a lot of good info out there about how much of a difference excellent nutrition makes in the health of the babies and mama.

If you're worried about the safety of a sono, I would imagine it would take about 20 seconds at your stage to rule out twins. In fact, when I went in for my sono this go round to rule out twins again (because I'd already had twins naturally the chances were really high that I'd have them again!) at 8 weeks, it took less than a minute MAX. I just have a hard time believing that that tiny amount of exposure is really that significant.

Good luck and hope all is well, regardless of what you choose to do!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 AM

I measured 4 centimeters too big and did indeed have twins. I also had them at home past my due date by three very long days :LOL You can still have a very good and safe homebirth with twins Sheila Kitzinger did and they do it on the Farm

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
Old 11-26-2004, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you look at the post around here lately you will see we all seem to be measuring big- lol... at my 24 week I was well in to 27 week measurments. I swear there are two in there, but I have yet to get kicks in two place, besides today when I was in that half sleep so I cant be sure. I dont have insurance either, so I am just going with the flow. My MW will deliver twins at home anyhow, so I am not worried.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 06:38 PM

I actually felt more movement with my singleton pregnancy than with twins, because they just didn't have the room. one was just sedantary anyway, she's still the least active of the two

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy

User Tag List