Dilation and Effacement Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. My EDD is September 12. So, I have two weeks to go to EDD. I went to the doctor on Friday and he said I was 50% effaced and dilated to a 2! That was exciting to me but... I started thinking, what if I am dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced for two or more weeks?!

So, my question for all of you mama's with experience is were you ever told this (dilated to a 2, 50% effaced) and how long was it before you delivered your little one? This is my first pregnancy. My doctors guess is that I will probably not make it to my due date. But, I'll probably be pregnant for one more week?! Thanks, Katie~
#2 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 01:32 PM

Well... it's more common to start dilating/effacing earlier if it's not your first baby, in which case sometimes women walk around dilated for weeks or longer. But, since it is your first baby, you might well get lucky!
#3 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my first, I was dilated to 1 and was 70% effaced at 36 weeks, delivered at 39 weeks. With #2, I was dilated to 1 and 0% effaced at 36 weeks, delivered at 39 weeks. You never can tell with these things!
#4 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 05:08 PM

I went a little late with my first but walked around dialted to 3 and 70% effaced for over 3 weeks. It's hard to say, you could go soon or it could be a few more weeks. Hang in there mama.
#5 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 PM

I didn't dialate at all till labor with this one. Last time I was 3-4 at my due date. I don't get checked prior to my due date because for me at least, those numbers mean nothing. It could be weeks or minutes before labor starts.
#6 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is my first and I've been dilated to 4-5 cm and 80 % effaced for 2 weeks now. Before that I was dilated to about 2 since 30 weeks (PTL).

I'm hoping he decides to come soon!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 11 Old 08-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Yah know, don't mean to be a downer but anytime I have ever hear a Dr. say it's gonna be soon it seems the woman makes it to or past her due date! It must be one of Murphy's Laws I think I don't have personal experience but I have a friend right now who was 1cm and 50% at 30 weeks and she is now still pregnant EDD Sept.5, I have another who was 5 cms for a good week or more (and dilated less for a good couple weeks before that, she kept coming home from appts more and more each week... she had a very fast labour when it did occur about 2hrs). I haven't ever had an internal this time so I don't know.
#8 of 11 Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 AM

Yeah...I've been 2cm since August 20th....That was my ultrasound due date, my LMP due date was the 26th. This is my second baby, though...
You know what, it really doesn't mean anything except that there's that much less to labour through! (With my first I went into labour 50% effaced and not dilated, so it took like 6 hrs to get to 2 cm). But good luck anyways!
#9 of 11 Old 08-30-2004, 08:44 AM

With my first, walked around 2 cm and "soft" (25% effaced?) for about a week. I went two days past my due date, and they assessed him as being 41 weeks gestationally (we were never really sure about my LPM date).

With my second, we were not watching my dialation that closely leading up to my due date and beyond. I went a week over my due date.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#10 of 11 Old 09-02-2004, 07:05 AM

I was also wondering about the whole efacement/dilation thing since I have so much soarness, cramping and pain in my pelvic area (for 3 weeks now). My midwife said it makes NO difference what you are dilated or efaced... it could last weeks or minutes.... everyone is different. Same with the mucus... you may loose it early or just before labor.... you may loose it all at once or little by little over the coarse of days or weeks.

We're all soooo very different
#11 of 11 Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 AM

I just gave birth on Sunday and up until then, my midwife said was cervix was still really far back.. she said it would all happen at once, and it did (I was 40 weeks and 6 days). As far as the mucus plug.. I didn't lose mine until my water broke at 10 cms! I don't think dilating and effacing mean much.. you can go for weeks and weeks and be dilated and not go into labor, or you can have no cervical changes and have the baby in a few hours.

Mel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page