jazzercise safe during pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-23-2004, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jazzercise, an aerobics type work out, is very convenient to my home. i've never done it before. i don't mind staying in the back and going at my own pace, not allowing myself to get too winded. my edd is 02/25/05.
anyone familiar with jazzercise and see any reason i shouldn't enroll in the classes as long as i take things at my own pace?
#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2004, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would think it would be ok, as long as you listened to your body, stayed well hydrated and increased your calories to make up for the added energy output. Also, it's important to watch your heart rate - you want to try to keep it below 120.

Really listen to your body. If anything feels painful or uncomfortable, stop. March in place or something else.

#3 of 8 Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 PM

I used to do Jazzercise, and it would be a GREAT pregnancy thing. The program always includes a low-impact option for every single step / exercise, and you regularly monitor your heartrate, etc. Lots of encouragement for staying hydrated, too. I miss it-- it was really fun, MUCH better than going to the gym.
#4 of 8 Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 AM

i've seen a variety of opinions on HR - so i'm a fan of just listening to your body - make sure you're drinking enough, not sweating up a storm, and not out of breath - you should be able to carry on a conversation while exercising. sometimes i can get my HR between 140-145 under these conditions, other times i get BH contractions if i'm going over 120 - depends on the day, and the stage of pregnancy i've been at.

if you do the low impact versions, and are willing to take a break at some points if things are too intense for you, you should be fine!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#5 of 8 Old 09-25-2004, 05:07 PM

I thought 140 is the max, did it change to 120 BPM now?
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2004, 07:51 PM

I'm almost positive its still 140bpm...
sounds like fun!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#7 of 8 Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGS
I used to do Jazzercise, and it would be a GREAT pregnancy thing. The program always includes a low-impact option for every single step / exercise, and you regularly monitor your heartrate, etc. Lots of encouragement for staying hydrated, too. I miss it-- it was really fun, MUCH better than going to the gym.
Jazzercise Instructor, here !!!

Yes, it is totally safe to Jazzercise throughout your pregnancy. I did the whole 9 months I was pregnant with my daughter Actually... I stopped teaching at 39 weeks, and didn't go into labor until week 41 : Guess I should've kept teaching.

Anyhow, we are trained/REQUIRED to show low impact options during each routine. It also would be helpful if you spoke with your instructor prior to class, to let her know that you are pregnant. She will probably keep a closer 'eye' on you.

But, as with any time that you begin a new exercise regimen, check with your OB/GYN. If you have been exercising BEFORE your pregnancy, continuing should not be a problem. IF YOU HAVE NOT EXERCISED in a while, I really encourage you to take it slow at first, and by ALL MEANS -- check with your doc.

Any more questions.... I'm here.

It's my 1st post, even
#8 of 8 Old 10-07-2004, 03:30 PM

the book my OB handed me from ACOG says this about heart rate:

"Heart rate. Extra weight also makes your body work harder than it did before you were pregnant. This is true even if you are working out at a slower pace. Intense exercise boosts oxygen and blood flow to the muscles and away from other parts of your body - such as your uterus. If you can't talk at a normal level during exercise, then you are working too hard. Slow down."

so that's why i'm not setting an arbitrary limit on my HR... but i do find that i am out of breath if i get to about 145, so i'm naturally comfortable under 140 anyway.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page