Unpasturized apple cider?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As it's a typical fall here in NH, I took DS apple-picking at a farm today and bought some locally made apple cider....but didn't realize it was unpasturized until I brought it home. : I *love* cider, but am pretty sure this is a no-no while pregnant. (I'm not ultra careful and only stay away from the "biggies"....but am unsure on this one) Anyone?

TIA!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#2 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:03 PM

I would likely stay away from drinking it cold while pregnant.

But, if I was pretty sure of the place that pressed it, I might heat it up on the stove with a stick of cinnamon. Hot apple cider--mmmmm, yummy!
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Where in NH are you? We always drink unpasteurised cider .. even when I'm pg. For a couple reasons ..

pasteurization may kill any bacteria, but it also kills everything beneficial in the cider. If you're uncomfortable with drinking it raw though, you can also boil it for 45 sec..

If you bought it locally, I'd say go ahead and drink it (Local to you) It's more likely to be fresh, and you can DEFINITELY tell when it starts to go hard.
#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:13 PM

WOW!!

We went to a farm in NH today to go apple picking :LOL In Walpole. How 'bout you?

I didn't check to see if their cider was pasturized or not, (and darnit, I didn't buy any). But I am jealous that you have unpasturized cider. Pasturization kills everything

In Vermont, they can no longer sell unpasturized. We'll be going back, and I'll have to get some if it is fresh and uncooked.

Amy
#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:20 PM

Pasturization is not a good thing IMO. If the place clean, and the cider looks good I'd drink it
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

We're in Bow (right outside of Concord) and the farm we went to was in Hopkinton (I think...) - Carter Hill. The cider was actually made on another NH farm (I had assumed they made it at the place we went to, but my mom actually grabbed it out of the cooler for me, DS was tearing around the farm stand looking for things to destroy ) Hmmm, maybe I'll make mulled cider out of it? I'd feel better if I could have seen where it was made, KWIM?

I was so "by the book" with my first pg - now, shy of scooping the litter box - there's not much I avoid...

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2004, 11:59 AM

I drink unpasteurized cider. I give it to my kids, too. My reasoning being: I think having the live enzymes intact is more important than killing everything off because of the very small chance of having harmful bacteria in it.

HOWEVER, I only buy unpasteurized cider from one local orchard. I've seen their press facility, and know how they run their operations, so I feel very safe drinking their cider. I don't even buy pasteurized cider from non-local orchards.
#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 PM

Ive been drinking it too and just found out am pregnant...good clean, fresh local source.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page